Tags:
  • New Build
  • Gaming
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
January 15, 2011 4:46:16 PM

Hello everyone

I'm new to the board, but I've been diggin trough some articles on the way to a computer built i consider to be capable of most sorts of highend-gaming. I love gaming, but unfortunately I never had the chance to play on a system that is made for it, been playin on cheap hp notebooks with immense heat issues. Since I am not an experienced computer builder I'd highly appreciate if someone could verify that these components are well picked for a highend gaming system. All inputs welcome.

CASE CORSAIR 700 D

PSU CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX (850 W)

CPU Intel Core i7 2600K BOX, 3.4GHz, LGA 1155, 4C/8T, unlocked

MOBO GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD7 (I picked this board cause i want to be able
update my comp for Crossfire - provided i ever need it)

GRAPH ASUS HD 6970 2GB, PCI-E x16 2.0, DP, HDMI

HDD CORSAIR Nova V128 SSD MLC 2.5" SATA-II

MONITOR ALIENWARE OPTX 23" AW2310

KEYBOARD Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750

MOUSE Saitek Cyborg R.A.T.7 Gaming Mouse, 5.600 dpi, USB

CDDRIVE dunno yet, won't be a big deal to find a working one

More about : gaming built verification

a b 4 Gaming
January 15, 2011 9:11:17 PM

All compatible.

The Corsair 700D has a reputation for being a poor air cooling case, don't really know why, yet a very good water cooling case. I think that if you don't have aspirations to fully watercool your build in the future then you may be better off finding a cheaper case and just saving the money.

Hyper-threading has no advantage in a gaming build, for that reason the i5-2500K is the better choice because it is cheaper. So unless you do other more processor intensive tasks with this machine then change it to the i5-2500K.

Seeing as you went for the K variant, I would assume that you are interested in overclocking. Do you want recommendations for a heatsink?

You have not listed any RAM, what where you thinking of using? I will say again that for a gaming build 4GB is plenty, altho if you are doing other things then maybe it would be appropriate to get more.

6970s don't use that much power, so even a build with two of them could be run on a good 750W PSU. You may also want to check out buying a 6950 and unlocking it to a 6970.

You should probably add a mechanical harddrive to your build because 128GB will get used up quite quickly. Samsung Spinpoint series what I prefer based on reading reviews, however WD have useful free programs and utilities which you can only install on your system if it can detect a WD harddrive somewhere in that system, so you may be better off going with one of those.
January 16, 2011 8:26:55 AM

Hello Silvune

Thanks for the quick answer.

Yeah I indeed forgot to list the RAM : Corsair CMT6GX3M3A1866C9, 3x2GB, DDR3-1866, CL9@1.65V

Actually I didin't intend to overclock the machine right away cause i'm an utter noob and i wouldn't want to take the risk to overclock a machine on that most of the games probably run sufficiently fluent. I picked overclockling friendly components just to have opportunities to get more out of the machine if required - is that atypical? >_> Therefore i didn't intend to use watercooling right away either, cause it would be easier to me to let the machine run with the stock vents in the beginning as I can safe money for that once i have my machine built up. Is it horrifying not to get the max out of a machine if it's not needed? :p 

I would sure appreciate a heatsink suggestion since I'm a bit afraid to build a watercooling into my comp just cause of it's need to be regularly maintained. I'm really a slacker.

I picked the Corsair after weeks of diggin' computer component sellers cause it actually meets my aesthetic standarts - most reviews i read were also rather positive... i even considered building a gaming rig in silverstones latest mATX sugo (09?), but common sense forced me to leave that road. So I'll keep my eyes open for plain and elegant cases with proper aircooling conditions... :( 

Well i will use my Comp for Photoshop and CAD too, but rather for private use, so i guess I won't profit hard of hyperthreading and so on. I just had in my mind that the cpu and the graphics card

I will definitely add a mech HDD later, but intended to use this to get the OS installed on. I'll check on that WD apps story. :0

As I read many games wouldn't support Crossfire/SLI yet and so i wanted to get a highend graphic card that can manage most games and expand it to 2 card once i play games that really need it and also fully support it.

