Sign in with
Your question

Ok guys I think I get this temp thing with i5 2500k

Last response: in CPUs
April 10, 2011 2:59:21 PM

Hi.

Well, with stock cooler and arctic 5 re-applied I'm getting max 67 C with any test for over 15 min, so I think I set everything up right (in regards to paste and cooler).

Anyways, after reading quite a bit on the internet I've come to some pretty safe conclusions with regard to temps on the i5 2500k at least.

up to 70c core temps - You don't have to worry you're not going to hurt anything
over 70c - may be safe for short term, but you don't want a continuous long term situation at these temps - (low to mid 70's ok for short term)

over 80 - start worrying if it's running long like this (maybe)

over 90 - red zone (TROUBLE))

:) 

More about : guys temp thing 2500k

a b à CPUs
April 10, 2011 4:35:06 PM

For everyday Sandy Bridge overclocks I recommend:
Keep CPU voltage at 1.4v or lower.
Keep Prime95 peak core temps at 75ºC or lower.

Basically for a long-term core temp, take the TjMax temp and subtract 20ºC. With Sandy Bridge, TjMax is 98ºC, so the max long-term Prime95 peak core temp is 78ºC. You can keep a CPU at that temp for years without damaging it.
a b à CPUs
April 10, 2011 4:50:49 PM

@ OP, How many threads do you need on the same subject?
Related resources
a c 96 à CPUs
April 10, 2011 6:31:55 PM

Tcase max 72.6c

Tcase Load + 5c = Tjunction Load (Core Temperatures)
April 10, 2011 7:12:09 PM

Mousemonkey said:
@ OP, How many threads do you need on the same subject?

You're right, sorry.
a b à CPUs
April 10, 2011 7:17:57 PM

keto6789 said:
You're right, sorry.

Do you want to mark them as 'Solved' so that I can close them or shall I just merge them into one long mish-mash of a thread?
April 10, 2011 11:55:17 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Do you want to mark them as 'Solved' so that I can close them or shall I just merge them into one long mish-mash of a thread?

How do I mark them solved?
a b à CPUs
April 11, 2011 2:01:08 AM

Just select best answer
should be a "button" that says "best answer" in other peoples posts
do this for all your threads
whatever answer helped you the most

and again just relax and enjoy your computer
it is fine :)  LOL
April 11, 2011 2:06:54 AM

king smp said:
Just select best answer
should be a "button" that says "best answer" in other peoples posts
do this for all your threads
whatever answer helped you the most

and again just relax and enjoy your computer
it is fine :)  LOL

THanks King! Yeah, 67 c doesn't seem THAT bad a FULL load with Prime95. I'm gonna keep testing it though for a while to help break-in the grease, but I don't think I'd run Prime overnight or anything, probably just 20 minutes or so at a time.

I'm not gonna worry about an AM cooler right now cause the computer is nice and fast. I can't believe how fast videos play now compared to waiting up to 4 or 5 seconds for them to open on my Xp machine. Seriously, they open in about 1/2 a second now and my web browser opens in about 1 or 2 seconds. I can't imagine how fast an SSD drive would be!
a b à CPUs
April 11, 2011 2:33:04 AM

trust me i know
i am behind the times
6 months ago I went from a Dual P4 Xeon 3.2ghz IDE/AGP machine to now a E4500 Core2Duo @ 2.93 ghz PCIE/SATA
It feels pretty fast to me

Though I am sure that if I used a I7 system for a week and went back to the
Core2Duo I would think it was slow then :) 

It reminds me of my car stereo days
I remember putting in my first amp and bass box and thinking I would never need it louder

5 years later I had three amps,12inch sub,two ten inch woofers and 4 pairs of seperates in a Ford Mustang

the more you get the more you NEED!
!