Sign in with
Your question

HD5970 performance issues

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 16, 2010 8:27:43 AM

Good Morning,

A few months ago I bought an HD5970 and I am having some serious performance issues. Here are my specs:

-PSU-ATX-High-end Thermaltake ToughpowerXT EPS V2.91 775W SLI/CFire
-OS Windows 7 64 bit
-CPU Intel Core i7-920 Processor O/c to 3.8ghz
-MSI ATI R5970-PM2D2G PCIEXPRESS VIDEO CARD 2GB
RAM
-DDR3 P1600 6GB KIT PATRIOT VIPERLINE GAMER
-ASUS MAINBOARD P6T SE
-COOLING SYSTEM - COOLIT DOMINO
-SATA HDD 1TB 7200RPM
-WD VELICORAPTOR 150GB

-LATEST DRIVERS AND PROFILES

I have been testing the game with crysis and Silent Hunter 4, both 2008 games.

With both games i am receiving a benchmark of 48 FPS which is very low for a system with these specs. When i monitor the gfx card on GPU-Z i see that the first core is running at 725Mhz while the second one always remains at 400mhz. Is there a reason for this or is there a problem with the card? I would think that if the card is struggling to run the game then it would at least try to use up more of its potential?

I have just upgraded my PSU and there is ample free voltage so thats definitely not an issue.

I overclocked the CPU from 2.7ghz to 3.8ghz to relieve any bottlenecks and, although it improved, I am still having this issue.

The PC is running on a fresh installation of windows 7 64bit so there are no conflicting programs etc.

I noticed at one point in Silent Hunter 4 that the game's fps shot up to 62 and didnt budge no matter what i threw at it on screen, therefore I know the card can take a lot more, however, the next time i loaded it up it went back to its usual self with laggy controls and jittery visuals.

Is it possible that one of the cores is faulty? Do you have any suggestions for what i can do to find out?

Thank you
a c 189 U Graphics card
November 16, 2010 8:43:25 AM

Well, you need to test more games to see whether your 2nd gpu core is faulty.
Already updated the latest driver?
Still on warranty?
November 16, 2010 9:25:02 AM

Yes im on the latest drivers.. Im also still on warranty.

Should i get Black Ops to test it? Is there any software i can download that will test it properly?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2010 9:50:43 AM

Metro 2033. It's the biggest GPU killer since Crysis. Black Ops is a) not very graphics intensive, like most of the COD games to date, and b) allegedly very buggy on the PC, so it lags no matter what your hardware.
November 16, 2010 9:54:13 AM

My res is 1680 x 1050. Ill get furmark when i get home and start posting some results!
November 16, 2010 10:28:20 AM

Quote:
Download furmark and note your gpu usage.What is your res?

Just managed to sneak home for a quick furmark test.

The benchmark reads:

SCORE: 2645POINTS (60000MS)
MAX GPU TEMP 89C (THOUGH I HAD JUST RUN A STABILITY TEST BEFOREHAND)
MAX CURRENT 1.7A
RES: 1674X1022(W) MSAA 4X
FPS MIN 36 MAX 67 AVG 44

Rana stab test for 15 minutes and the fps was similar to above.

A side note:

What should i set my anti-aliasing mode to on CCC?

Multi seems to give me a further 5-10 fps compared to the Super which i was on.

Thanks
November 16, 2010 10:44:37 AM

i did notice in stab test that both gpu graphs were increasing in temp though i rushed out of the house and forgot to check my GPU load for each core. Ill have a look when im back home later.
November 16, 2010 3:15:01 PM

#i just tried to run a gaming benchmark on 3d mark vantage while keeping an eye on both GPU cores on GPU-Z. It seems like the 2nd core only took a max of 4% during the benchmark.

Heres a pic:

November 16, 2010 3:46:38 PM

I really, really, really cant understand this. I ran the test again exactly as i did before and without adjusting anythign and now both cores are showing 100% load and my benchmark on furmark doubled.

Also my game speed went up by 20FPS. What could possibly be causing my other core to just kick in without me adjusting anything? Could it be damaged?
November 16, 2010 4:13:35 PM

Quote:
Did you run in fullscreen mode?Remember crossfire doesn't work in windowed mode.

Yes i ran furmark this afternoon and i got the above results. I ran it EXACTLY the same way just now and i got double the score.

I noticed the other core kicked in because I was getting another 15fps in Silent Hunter 4 so quickly did a test again. I cant understand how it could just sometimes decide to use both cores and others not to, without me adjusting any settings. I have a feeling this card is broken.
November 16, 2010 4:41:13 PM

Quote:
Try re-installing drivers.Use 10.3.which psu you are using?Use driver sweeper to perform a clean driver re-install.Set everything to default in CCC.

-PSU-ATX-High-end Thermaltake ToughpowerXT EPS V2.91 775W SLI/CFire

Its brand new too and i have lots of amps to spare. Ill try leave things as they are for now as it seems to have corrected itself. If it reverts back to its problematic ways ill go for the driver changes etc.

Ill keep you updated, thanks for your help!
a c 189 U Graphics card
November 16, 2010 11:40:20 PM

You might want to try to revert setting to factory setting (default setting), see if that help...
If this still continue then RMA your card, it seems like your card is faulty, so get a replacement...
November 17, 2010 8:28:14 AM

At least i still have 3 months left on the warranty. This card has been a complete rollercoaster of a ride but generally its been 8 months of hell.
November 17, 2010 9:41:46 AM

have you tried to get later direct x files ?!
if there a new ver of your card or motherboard bios you should update it as well
November 18, 2010 6:57:51 AM

kovaxo said:
have you tried to get later direct x files ?!
if there a new ver of your card or motherboard bios you should update it as well

On latest direct x files. I just got the latest ati driver hotfix and things seem to have improved. The framerate is definitely higher but I still get slight jittering/lag. Furmark is recording a 4900 benchmark with an average fps of 80.

Could this be a monitor issue?
November 18, 2010 7:10:01 AM

kvbrock82 said:
On latest direct x files. I just got the latest ati driver hotfix and things seem to have improved. The framerate is definitely higher but I still get slight jittering/lag. Furmark is recording a 4900 benchmark with an average fps of 80.

Could this be a monitor issue?

Please get those three
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?Fami...

and be in sure that your OS Is fine , because there are some custom OS copy's like Xp , Vista and windows 7 been manipulated with .dll Files like game edition copy's and this stuff
so its highly recommended to get a fresh OS

And FPS is nothing to do with monitor
November 18, 2010 7:36:05 AM

ill get them when im back on the pc.

Im mentioning the monitor because if I had to pan my view from the left to the right slowly, there will be a small but noticeable jitter/lag, even though the game is reading 60fps. Its difficult to explain, but its just not 100% smooth. This on a 2008 game with pretty average graphics with both GPU cores reading 100% load on a hd5970.
!