I apologize for my poor Eglish, I'm from abroad and found this board more interesting than my local one :<
Related resources
January 16, 2011 9:34:41 AM

FYI, a review I saw recently showed Crossfired 6950's doing very nearly as well as Xfired 6970's in many titles/resolutions.
a b 4 Gaming
January 16, 2011 12:42:11 PM

Sathyrica said:
Hello Silvune

Thanks for the quick answer.

Yeah I indeed forgot to list the RAM : Corsair CMT6GX3M3A1866C9, 3x2GB, DDR3-1866, CL9@1.65V

Actually I didin't intend to overclock the machine right away cause i'm an utter noob and i wouldn't want to take the risk to overclock a machine on that most of the games probably run sufficiently fluent. I picked overclockling friendly components just to have opportunities to get more out of the machine if required - is that atypical? >_> Therefore i didn't intend to use watercooling right away either, cause it would be easier to me to let the machine run with the stock vents in the beginning as I can safe money for that once i have my machine built up. Is it horrifying not to get the max out of a machine if it's not needed? :p 

I would sure appreciate a heatsink suggestion since I'm a bit afraid to build a watercooling into my comp just cause of it's need to be regularly maintained. I'm really a slacker.

I picked the Corsair after weeks of diggin' computer component sellers cause it actually meets my aesthetic standarts - most reviews i read were also rather positive... i even considered building a gaming rig in silverstones latest mATX sugo (09?), but common sense forced me to leave that road. So I'll keep my eyes open for plain and elegant cases with proper aircooling conditions... :( 

Well i will use my Comp for Photoshop and CAD too, but rather for private use, so i guess I won't profit hard of hyperthreading and so on. I just had in my mind that the cpu and the graphics card

I will definitely add a mech HDD later, but intended to use this to get the OS installed on. I'll check on that WD apps story. :0

As I read many games wouldn't support Crossfire/SLI yet and so i wanted to get a highend graphic card that can manage most games and expand it to 2 card once i play games that really need it and also fully support it.

I apologize for my poor Eglish, I'm from abroad and found this board more interesting than my local one :<

Firstly, Sandybridge doesn't run memory in triple channel, it would run 6GB in single channel mode which is likely to have a negative performance impact. So that means getting either 4 or 8GB. Also, Sandybridge does not like RAM with voltages above 1.6V, so if you can find some RAM that is 1.5V that would be good.

If that Corsair case is what you have set your heart on then you should go for it because you will use it for a very long time and you won't regret not getting it. And if you've done plenty of research then you are obviously in a strong position to know what case you want.

I don't have any disagreement with people who don't overclock their hardware.

Apparently games these days are pretty good at supporting multiple cards, the only time you'd have to worry is when the game is first released and perhaps the developers haven't completely finished including peripheral things like multi-card support. But it is a good strategy to start out with a single power card.

As for a heatsink, unless you buy an OEM version of the processor it will come with a stock one. However it is not going to be that high quality, so if you want something that cools better and does so more quietly you should buy an aftermarket one.
If you choose RAM with large heatspreaders like those Dominators then I think the Thermalright coolers are good choices because they are quite narrow, yet perform very well and usually the fans that come with them are quite quiet.
Thermalright MUX-120, Archon and Venomous X (you'd have to buy a fan for those last two) are the ones I have in mind. I'm not 100% sure that the Archon will fit in the 700D, but it is quite a wide case. For a cheaper option I think the Gelid Tranquillo would be quite good.

Nothing wrong with your English mate.
January 16, 2011 1:18:16 PM

I've got a few things to add here aswell. Which are hopefully helpfull

1. The corsair 700d is IMO the most beautiful case on the market and if I hadn't just bought a case before it came out it would've been my choice no doubt. It's rather poor at air cooling because it doesn't come with a lot fans. If you buy extras though to put into the remaining fan mounts you'll get great performance not quite that of the of cases like the silverstone fortress ft02, but far more than adequate for a non-extreme overclocker.

