Closed Solved

Photo Edit PC Help

I am looking to build a photo editing PC and wanted opinions on my build below. I already have a HTPC for my home theater so likely won't be watching any movies and I don't play computer games. It will basically be used for photo editing and daily usage like internet browsing and word processing. I already have a cooler master ATX mid tower case.

Approximate Purchase Date: in the next month
Budget Range: $600-800 after rebate
System Usage: photo editing (photoshop, lightroom), internet browsing, word processing
Overclocking: No
SLI or Crossfire: Maybe
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200, looking to buy the HP ZR24w

My only other question is it possible to get an i5 sandy bridge system for the price, and if so would I better off doing that or sticking with this build?

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5247/5356535018_800c7f5405_b.jpg
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about photo edit help
  1. Best answer
    Sure you can get an i5 Sandybridge system in your price range. Check out this configuration, which even includes shipping and a case to put it all in:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge for $225 This chip will perform better than the AMD you originally selected, plus it has the high end integrated graphics option.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-H67M-D2 LGA 1155 Intel H67 for $102. Might want to upgrade this a bit - it is an H67 board to take advantage of the graphics, but does not appear to have the latest USB 3.0 connectors.

RAM: WINTEC AMPX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 for $42. This is a manufacturer I have not heard before, but it has 78 reviews with 5 eggs, so is probalby a safe bet. Selected it becasue it has low (1.5v) voltage.

DVD: ASUS Black 24X DVD for $17. Standard issue, nothing special.

Power Supply: CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 CMPSU-430CX 430W for $37. Don't need a lot of power, since no dedicated graphics, and the CPU only consumes 95 Watts.

Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB for $55 (must purchase by 1/19). Get this now, even though the promo code lasts until 1/19, it will most likely sell out. I am buying 2 of these at this price.

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit for $100. You orignally had the professional version selected - are you doing a lot of networking, in particular do you need remote desktop? That is the only reason to spend an extra $40 on the professional version.

Wireless:TP-LINK TL-WN781ND IEEE 802.11b/g/n PCI Express Wireless Adapter for $20 Kept this the same from the original config.

Total on this config is a low, low $598 - note that to get some of the discounts you have to start purchasing this weekend.
  2. Much more efficient, much higher quality, 40C rated power supply; much better than that Corsair is the Antec Earthwatts Green 380D $45 ($3 shipping). Unfortunately you will either need to already possess a power cord to use with it or buy one. But really the difference in quality between them is light years considering the price difference.

I think one of the best options for a case under $90 is the Cooler Master HAF 912. Which even comes in a combo with a very nice power supply at a very attractive price as well:
    Cooler Master HAF 912 & Cooler Master Silent Pro M600 $130 ($20 rebate)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.585946
  3. Thanks for the help on the i5 build, eloric. I do have a couple more questions putting together the build.

MOBO: I am looking to get this intel mobo. I would like to get one with display port as that is what my monitor has. Will this work?
    Intel BOXDH67GD LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Memory: I want to get 8GB of memory. I am looking to get 2x4GB sticks below. Is there any benefit to getting 4x2GB vs 2x4GB?
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory

Hard Drive: I am looking to get a SSD just to run windows on, though I would rather not spend too much money. Kingston has either an 8GB ($45) or 16GB ($60) that I could afford. Would either of those work or would I be better off just getting an 80GB standard drive?
    Kingston SSDNow S100 SS100S2/8G 2.5" 8GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    Kingston SSDNow S100 SS100S2/16G 2.5" 16GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Windows 7: the only reason I was looking to get the professional version is for the automatic network backup utility. I have an external hard drive hooked up to my router that I back my photos up to. Do I need professional to be able to do this?

Thanks in advance for your help.
  4. Best answer selected by Buckeyedoc.
  5. This topic has been closed by Maziar
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Photo Systems Product