Sign in with
Your question

Which brand to get for GTX 460

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 15, 2010 11:18:07 PM

Im looking to upgrade my 8800 GTS to a GTX 460. Looking to get the 1gb version and there are a few manufacturers I was looking at. Theres the EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte, and the ASUS. Im kinda leaning toward the EVGA as since that is what my 8800 is but I have been reading that the gigabyte was can OC easily and has 2 fans but seems to be iffy on the reliability and MSi has that cyclone one that looks interesting.

More about : brand gtx 460

a c 130 U Graphics card
November 16, 2010 8:23:29 AM

I would say go with what you know. EVGA make very good cards then i would have trouble splitting the ASUS or MSI cards based on build quality etc with the Gigabyte last.

Mactronix :) 
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2010 8:36:47 AM

Go for one in which YOU trust, the brand which offers the most warranty, the most bundles (games and accessories) and the one YOU like the look of.

I prefer the reference cards over the "custom" ones. BUT this is my preference, and it would suit your needs more if you picked the one which YOU want more.
Usually the reference boards are pretty much identical in performance, but vary in looks (meaning, a different logo per manufactuer)

But usually as a guide go for it based on this:

1 - Warranty - The more the better. Lifetime may not mean lifetime, check small print
2 - Price - Sometimes getting the most/least expensive one isnt the best option. Check prices.
3 - Bundles - Some come with games, some dont, alos check the accessories list as they may come without a DVI adaptor or something (most do now anyways)
4 - Looks - Get a card you like the look of!
5 - Reviews - Always check reviews, as whats better than having a heads up onto what problems other people have experianced.
Related resources
a c 189 U Graphics card
November 16, 2010 8:44:50 AM

Maybe ASUS card with Direct CU on it? It allow you to change voltage on the card, makes this card is superior when it comes to OverClocking....
November 16, 2010 9:00:14 AM

Even though EVGA usually is a bit more expensive it would be best to get that in my opinion especially the FTW version it has a core clock of 850MHZ. Oh yeah if you want fast and cheap but I guess in my experience good, get the Palit GTX460 Sonic Platinum 1GB, its has a core clock of 800MHZ slightly below the FTW but still worth it
a c 175 U Graphics card
November 16, 2010 9:21:45 AM

Make sure the cooler isn't too wide or too tall to fit.
I got the MSI Cyclone, and it is installed in a Lian Li PC-Q08R mini-ITX case. Yes, it warms it up a little, but not too bad.
I chose MSI because it is supposed to be one of the quieter models. I have not been disappointed.
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2010 10:49:17 AM

reccy said:
Go for one in which YOU trust, the brand which offers the most warranty, the most bundles (games and accessories) and the one YOU like the look of.

I prefer the reference cards over the "custom" ones. BUT this is my preference, and it would suit your needs more if you picked the one which YOU want more.
Usually the reference boards are pretty much identical in performance, but vary in looks (meaning, a different logo per manufactuer)

But usually as a guide go for it based on this:

1 - Warranty - The more the better. Lifetime may not mean lifetime, check small print
2 - Price - Sometimes getting the most/least expensive one isnt the best option. Check prices.
3 - Bundles - Some come with games, some dont, alos check the accessories list as they may come without a DVI adaptor or something (most do now anyways)
4 - Looks - Get a card you like the look of!
5 - Reviews - Always check reviews, as whats better than having a heads up onto what problems other people have experianced.

Best Answer
!