Dell l502x DDR3 update

celtcry

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Hi,

I wanted to know what king of DDR3 I could upgrade my system with? I've been looking around and it seems the laptop supports up to 8GBRAM (2x4 GB). I know this kind is usually used : 4 GB Pc3-10600 Ddr3 SDRAM 1333mhz. According to this site (http://www.memorystock.com/memory/DellXPSL502X.html), the L502X only supports Pc3-10600 but I wanted to know if I could install higher memory clock one (PC3-12800)? I want to optimize the RAM usage for my laptop. Any brands are good?

Thanks!

Solution
Dell charges double for it's ram; it has to make money somewhere. If you can find the same brand and speed cheaper elsewhere, then get it. Some dells use samsung ram, but you need to pull a stick to inspect. Bottom line; it's safer to use the same speed/brand to be sure it works.

celtcry

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

Ok, I understand the first part but for the second part, stock Dell RAM is as good as any other brand?

Thanks for the quick reply!

Dell charges double for it's ram; it has to make money somewhere. If you can find the same brand and speed cheaper elsewhere, then get it. Some dells use samsung ram, but you need to pull a stick to inspect. Bottom line; it's safer to use the same speed/brand to be sure it works.

Solution