Solved

Final check ordering tomorrow - 1st time builder

First want to say thanks to everyone that has replied to my previous threads! Have learned so much in the past 6 months :) Ordering tomorrow to build my first rig for my office. This is my newegg shopping cart:

Athlon II X4 635 Propus &ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA
Kingston ValueRAM 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
Rosewill Blackbone Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W
Windows 7
Total $418 shipped

Original thread here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/302774-31-under-buget-build-timer

Compatibility check and thoughts please! I am not so sure about the HDD after reading a few threads tonight is there faster options for a few dollars more? The PSU is also another slight concern I have, anything better for a similar price?
19 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about final check ordering tomorrow time builder
  1. Do you have (or live with anyone who has) a .edu e-mail address? If so, it's possible that you can get Windows 7 Pro for $65--see here.
  2. Hmmm I do not. But my mom is a counselor at a community college so I will ask if she has one. Thanks for that info!
  3. Spent a few more hours reading threads and wanted to know if spending another $50ish on a SATA 6Gb/s & USB 3.0 mobo and upgrading to a SATA 6Gb/s HDD would further future proof my build and increase performance?

GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0
    Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
  4. I would probably go with the SATA 6Gb/s and USB 3.0, but check out these articles, maybe they'll help you decide:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/186566/usb_30_finally_arrives.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#Revisions

Hope this helps!
  5. Thanks that gave me a lil more insight. I'm just wondering if I'm going a too overboard for a work PC that won't being doing too much more than simple multitasking. I'm still trying to get a grasp on all the new hardware and what is gonna be the "norm" in a couple years from now and what will be obsolete.
  6. Best answer
    It's possible that it might be a bit overboard, if you're just using it for simple office work (Microsoft Office, internet, e-mail, etc.)--that said, files, applications, etc. are always getting bigger, not smaller, so faster data transfer speeds could become nicer in the future.

If you've decided to go with it, I think it is a good general future-proofing choice, if you're still undecided, though, I'd probably skip it, all it'll mean is that -without USB 3.0 and SATA 6.0 Gb/s- you'll have to wait several seconds longer when you are transferring files on or off a USB stick, or making copies of files on your hard drive. Not a big deal, in my opinion.
  7. Talked to a few people with a little bit more knowledge than me, spent some more time reading/researching and just gonna skip the SATA 6 USB 3 for now. More than likely will build another next year as our office grows and can include then if I feel the need. Haven't ordered yet trying to decide on a couple things

Debating these two HDDs
    SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s $55
    Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s $40

And gonna get 2 x 2GB memory looking this but recent dead stick reviews have me a lil worried(someone ease my worries or link me some good memory)
    G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) $40
    I'm not quite sure how to tell if memory is compatible other than the QVL list. (the PC3 xxxxx is where I get lost not sure the difference between 10600 and 10666)

Any thoughts?
  8. I would go with the 500GB HDD--for average office use, you'll probably never fill 500GB in the lifetime of the computer. As for the RAM, I don't know anything about G.SKILL, but I'd just check their warranty, as many RAM makers offer even a lifetime warranty on their RAM.

Also, check Amazon.com and Superbiiz.com, in addition to Newegg, for RAM prices--you may find some better prices there.
  9. Thanks I've read the F3 is faster and for 15 bucks kinda hard to pass up and I'll shop around for memory a bit more. ATM trying to figure out whats compatible and what the numbers after PC3 mean and if they effect compatibility.
  10. You want to get the fastest memory that your motherboard can support (on the Newegg page for your motherboard, click on the "Details" tab and then take a look at the entry for "Memory Standard"). EDIT: And CPU can support (on the Newegg page for your CPU, click on "Details" and look at the entry for "Core"--it says Propus, right? Now look here. The entry for "Memory controller" shows the max DDR3 memory speed the CPU can use.)

Your motherboard can support DDR3 1333 (PC3-10600) speed memory without overclocking, as well as your CPU, so that's the kind you want. By the way, the "1333" = "PC3-10600"--see standard name and module name, for the full list, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR3_SDRAM#Modules

For compatibility, generally any name-brand should work (Kingston is a highly regarded brand, for one), but you can check the motherboard manufacture's page for your motherboard and probably get a specific list of "definitely will work" memory modules.
  11. See edits above, forgot about some things!
  12. Ok I was looking at the wiki page before you linked but I'm lost at whats the difference between 1333 (PC3 10600) & 1333 (PC3 10666). Is it basically the same but the 10666 a lil bit faster?
  13. Where are you seeing PC3 10666? I think that might be a typo... As far as I know, there's no such thing as PC3 10666, only PC3 10600 (and the other module names mentioned in the wikipedia article).
  14. Okay, I see that PC3 10666 does exist--but, I have no idea how it differs from PC3 10600--maybe the speeds are a little "tighter" on 10666 than 10600? I'm searching for an explanation...
  15. Here we go! An answer from our favorite forum: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274587-31-10600-10666-what-difference

:)

So, there we go, different names, but in reference to an identical performance level.
  16. Nice I just googled and found the same site plus a few more, damn manufacturers trying to confuse us noobs lol. Thanks for all the info/advice!!!!(both in my threads and others I've read) Been a big help and I have learned quite a lot :)
  17. Awesome! Glad to hear! :) Don't forget to use one of these when you're putting your build together (to be on the safe-side), and let us know how it goes!
  18. Best answer selected by imaurer269.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product