Looking for a new HSF.

Gavlar

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
Hey, Im new to Tomshardware :D

Im currently running a stock HSF on a non-overclocked AMD Phenom II X4 940.

Although, after a long time, it's volume is starting to become a little annoying.

Im looking to replace the stock HSF with another, far quieter, one. Or, maybe even a water cooler.

I don't really know anything about HSF, so any help and advice is much appreciated.

Also, I was looking at the Corsair H50 Liquid CPU Cooler. Thoughts and opinions?

Thanks a lot,
Gavin.

Gavlar

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
I dont really want to spent too much, but I guess my max wouldn't be too far over £57 (how much the Corsair H50 Liquid CPU Cooler is), although I'd like to spend less where possible.

I have an Antec 300, and I've plenty of space.

Thanks for your help.

soloby

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
I didn't realize you were a newcomer, so first off let me welcome you to tomshardware, the best place to come when looking for advices relating to computer.

With that budget, you can afford a very good heatsink.

UK£ 57 = 93.1893 U.S. dollars

with that, I believe you can buy a Noctura D14, which is arguably THE BEST air-cooling solution for you CPU. It will match if not beat the performance of the H-50 (plus you won't have to go through the hassle of Liquid cooling :D)

It's funny because in Newegg (I don't think ships outside the NA region), it costs exactly $93.

Look around your preferred sites to see how much it is in there, and if it's in the budget range, you will not regret buying it.

The next best thing would be the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ which is just an amazing value for the performance you get, and quite possibly the most recommended HSF at the moment.

I have the 212+ and it's keeping my i5-2500k under 70 at load running at 4.5ghz! (Keep in mind I live in Georgia, it's VERY hot)

I'm not sure about other people, but I always preferred air cooling, and you will not go wrong with either of those two choices, which give you amazing performance, even competing with the liquid cooling solutions.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=35-608-018&ReviewNo=1836850&SortField=0&Pagesize=10&IsFeedbackTab=true&rdm=54#scrollHelpful1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065&cm_re=hyper_212%2b-_-35-103-065-_-Product

Again, I do not think newegg ships outside the NA region, so you will have to look on the web for a good seller that will ship to your place.

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask, there are MANY computer experts in tomshardware!

Gavlar

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
Hi, thanks for the reply.

After closer inspection, its my graphics card's fan which is making the most noise.

Any advice on quietening it? (I've removed it and cleaned some dust from the fan, but its still loud.)

Thanks.