Need advice building a PC sound system

djsprinkle

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
I'm kind of a noob when it comes to PC sound systems so I don't know exactly what I need. I was using a Klipsch Promedia 2.1 system but the sub went dead so I've decided to upgrade. I purchased an X-Fi fatal1ty soundcard and I'm considering something like this Polk audio subwoofer http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290034&cm_re=subwoofer-_-82-290-034-_-Product.

I know that sub is for a Home Theater system but I thought I could get it to work on my PC using the new soundcard with the old Klipsch speakers. I bought a 'trial version' at Best Buy to test out but I don't know how to hook things up right. I was using the analog input in the soundcard which works for the sub, but then apparently I have no way to have regular speakers as well.

So my questions are, is it possible to use a home theater sub like this in my PC and what will it take to get it working? Will I be able to still use my Klipsch Promedia speakers? Any other suggestions on what I should buy instead?

teaser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
Sure you can use a home theatre sub on your system,you'll need a home theatre reciever though...I have a kenwood home theatre 5.1 system hooked up to a Yamaha home theatre reciever,you'll need 1/8 in stereo to rca cables (2 of these),one for the front(or main) channels and one for center and/or subwoofer,then plug the rca jacks into the analog inputs on the reciever or use a tosliknk for digital audio,then you only need the toslink cable for digital...or you could buy a good pair of powered 2.1 speakers for your pc or a nice powered 5.1 system

djsprinkle

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Okay thanks, so is there any way to use it without a receiver? Say I bought a pair of powered 2.0 PC speakers to use in conjunction with the powered sub? I want to avoid as much clutter as possible so 2.1 without a receiver would be ideal.