Talking about a silverstone ft02, thats another wonderfull case. It's smaller than the 700d which is good because the 700d is truly massive(as high as 2 regular of the shelf desktops stacked ontop of each others, 1/3 the size of an average man). So maybe look into that. As a bonus this is the best cooling case on the market and being sound insulated it's also one of the quietest.

2. Wether you'll OC as soon as you buy or not I'd say get a k cpu and a cooler right of the bat. Stock coolers are noisy which is something you don't want when spending on 200-300usd on a silent case. Also the premium you pay for a k cpu is small compared to the performance boosts an OC'd sandy bridge can do when performance gets too low.

3. I'd stay away from unlocking card to higher end cards. Thats a far riskier thing to do than overclocking. Many people talk about it like it's free performance, but in truth there's quite a chance things could go bad. The manufacturer made them 6950s because they weren't good enough to be 6970s maybe thats something to consider.

Also the ud7 is an extremly overkill board especially since heavy OC ain't on your mind.

Can you link that keyboard it doesn't seem very game grade ^^? Keyboard are very important make sure you get one thats up to par with the system.

And lastly what sound system do you have? There is no true gaming experience without good sound.
January 16, 2011 1:20:06 PM

Oooh and the nova ssds are not terribly fast I'd get either a sandforce controller ssd(corsair force, OCX vertex 2, OCZ agility 2), a crucial c300(slow writes very fast reads) or the new corsair performance 3 ssds which will be coming out soon to dominate the market.
January 16, 2011 4:09:11 PM

Hello again

Thank a lot for the inputs. Having taken all of them in consideration I've rearranged my build to this:

sathy-machine v2

main stuffs

CASE Corsair 700D

CASE VENTS 3 120mm premounted stock vents are to be removed and all 7 are to be filled with
Noiseblocker Multiframe S-Series MF12-S1

PSU Corsair CMPSU-850HX (I'll stick to the 850W since i want to able expand my system)

CPU Intel Core i5 2500K (3300) Quad Core

CPU heatsink & cooler GELID Tranquillo
In the local computer part sellers i couldn't find any Thermalright cooling solutions for 1355 sockets and the GELID one. It seems to have quite enourmous dimensions tho and i found the following 2 coolers quite attracting:
Scythe SCSMZ-2000 Samurai ZZ and Prolimatech Armageddon CPU-Cooler (about double as pricey as the samurai and comes without cooler - says to be able to passive cooling capable as long as the case is well ventilated)

Undoubtably I will have to make some dimension checks, but i ain't ready for that right now <_<.

MOBO Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7

RAM Corsair Vengeance, 2x4GB, DDR3-1600, CL8@1.5V
(I'm quite happy with them, but i wonder - my mobo got 4 slots for memory - so it's possible to add another set of the same RAM anytime to fill those slots? Or would i have to buy a 4x4 gb kit for that?)
GRAPH Asus HD 6970 2GB, PCI-E x16 2.0, DP, HDMI

SSD Corsair Force F120 SSD MLC, 2.5 Zoll, 120GB, SATA-II

Peripherals

MONITOR Alienware OPTX 23" AW2310

KEYB Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750

Link to official Logitech product page

i particularly like that keyboard for it's looks, it's economical approach to consumer electronics and it's promises when it comes to lifetime of battery. But I'm well aware that i'd probably be better off with a wired solution for gaming, maybe even a keyboard that gives me programmable buttons and likewise (i find lcds on keyboards terribly ugly tho :p )

MOUSE Saitek Cyborg R.A.T.7 Gaming Mouse, 5.600 dpi, US

Quote:
And lastly what sound system do you have? There is no true gaming experience without good sound.

