Lurker finally buying; need advice on my first gaming rig

G

Hello Everybody!
I've been on the forums for a while- lurking mostly, and started perusing the threads last august when I first became interested in building my own PC from scratch. I recently made a post entitled "I need Halp!", but that was riddled with uncertainty and general naiveness..

I'm a Mac guy. Not an Apple-fanboy, but I've only been accustomed to using macs over the last decade or so. Before that, I was an avid PC gamer- and I usually upgraded my own (it was much easier back then, I feel).

Since apple has become rather.. well, full of itself as of recently- maybe it's not a new trend with them, but it's even too much for me at this point.. I've decided to defect and get back into gaming... This is no way coincides with Starcraft II coming out by the way (yes it does). I also enjoy playing Battlefield BC2 on xbox live... and I know what you're thinking. "WTF?! Get a mouse and a keyboard already you newbious freak!", is probably echoing through your head right now.. I can hear it myself.

So with that, I ask of you fine gents and lasses, what do you think of this set-up:

Date of Purchase: Immediately
Price: $1500 Max.
Origin: USA
Usage: Gaming, Media, School Work

Intel Core i7 2500k "Sandy Bridge" w/ Intel P67 Mobo combo-deal at newegg, incl Civ 5
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.575877 - $426.98

EVGA NVIDIA 470 gfx card (will most likely upgrade using their warranty to the 580 when the price comes down or buy another 470 and use them in xfire or sli)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130550 - $259.00

Memory - I'm having a hard time finding a compatible set of sticks (I want 8 gigs, and want the option to upgrade to 12 later on) ~$100 -NEED HALP

Cooler - Looking for a good cooler, not H20 - ~$60 -NEED HALP

Soundcard (on board 64mb mem to free up processor) -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=29-102-019&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=(keywords)&Page=1#scrollFullInfo - $149.00

Case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112239 - $99

Total= $1,093 (not incl. mouse & keyboard)

WHAT D'YA PROS THINK?
Looking forward to contributing in the future as I re-learn PCs all over again.. Thanks to everyone for all your help and incredibly helpful advice! -Matt :bounce:

+1

To the OP...we need your monitor's resolution...or if you need one included in the build, do you need an o/s (windows), do you plan on doing dual vid cards later on, over clocking, etc... It helps us help you.

spending $149 on a sound card to save the cpu is a bad call . You'd be way better off spending the extra $149 on a better cpu or the extra RAM

Only get the sound card if you if you want extraordinary sound and have a set of speakers that will let you hear the difference . For everything else the onboard will be fine

G

Approximate Purchase Date: Immediately (today or tomorrow)

Budget Range: ($ 1,300) After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: extreme gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies, doing actual school work

Parts Not Required: Monitor (currently use a 28" Hanns-G Gaming LCD Monitor, 2ms, 1920x1200)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, tigerdirect (I heard that they build and test it for you!!!?)

Country of Origin: The Republic of Texas

Parts Preferences: I hear a lot of talk about the new Sandy Bridge hardware, and I'm really wanting a great gaming rig that will run the best games at the max settings for years to come

Overclocking: Yes, eventually

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe, after a year or two- to keep the newer games running smooth and clean.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Additional Comments: I like black and neon blue color schemes, looking forward to playing SC2, CIV5, BF:BC2,

G

It's not just to save the cpu-
I am an audiophile and have already bought a logitech 5.1 surround sound system.. so I do want more than the onboard sound. While I've heard a 3d gaming experience in person, I've never owned one... So this will be rather exciting.
:bounce: