[Help!] Asus Mobo + G.Skill Ram

Shubawks

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Hey guys, I'm not the one with the direct issue here, but one of my buddies got some new parts for his computer, he's living up north in CT (I'm from GA..) and I've been trying to help him the best I can, but at this point I'm as dumb founded as he is.

Now, I'm not a very computer-oriented person, however he has some sort of "ASUS P8Z68-V" motherboard, and he bought G.Skill (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314) to go along with it. He's running a nVidia GTX 460, and he bought a 600watt power supply to go along with it.

Basically, his issue is this - is DRAM Led light is Red, his computer screen won't turn on, and neither of us can figure out the issues.

If you have any directional base as to where i can find more information, or what the hell we're doing wrong, PLEASE let me know.

Thanks,
Shubawks

Shubawks

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

The ram is seated properly as far as I can see, and it's in the slots closest to the CPU. :/

Shubawks

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

Checking this out now. Will report back in a few minutes.

Shubawks

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Alright, we took it to stales and they fixed it behind the scenes some how. We've checked to make sure they kept all the same parts and everything is fine.

NOW a new ISSUE! :mad:

When we star the computer, it loads to a Windows 7 repair screen. When trying to repair, it says it "failed to repair" when trying to restore it says "failed to restore". The other options are

Boot to Recovery Image
Command Prompt
and one other..-

he doesn't have windows 7 at his apartment, so we can't just stick a disk in there and boot from CDrom, what's next? :/

AM2A

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
So they fixed it without fixing it, huh. If they charged you for the service I would go back and get them to fix it for free. I am really curious as to what they did...if all the hardware is the same I would have to guess that the problem was how the hardware was physically hooked up, specifically psu or cpu. Anyway, from your original post I am unsure as to the particular components he upgraded. When doing big upgrades it can make windows crazy. I would try booting in safe mode, also you can try the following:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392
Ultimately, they easiest option is probably doing a fresh install on another hard drive (if he has one).