I haven't taken that into my consideration as it isn't required to run the system and in fact i do actually have quite bad ears and not the most fed wallet. O(°_°)O ... but to be quite honest, I've thought nowadays MBs would provide a good quality Sound System? If it's any important, i play with headphones - midrange ones | (ultrasone dj-1) and a cheapass headset if i need to be able to TS/vent etc.

MB spec says : Realtek ALC889 7.1 High Definition Audio - i suppose that's just plain unspectacular nonenthusiast crap? :p 
January 16, 2011 4:27:32 PM

I'll also have to recalculate the price of the system, I'm actually not really limited budgetwise - but neither do I want to spend too much for components that are overpriced cause they are brand new. I'll probably save a month or two and buy that stuff then.

I've read that nVidia gtx 580 is a extremely strong graphic card und unlike the hd6970 it is a valuable followup to it's "ancestors", furthermore i've read that hd6970 was a rather disappointing gpu not meeting the expectations. So i thought i want a gtx580 - later on i read a article about SLI vs CFX and it clearly stated that CFX is way better - one of the main arguments was that SLI needs identical cards but also on the rest it convinced me that CFX seems to be the better choice.

It's not easy having in mind that i want to be able to expand my system but want not to waste the money as long as it doesn't have to be (to mult. graphic cards)... my first thought was to stick with a strong card like the gtx580, but then again it seems not as promising if I have to buy the same card later on, when this one might be outdated (but still valuable as second card).

My mobo says it lets me use the card both 16x/16x - that cool *** for gaming i suppose, also feels a bit bad not to use it right away... ~-~ but i simply can't afford buying 2 graphic cards right away, I won't let it run ong WUXGA resolution anyway since my monitor doesn't support it... so it doesn't really hurt me to spend 100 bucks more to get the most up to date card, if it's ati or nvidia is still a question that's hard to solve for me.

January 16, 2011 4:48:36 PM

Since the case vents will make me invest about 175 bucks...

would anyone recommend buying a 360 mm radiator for the top of the case [it has this option] and let the stockfans in for partial air cooling (for passive cooled components like RAMs) and build in a watercooling system for the core parts? Could i buy graphic cards without any cooling solution mounted so i can mount my own one without having to dismount another?
January 16, 2011 5:03:43 PM

Too be quite honest, that cooling topic is puzzling me a bit - i haven't looked deeply into it yet and therefore have mostly only read user recommendations on the hardware stores themselves. In the beginning the idea of a stock ventilated computer seemed cheap and good to me, on the way to that i had to notice that the case that is on the very top of my wishlist isn't actually great for aircooling - so i thought "so what" - i'll buy a lot of fans to make my comp room one cozy place (like when u have a bonfire) ... afterall the smartest way to get around that weakness really seems to be watercooling, which can be quite expensive and seems to require some deeper knowledge of dimensions of my case and board as well as how to dismount various parts of my components. That seems like a lot of work and i guess I'll have to buy some tools for that (maybe even basic electromagnietic discharge prevention stuff). But no doubt, once i have all those components i won't lack the enthusiasm to put em together, so the main problem is the price. I think watercooling is gonna get this gaming rig real price and really valuable, and yes i want it to be valuable... but I'm considering to move out of my parents house soon and want to buy a comp before, cuz i can't afford it later on the other hand i don't want to wait half a year cuz i bought a machine that will make my gf cry tons of tears cuz it will postbone my financial autarky.

I'll have to go over the plans again, and most probably the prices on HW will drop until im done plus then again will the market will be flushed with loads of new shiny hardware... it's not such an easy task to built a system u can love is it :<
January 16, 2011 6:59:17 PM

Wow so many questions lol. I'll answer as many as I can(seeing as I'll forget many^^) and if any questions remain just ask again.

