Sign in with
Your question

Need revision on a future build

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 15, 2011 4:09:33 PM

I have been doing my own research to the components that you will see below. Budget is around $900 or so. So, would all the following parts be compatible and work together?

PSU - Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750-Watt TX Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply compatible with Intel Core i7 and Core i5

GPU - XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB DDR5 2DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card HD577XZNFC

Tower - Antec Nine Hundred Steel ATX Ultimate Gamer PC Case (Black)

CPU - Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366 Desktop Processor

RAM - Corsair HX3X12G1600C9 XMS3 12 GB PC3-12800 1600Mhz 240-pin Triple Channel Core i7 DDR3 Memory Kit

Motherboard - Asus LGA 1366 Intel X58 Extreme Reliability and Durability ATX Motherboard Sabertooth X58

HDD - Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Green SATA Intellipower 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive WD10EARS

DVDRW - LG Electronics 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Internal Drive GH24NS50 (Black)

(I would like to have 2 monites eventually. I will not be overclocking anything.)

Thanks

More about : revision future build

a b B Homebuilt system
January 15, 2011 4:23:54 PM

you could save some by dropping to 6gb kit (3x2BG) if gaming; the extra 12 GB has no benefit except to separate you from your dollars. If gaming at 1920x1200 is a priority, dump any saved money into a GTX580 if possible.
m
l
January 15, 2011 4:33:49 PM

I'll be gaming and using other programs like Sketchup, photoshop, and what not. Gaming wise, I'm only playing Guild wars 2, maybe starcraft 2 on this machine. No FPS or anything else. So, that expensive card won't be necessary for me lol.

Other than that, 6 gigs could cover it. I want this machine to last me for about 4-5 years. Everything else checks out though? All those components will work together??
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 15, 2011 4:42:08 PM

Yeah, you'll only need 6GB RAM (you can add more later since there are 6 RAM slots).

I would bump up the PSU to the 750HX (not TX). The quality is a bit better, and you'll get more power and modular (i.e. removable) cables.

Also, ditch that Caviar Green hard drive. It's going to be as slow as molasses doing anything, since it's at laptop-drive speeds.

I would also recommend a good, cheap CPU cooler like the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ if you're going to be doing a decent amount of work on your system. It's under $30 on Amazon with free shipping, and it's cool and quiet.
m
l
January 15, 2011 4:57:24 PM

Alright. Why don't I bump it down to 650HX (modular)? I'm thinking I won't need the 750. We're talking about that graphics card, the CPU, the case fans, motherboard, maybe 2 HDD's eventually needing power. 650 watts cut it for all that? Alright, I'll get rid of the slow HDD then :D .

The stock cooler won't cut it for the CPU? The case itself has SO many fans already.
m
l
January 15, 2011 5:29:10 PM

Anyone out there :p ?
m
l
January 15, 2011 6:59:32 PM

Hello?? I need a little more help here :S
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 15, 2011 11:17:21 PM

Sorry, didn't get a chance to get online since then.

You should be fine with the 650HX. I was just trying to get you to get a HX model, since it is built better and is modular. My 650 delivers about the same power, and look at what it runs ;) 

Those Caviar Greens are meant for things like enterprise data storage; they access information so slowly that it would make your life miserable because Photoshop and the like would take minutes to load.

The stock cooler will work ok; I was just saying that if you plan on doing a lot of work on your computer often, a good cooler would be a good idea. Plus, it ain't all that expensive ;)  I did a stress test in my system and never hit over 50C :D 
m
l
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
January 15, 2011 11:20:19 PM

Well I have a suggestion for your build :p  I think I posted on your other post but. My take on a 900$-1000$ build is in my siggy or check it out http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore

I think you'll find better performance.

EDIT and since your non really gaming, you could just drop the 6870 in my build and change it out for a 6850 or your 5770. That'll drop it down to your price. You'll see better performance with the newer architecture.
m
l
January 15, 2011 11:49:14 PM

Niceee Boiler :D !! I changed all that crap out. Azn is helping me with another build on that site he posted here. Any thoughts on that?

P.S. I know I have 2 threads open. I wasn't getting many replies, so I felt I should make a new one
m
l
!