Sign in with
Your question

New build problems

Last response: in Systems
January 15, 2011 6:55:42 PM

Put together my first new build and have some issues. I've gone over the 'System Won't Boot' thread checklist to no avail, unfortunately.
When I plug the power in I do get a motherboard light showing that there is power going there. When I git the power button, the Ram check button flashes red for just a half a second then goes out. I get no fan noises or anything like that.

Some background on the computer; it has a new sandy bridge i5-2500k processor, asus p8p67 motherboard, 8 gigs of ram, and a radeon 6870 video card.
I've gone through and redone all the connections, rechecked to see that everything was connected to the right thing. Taken out and put everything back in again. I'm kind of at a loss honestly.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

More about : build problems

January 16, 2011 5:09:45 AM

So no fans spin at all when you try to start it? It just sits there and does nothing?
m
l
January 16, 2011 7:55:34 AM

What RAM? Set the RAM voltage in BIOS to the one recommended by the producer. If still not working try with only one stick of RAM.
m
l
Related resources
January 16, 2011 11:17:05 AM

Yep, just sits there and does nothing.
I've tried one stick, 2 sticks, heck I've even tried no sticks just to see. I can't change the setting in BIOS as I can't even get to that.

Oh, and I should have stated the PSU; I have a corsair 650.
m
l
January 16, 2011 3:07:49 PM

Wow, mosox, way not to actually read what this guy is posting--in his first post, he said he ALREADY went through the thread you just posted, and why are you telling him to set the RAM voltage in the BIOS when he said the computer isn't even turning on?

termcck--do you have a spare PSU that you could try? Also, what are the specs on your RAM?
m
l
January 16, 2011 3:23:43 PM

I don't have a spare PSU offhand, though I'm friendly with some of the computer repair staff at work and I might try to see if they have something laying around.

The RAM is G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3 1333

m
l
January 16, 2011 3:37:47 PM

Hopefully some other people will chime in, but it definitely sounds like it could be your PSU--I'd either unscrew your PSU and take it with you to work, to see if the computer repair staff could test it, or see if you can borrow a PSU to test your build.

Failing that, you could also take it to a computer repair shop, and have them test all the components independently of each other, which should give you an easy diagnosis of what's not working.
m
l
January 16, 2011 4:18:05 PM

Yeah, I think I'll try the people at work first and test out that CPU. If anyone has any other suggestions to try in the meantime, I'd be glad to hear them.
m
l
January 16, 2011 4:54:07 PM

I had this exact same issue with my first build I did about two days ago. I had an Antec 300 case and the Power Switch/Reset Switch were wired completely backwards(as in the power was labled as reset, and the reset was labled power on the wires). I was about to return the motherboard then I decided to short the pins for the front panel power with a screwdriver and the system started.

m
l
January 16, 2011 5:20:04 PM

I'll try to play around with those tonight then to see if that's the issue. Unfortunately, I'm not too hopeful, because when I hit the power button, the RAM led on the mobo lights up for a split second, which to me means that it recognizes the button push, it just immediately encounters an issue and fails to power up. As I said though, I'll try tonight and report back, thanks for the heads up.

Oh, and I'll be borrowing someone's spare PSU tuesday, so we'll see if that's the issue.
m
l
January 17, 2011 9:12:19 PM

Ok, so I got it up and running. Went through and disconnected everything and reconnected them one at a time. I ran into an issue when I connected the fan. Basically, the issue was I was running the fans at the wrong voltage. I connected the fans in series and then connected it to the 5volt connector on the mobo. I did so because as a rookie, I saw 4 pins and figured they went to the 4 pin connector stated as CHA FAN1 (Which I took to mean chassis fan). Unfortunately I didn't realize my case had 12 vlt fans. When I reconnected that I got a little smoke and immediately turned off the system. I shorted out the 4th wire on that line. As a test I then connected the fans to the 12 volt mobo connector (keeping the line that was shorted out on the non-existent pin (the 12 volt connector only had 3 pins)). When I turned on the system the fans ran, but I saw a little smoke and turned it off quickly.

It may have been leftover from the inital short out, but I'd rather not run the fan like that. Now I can currently keep the fans disconnected from the mobo and it runs fine (the fans just run constantly obviously), but I don't want to do that, so I'm going to need to replace the last leg of that wire that connects to the mobo. The question is, do I have to send back the whole power supply or can I replace that last leg myself?
m
l
January 18, 2011 1:20:21 AM

Do you know what version you have of your motherboard (see below)?

- TForce 550 SE 5.x
- TForce 550 1.3
- TForce 550 1.2
- TForce 550 1.1
- TForce 550 1.0

I can look in the manual for you. :) 
m
l
January 18, 2011 1:27:58 AM

Whoops, sorry! Meant to post in another thread! :p 
m
l