Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Corsair or other major brand?

Last response: in Systems
January 15, 2011 12:13:04 PM

So I'm about to buy a new pc built by cyberpower, but I'm not sure about the memory. I wanted 2x4gb and the only option they have for that is "Corsair or Other Major Brand". This seems strange since the 2X4gb offering of 1600 speed has specified offerings (Kingston, Corsair Dominator). Does anyone know which RAM they default to? Is this something that I could specify if I made the order over the phone as supposed to doing it online?

Thanks!

EDIT: Also, for those who have bought from them before, what exactly is entailed in the different tiers of overclocking? They just have CPU performance percentage upgrades and that's all. Is their OC'ing solid? Why would there be a price difference between OC'ing 20% and 30%?

More about : corsair major brand

January 15, 2011 4:20:30 PM

I wouldn't pay them one dime for 20-30% OC....(if it was a $20 option, perhaps, but, it is quite easy to do yourself, especially with 2500k/2600k cpu/P67 mb!)

The higher your resolution, especially at 1920x1200 or above, the less impact a few more hundred MHz clock speed from cpu has...

Put that money into at least a GTX570, and, preferably a 580....
Score
January 16, 2011 8:56:21 PM

mdd1963 said:
I wouldn't pay them one dime for 20-30% OC....(if it was a $20 option, perhaps, but, it is quite easy to do yourself, especially with 2500k/2600k cpu/P67 mb!)

The higher your resolution, especially at 1920x1200 or above, the less impact a few more hundred MHz clock speed from cpu has...

Put that money into at least a GTX570, and, preferably a 580....

Now that I"m thinking about it, I will OC it myself. Thanks for pushing me in the right direction.

Do you happen to know anything about the memory? I'll try to call them tomorrow when their customer support phone lines are open, but I'd love to hear from someone not directly tied to them.
Score
Related resources
February 11, 2011 12:41:07 AM

Unleaded said:
Now that I"m thinking about it, I will OC it myself. Thanks for pushing me in the right direction.

Do you happen to know anything about the memory? I'll try to call them tomorrow when their customer support phone lines are open, but I'd love to hear from someone not directly tied to them.

Hey, Unleaded.

I was just wondering if you got your rig yet. I'm curious to know how your experience with CyberpowerPC went (or is going) as I just put in an order for a new rig myself.

Thanks in advance.
Score
February 13, 2011 12:50:31 AM

wondering that myself, I have also put in an order with them and hoping it will be a good expieriance
Score

Best solution

February 13, 2011 2:03:00 PM

I've had a great experience with my cyberpower pc, though it hardly resembles the PC I originally bought last march. I would definitely do it again if they continue to put PCs together with the same quality level that I received mine and cheaper than I could piecing it together...

About the RAM though... I chose the Kingston HyperX 1600 option with mine. When I received the PC, the RAM wasn't set clocked at 1600 and SPD sets it to 1066 which is the Intel spec. Running at SPD (1066), the RAM ran within Intel voltage specifications no problem. But running at the RAM's possible 1600 mHz clock speed required upping the voltage to 1.75 volts. This is beyond Intel specification of RAM running at 1.65volts max. The reason this is an issue is the memory controller is integrated on the i7 and exceeding the 1.65 volts max on your RAM could potentially damage the controller on your processor (and most certainly voids any warranty on the i7). As a result, I picked up some OCZ 1600 speed RAM that requires a max of 1.65 (really set at 1.64 in the BIOS running stable) volts to run at full speed.

If they continue to build PCs with components I want more cheaply than I can put them together, when I order from cyberpower again, I'll probably get the lowest common denominator when it comes to the RAM and just go pick up some good stuff on my own.

On a side note, when I ordered my PC last year, one thing I wished would have also been a choice was the brand of standard HDD. As a result, I got my PC with a single Intel SSD and added the hard drives after the fact.
February 13, 2011 4:49:41 PM

Thanks for the response ubercake.
Score
February 13, 2011 10:48:47 PM

Personally, if you can find a local shop that builds, you might be able to get better support.
Score
March 1, 2011 1:17:17 PM

If it says corsair or other its usally the generic lower grade corsair.
You can call them and see if you can get a different memory manufacturer from them.
Usually you can if they have it in stock as long as its adata corsair or kingston.
Hmm didnt see how old the op was at first guess he should have his system by now.
Score
March 20, 2011 11:25:15 AM

Best answer selected by Unleaded.
Score
February 3, 2012 9:04:14 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!