1. For the GPU: Nvidia vs ATI they're close competition and ussually you get what you pay for with either(although there have been exeptions). Yes the 6970 doesn't live up to the hype, which was predictable considering it isn't new architecture, but anyways moving on: in a single card config I'd say get the 570gtx when you want 2 cards now are later 6950, 570gtx and 6970 are all good choices(maybe lean towards ati with this because of the better CFX scaling, but then again drivers constantly change so maybe SLI will be better soon, might just aswqell flip a coin really). Personally I'd get the 570gtx because nvidia provides many features like physx, 3d and CUDA although those are ussually not terribly usefull. Also I'd stay away from the 580gtx. Even though it's a very very nice card it's overpriced simply because it's the best and they bassically have a monopoly on it so they can ask what they want.

2. As for the sound. The alc899 isn't terribly good in high end terms, but unless you've got very very good speakers/headphones you won't notice. I just meant you need a decent pair of headphones or speakers which you appear to have.

3. As for that keyboard. It's probably going to be better for the planet if you didn't eat meat for a day then if you bought that keyboard. I mean really it's just so you don't need batteries. It's also flat style like a laptop which they say is good, but I beg to differ. I agree some gaming keyboards are overkill, but a good mechanical keyboard makes so much difference in both gaming and typing. Also not being able to type in the dark sounds like a realistic problem with that lol. And wired is simply better...

4. Cooling: the stock fan config of the 700d is fine if you won't do heavy OCs. Watercooling isn't too hard to set up in that case beacuse it's made for it, but it'll still cost you about 500usd for an entire setup(you also need the same amount of fans for this as air cooling, because you need to cool the radiators with them). This cooling would be extremly good, but unless you want to OC to an extreme level it is again fairly useless. And yes there are graphics cards that are sold with a waterblock instead of air cooler like this one http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=015-P3-158... but ussually it's cheaper to buy the air cooled version and the waterblock seperatly and install it yourself.
January 16, 2011 7:46:17 PM

I guess I'll go for a nvidia card now afterall... just since it seems to provide me more power in a single card setup... you might be right about the coinflippin'.

I'll run some searches on keyboards again... I've been typing on notebooks now for about 10 years, but i remember the luxury of having the feeling of a proper ergonomically designed keyboard below my fingers.

Yeah well i'll probably start without watercooling, everything stock vents and check out the temps after heavy gaming... afterall that shouldn't happen all too often, gotta work to pay such a computer don't we. ~_~ I consider myself myself capable of demountaing stock vents and applying water blocks... so i'll probably get onto that topic once my machine doesn't consist mainly of steam anymore °-°
January 16, 2011 8:48:11 PM

Sathys gaming build final

Corsair Obsidian 700D Big-Tower - black
Corsair power supply AX850 Gold - 850 Watt

Intel Core i5 2500K BOX, 3.3GHz, LGA 1155, 4C/4T, unlocked
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7, Intel P67, LGA1155, CFX/SLI, NF200
Gainward GTX-570 Phantom 1.28GB DDR5, PCI-E 2.0 x1
Corsair Vengeance, 2x4GB, DDR3-1600, CL8@1.5V

OCZ SSD Vertex 2 Extended Cap. 120GB, SATA-II, 2,5"
LG BH10LS, BluRay/DVD Burner, LS, SATA, Retail

Alienware OptX AW2310, 23" 3D TFT Wide, HDMI
Saitek Cyborg R.A.T.7 Gaming Mouse, 5.600 dpi, USB
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Keyboard

^_^ god... that will take me 3 months to save the money... bulldozer here I come.

That's the best i could think of atm, the Gainward GTX-570 looks awesome, seems to promise very nice performance and is quite a deal cheaper than the 580. I guess I'm on a good train with it as single card.
January 17, 2011 5:24:35 AM

Looks like your good to go exept I'd still go with a lower end motherboard. ud7 is what they use when they OC with LN2 to 6ghz with 980x cpus. Trust me you really don't need it ^^.

