Ok guys I think I get this temp thing with i5 2500k

keto6789

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Hi.

Well, with stock cooler and arctic 5 re-applied I'm getting max 67 C with any test for over 15 min, so I think I set everything up right (in regards to paste and cooler).

Anyways, after reading quite a bit on the internet I've come to some pretty safe conclusions with regard to temps on the i5 2500k at least.

up to 70c core temps - You don't have to worry you're not going to hurt anything
over 70c - may be safe for short term, but you don't want a continuous long term situation at these temps - (low to mid 70's ok for short term)

over 80 - start worrying if it's running long like this (maybe)

over 90 - red zone (TROUBLE))

:)

For everyday Sandy Bridge overclocks I recommend:
Keep CPU voltage at 1.4v or lower.
Keep Prime95 peak core temps at 75ºC or lower.

Basically for a long-term core temp, take the TjMax temp and subtract 20ºC. With Sandy Bridge, TjMax is 98ºC, so the max long-term Prime95 peak core temp is 78ºC. You can keep a CPU at that temp for years without damaging it.

i5_volt-spec.jpg

Tcase max 72.6c

Tcase Load + 5c = Tjunction Load (Core Temperatures)

keto6789

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011

THanks King! Yeah, 67 c doesn't seem THAT bad a FULL load with Prime95. I'm gonna keep testing it though for a while to help break-in the grease, but I don't think I'd run Prime overnight or anything, probably just 20 minutes or so at a time.

I'm not gonna worry about an AM cooler right now cause the computer is nice and fast. I can't believe how fast videos play now compared to waiting up to 4 or 5 seconds for them to open on my Xp machine. Seriously, they open in about 1/2 a second now and my web browser opens in about 1 or 2 seconds. I can't imagine how fast an SSD drive would be!

trust me i know
i am behind the times
6 months ago I went from a Dual P4 Xeon 3.2ghz IDE/AGP machine to now a E4500 Core2Duo @ 2.93 ghz PCIE/SATA
It feels pretty fast to me

Though I am sure that if I used a I7 system for a week and went back to the
Core2Duo I would think it was slow then :)

It reminds me of my car stereo days
I remember putting in my first amp and bass box and thinking I would never need it louder

5 years later I had three amps,12inch sub,two ten inch woofers and 4 pairs of seperates in a Ford Mustang

the more you get the more you NEED!