Computer doesn't start

qwerty123z

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Hi I'm trying to fix my old pc I have an hp m9450f and it doesn't start. The hard drive is working fine I think because it's new and I tried it on my other computer and it worked. The problem is that when I turn it on nothing happens on the monitor. It stays black and my monitor switches from hd to analog to etc trying to find the signal for the cable.(monitor works fine) The only thing that happens is that the fan that spins very fast when you turn on a computer keeps spinning and it doesn't stop.
Could the motherboard be broken? and if so any ideas on a fix or replacement?

Solution
If you want to reuse your hp windows installation, you'll need another hp motherboard. For any non hp boards, you'll need a new windows coa. Check ebay for hp boards; yours has the g33 chipset, which isn't made anymore, but you'll likely find one on ebay. Otherwise, I recommend this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASRock-4Core1333-FullHD-Socket-775-Motherboard-w-PCI-E-HTPC-home-theater-hd-/310345452463?pt=Motherboards&hash=item484207cbaf. Whatever you buy, be sure it's micro atx.
Start by unplugging all the drives, both optical and hardrive. If it posts, reconnect each one at a time. If the system still won't post with the drives unplugged, then try each stick of ram one at a time in dimm slot one. But my money is on the power supply or motherboard. Get a decent power supply if you don't have one. newegg has a corsair 430w for $24.99 after rebate, a good brand at a good price.

qwerty123z

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011

I tried it and it still doesn't work, the power supply was able to power the system before it's a 460 w i think. The motherboard could be the problem any ideas for which motherboard I should buy? the hp m9450f doesn't say which motherboard it uses.

If you want to reuse your hp windows installation, you'll need another hp motherboard. For any non hp boards, you'll need a new windows coa. Check ebay for hp boards; yours has the g33 chipset, which isn't made anymore, but you'll likely find one on ebay. Otherwise, I recommend this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASRock-4Core1333-FullHD-Socket-775-Motherboard-w-PCI-E-HTPC-home-theater-hd-/310345452463?pt=Motherboards&hash=item484207cbaf. Whatever you buy, be sure it's micro atx.

Solution