And as for the keyboard it's fairly expensive but if you can get it cheap like here then it's a pretty good deal I think http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
January 17, 2011 2:55:51 PM

I found the possibilty to run 2 graphic cards at 16x/16x quite interersting for a gamer... isn't that right? :0 OCwise i'm really not extreme ambitioned
January 17, 2011 4:01:48 PM

it's actually not that intresting ^^. It's been tested and 16/16 gives you a performance boost of around 4% with 2 cards. With three cards it's different though, but I don't think you'll ever do that. IMO when you get a mobo like that at least get the 2600k.
January 17, 2011 6:10:55 PM

That's what I'll do then, invest in the processor doesn't hurt me much anyway. I was gonna buy a i7 in the beginning anyway which would've turned out slightly more pricey; but i realised i won't really profit from multithreading as it's only supported to a very slight degree by a few games, since it seems hard up to impossible to programm games the way that they would profit much from MTing.

I really like having that NF200 on my future Mobo, even if I won't use it in the beginning and most probably not feel it in the end. So these 50 bucks don't feel wasted either. Cosidering i pay about 400 bucks for 1 card, thus 800 for 2 cards (provided i'd buy them at the same time ofc)... that 50 bucks make 1/17 (5,8-6%) of the whole price, which is approx 5,8-6% of he price of my graphic solution. Getting 4% more performance for 5,8 % of the price seems fair since in the enthusiast segment mostly things are ridiculously overpriced if they're state-of-the-art (so it seems to me as a layman at least). Ofc this is a rather economical approach, but I can't estimate myself how much I'd profit of the better cpu on that board, cause the differences between the boards are besides the NF200 really marginal.

January 17, 2011 6:16:11 PM

Btw that newegg link was ace, i wanted to buy the keyboard for about double the price LOL
January 17, 2011 6:26:46 PM

I actually meant you should drop down to a rather average mobo like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... because ussually they first concentrate on heavy OC and then on tripple GPU or optimal dual GPU. But I mean I'm not going to keep you from buying a dream motherboard I'm just saying it would be the sensible thing to do. If you want my advice though sensible things are ussually lame.
January 17, 2011 6:54:08 PM

alright, cutting the cpu and the mobo down to what you primally meant, ud4 and 2500k, i'd save like 300 bucks i was willing to pay before, plus the 100 bucks i saved on the keyboard you linked me... that's about another identical gainward gtx 570.

that would be kickass for gaming then
January 17, 2011 7:25:40 PM

well you really don't need more than one 570gtx personally I'd get 2 6850s and 3 screens for eyefinity.
January 17, 2011 7:58:40 PM

I'll really have to sleep over this... and so some deep research... I've been changing a big deal of my main components and haven't really read reviews about the new picks. I might better do my homework before building a rocket...

Most probably I'll stick to a single graphic card system, like the gainward gtx 570 phantom for the start which will be expanded to dual cards later on. That helps me keeping the price within the borders of what my credit card allows me to buy at once.

Tho, i certainly won't have space for a great tripple screen theater, but the alienware ain't making me really happy, too bulky look, which's always been a weakness of AW in my eyes. Maybe i'll get an Acer S273HLbmii, looks quite decent for gaming and working.

It doesn't get off my mind that SB only support 2-chan RAM, i actually expected different of a state of the art cpu, but i guess the actual cpu line is rather mainstream since it's got a integrated gpu, that would be redundant in a multi card system.

Am I better off waiting for later SB and BD?
January 18, 2011 4:14:52 AM

If you haven't got the space then nevermind. Dell makes some great screens and they look pretty clean. Acer hasn't got the best reputation though.

And well I'd give you a prize if you could notice the difference between single channel and hexa channel. I mean really this only makes a difference in small amount of proffesional apps. And the only platform that will have more channels is x68 and that has quad channel which is serious overkill. BTW the entrly level cpu of that platform is an hexa/octo core with HT much like the 980x is now but a good deal better. And well imagine the price of a beast like that.

So trust me stick with p67.
!