PC died, need advice how to troubleshoot next.

Noobie101

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
PC specs:
Phenom 2 X6 mild OC to 3.5ghz
MSI 880GMA-E45 Mobo
16G DDR3 1600 ram
60G corsair SSD
1G HD
ASUS 5770 video
600w PSU
Windows Vista Ultimate

So I was online last night multitasking when my PC just turned off with no warning whatsoever. Like someone just unplugged it. Pressing the power button did nothing. My first thought was power supply. I looked for my old computer and removed my old 350w power supply. I removed the video card since the old power supply was inadequate to run it. Plugged it in and still nothing. The only thing I hear is the power supply making a very low noise when I pressed the power button. Same noise as when you try to release the energy after unplugging it and pressing the power button. That's as far as it goes. Now im thinking my mobo has gone bad. Any other ideas? Its not heat issue since my numbers are always cool. Case has 6 fan and keeps case less than 80f at any given time. CPU has aftermarket cooling and numbers are always low. The whole get up was purchased july of last year so its only about 9 months old. Although its on 24/7 for the past 9 months playing my MMO game. Only issue I had with this pc was a virus a few months ago that was resolved. ANy path forward would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Rudy

I'd hazard a guess that when your PSU died, it killed your motherboard too. But all you gotta do is test each component individually. Get some friends to help by testing your stuff in their computers.

Also, reset your bios.

Noobie101

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
I have good news and bad news for me. I tested my power supply on my friends PC and it works fine. It worked better than his power supply. Bad news for me since I was hoping its as easy as just replacing the power supply. So I guess I will breadboard what I have and hope it will post. If it doesnt, I guess I'll start replacing the MOBO and go from there.

TRENDING THREADS