Video card suggestions

Current Spec.

Amd Phenom II x4 965
MSI 890FXA
8g ddr3 ram
HAF 922
Thermaltake "black widow" 550w psu

i currently have an ati 4890, but i am very interested in upgrading with cost in mind.

i feel stuck in between a 5870 and a shiny 6870.

i know the 6870 is a much better deal, but will i be regretting not having that extra bit of performance that the 5870 offers or will it be negligible playing on an HP 23" at 1600x900?

ive read up on benchmarks that the difference between the two in terms of fps is forgivable most of the time, but i feel like i should consult you guys as a final decision type of thing before i go forward with the 6870.

another thing that i am considering is that another 6870 with a psu upgrade for CF would be awesome down the road should i be endowed for more than one display or various other factors, but like i said before, i want to hear from you guy's two cents before i go with this.
4 answers Last reply
More about video card suggestions
  1. At 1600x900 the 5870 and 6870 are both overkill. :) You just do not need either of those cards to perform very well at that resolution.

Even @ 1920x1080 resolution you could do fine with a 5850 or 6850. :)

To be honest though, at 1600x900 your current GPU is perfectly suitable. Unless you just want DX11 capability? Frankly, without a monitor upgrade, getting a new GPU just for DX11 is probably not worth it as of right now. Just not enough DX11 based games to make it awe inspiring yet in my mind.

Not to mention, a Crossfire 6870, or 6850 would be wasted on a 1600x900 setup.
  2. If I were you i would stick with what you got unless you really want dx11 at 1600by900 your card will do just fine i know this because i have a ati 4890 and it ran games just fine at 1920by1080 on my 32" i ran them almost max to for a lot of them and now i have 2 4890's in CF and i can run almost every game max no problem. That being said i would wait for something newer and why not upgrade your monitor something bigger with a higher res before you get a new graphics card?
  3. yeah i was considering that as well. but if i am getting artifacts in CoD black ops with my current setup i assumed it was time for a new gpu that was a little more brawny with good options down the road.

also i forgot to mention i plan on getting new monitors alltogether forgot that detail that i should have mentioned. essentially i want a single card to replace my 4890 for the time being right now, as i am passing it on to a friend since he is less fortunate on hardware.

i guess i am in a state of overkill but i want it to be stable once i get the monitors come sometime after christmas

but you guys definitely gave me some thinking to do as i should hold on to this until displays. thanks guys.
  4. joerge said:
    yeah i was considering that as well. but if i am getting artifacts in CoD black ops with my current setup i assumed it was time for a new gpu that was a little more brawny with good options down the road.

also i forgot to mention i plan on getting new monitors alltogether forgot that detail that i should have mentioned. essentially i want a single card to replace my 4890 for the time being right now, as i am passing it on to a friend since he is less fortunate on hardware.

i guess i am in a state of overkill but i want it to be stable once i get the monitors come sometime after christmas

but you guys definitely gave me some thinking to do as i should hold on to this until displays. thanks guys.

No problem passing along hardware is something I understand my brother still has my old amd 4200x2 still going strong over clocked from 2.2 to 3.1ghz for almost 5 years amazing it still works at least he got a 8800gt and is not still using my old 7600gt. If you want to buy a card i would get the 6870 great price to performance and cheaper than a 5870 and put the money you saved in to a really nice monitor :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics