Code 39 on Multiple Cards

KSOVII

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I have been trying to get a TV tuner card in my system for a while now, and after multiple failures, I have decided to see if anyone here can help. I have used two cards, both of which were stated to work with Windows 7 64-bit, one was PCI-E 1x, one was just PCI. Both are recognized and show up in the device manager, but they both have the error, "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)." I have tried a variety of drivers with each of them, but I always get the same error. I installed while in safe mode, completely removed old drivers before installing new ones, etc. but it never accomplished anything. I then started working on trying to see if the error wasn't related to the individual cards, so I looked up the problem and tried a variety of suggesting fixes. I deleted the upper and lower limit portions of the "Sound, video and game controllers" registry section. I let Windows use unsigned drivers by choosing so through the advanced boot options (pressing F8 during start-up). I also let it use unsigned drivers through the command prompt command "bcdedit /set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS" and through the group policy editor. I even used Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider to forcefully sign the unsigned drivers listed in the driver details section of the card's properties page. When I check the event log, it warns that "The driver \Driver\HCW85BDA failed to load for the device PCI\VEN_14F1&DEV_8880&SUBSYS_85510070&REV_04\4&2f320afa&0&00E3" with a source of Kernel-PnP and event ID of 219.

In case anyone was wondering, my system specs are:
ASROCK X58 EXTREME 1366 RT Motherboard
4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600MHz RAM
700W power supply
The two TV tuner cards are an SAA7130 and a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1290 (Model 85xxx) *I don't have the exact model

If anyone knows any possible solutions, I would really appreciate it if you would share them.

KSOVII

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
The cards both worked on another Windows 7 64-bit system. In fact, the one I have in now (The Hauppauge one) was just in another system and working a day before I put it into mine.

KSOVII

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Nope. Same issue. I basically already did this manually by deleting the old HCW85BDA.sys file and updating, and also by putting in my own. There must be some way to fix this issue without resorting to a clean install of Windows (There are no system restore points that I can use either).

Hauppauge cards are always a pain in the ass, working in one system doesn't mean they are going to work in another as they are that touchy and others are barely any better. I have since only used ATI due to third party support despite their terrible drivers.

KSOVII

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
The only other card in the computer before the TV tuners was my graphics card. There are no problems with it. nforce4max, I've tried three different cards. Only one is a Hauppauge, the other is a Sabrent, and I didn't mention this before, but I also tried an ATI TV Wonder 650 card which gave me the same error (this was months ago). I can't imagine that all of these cards just don't work and that all of my PCI and PCI-E slots (except my graphics card slot) don't work. I might just have to do a clean install of Windows 7 if I can't figure this out within the next month or so.

I didn't say this but I have had issues with getting them to work properly in Vista 64 and you are having issues with them in Win7 64 so I have tried on my other machine that had Vista 32 and got them to work properly but that was only with ATI 550 that is pci.

clivebarrows

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Have you resolved this issue? I've been looking for months for someone with a similar problem. I've been through 3 usb and 2 cards 1 pci and the other pcie. All have had the exact same problem, no matter what i do or try it always comes back code 39. The card I'm using now worked well in an older system. Please let me know if you have any other ideas, it's been sometime so I''m hoping you have a direction to go.
thanx