Best Monitor/ best place to buy

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Alright so I'm using my computer yesterday and my monitor goes out. I have tried just about everything I could think of without taking apart the monitor it's self the monitor that went out was 4-5 years old lots of hours on it and it seems like the backlight went out so i think it's time for a new monitor this one is a Viewsonic 22in 1680X1050 the new monitor I get I will want the resolution to be 1920X1080. So in almost 5 years go figure monitors have changed a bit and I'm not really sure about what to get, what the best is going to be anymore. For instance should I get one that's LED backlit? or stay with CFCL? I'm not sure I watch movies play video games and such using mainly the one monitor when I have friends over I do move the movie to my LCD TV witch I'm using now so I can use my computer

these are the main points I would like answered
LED or CFCL?
3D capable is it worth it? and if i am going for that whats the best?
Brand does it really matter that much anymore?
Should I buy any extended warranty?

so you might want my computer specs to help me so here they are
Core i7 920 Stock
Intel DX58SO Motherboard
6GB DDR3 Ram 1333
4X Internal HDD's 1X 500GB 3X1TB
DVD Writer
8800GT 512Ram from XFX outputs for this card are 2X DVI
600 Watt PS

so any help would be appreciative and than you in advance if you need any more info please let me know

Dogsnake

Distinguished
When my old Samsung 26" died I looked around for a replacement. I chose a Samsung P2770. The one inch larger is much larger in real life. The monitor looks great and is acceptable to me for online gaming (important in my house). I checked all online outlets and local stores like Best Buy. I bought at Costco, one of my areas big box stores. This type of store has a no questions return/replacement for 90 days....for any reason! Dead pixels are always the possible issue. They are also the most difficult to get a replacement for if they are present. I got 90 days to use, and test. Lastly, the price was the lowest I could find and I had my monitor 30 minutes after I decided to buy.

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006

Normally that would be a good monitor but like I said I'm looking for something with a 1920X1080 resolution and as far as my budget that would be around 170-200 max right now (I have no job so funds are limited)

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Forget about 3d if that's your budget. 300 Bucks is about the cheapest you will find one.

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059)
I'm partial to asus monitors and that one's a good deal. The main advantage of LED backlighting is that it consumes less power and can be made thinner. The expensive ones can turn off some of the LEDs for better black levels, but I don't think that's all that important in a PC monitor and not worth the price premium.

It's probably good advise to buy from a real store with a good return policy if you are close to one and the price isn't much different, but I've bought my last 4 monitors from newegg and never had a single dead pixel so it hasn't been an issue for me. I never buy extended warranties, I think asus has a 3 year warranty anyways (most do) so all the extended warranty might do is save you the shipping charge if the store is close to you.