I5-2500k running at 45c

aldrinstorm

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
This is stock out of the box using the stock cooler. no overclocking

i reseated the HS but it still runs this hot...whats going on?

aldrinstorm

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
so i didnt do anything with the hardware...but i simply restarted computer and went into bios again.

it showed 31c...very wierd...then i let it sit there for a while and it slowly climbed up in temp again. this was after having the system on the whole time.

does the bios use a ton of processing power or something?

pcworm

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
no, it takes time for the CPU to warm up, like a kettle that takes time to boil (well 45 c is by no means boiling)

also, there is nothing to worry aboutm your temps are actually very good
anything above 60 idle and 80 full load should be worry some
my margins may not be accurate but that should be the ballpark

pcworm

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
try the latest version of core temp, its free and very accurate
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
also you can give realtemp a try, also free and accurate

do not either trust your bios reading or easy tune, both are usually liable of showing lower temps

aldrinstorm

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
my bios is the one that shows the temps being very high. but when i use the easy tune software that came with my mobo. it shows it fluctuation between 17-25c

one would think that bios temp reading would be the most accurate. but seeing that when the computer has been on for 1 hour and i do a simple restart and go back in the bios the cpu temp starts at 30c and climbs to 45c over the course of about 4 minutes

aldrinstorm

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
ok so i installed core temp and it says im idling around 25c when easytune says 16c.

now i have 3 temp measurements that dont match (with bios saying 45c)

do i need to calibrate coretemp? and is this thing completely compatible with lga1155?

pcworm

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
also try running realtemp, if core temp and realtemp are inline with eachother, then u have a winner
your 16 C is almost impossible
even the 25 c on core temp seems low

it might need a little calibration, you might need to set the tj max to the numbers corresponding to your i5 2500

idle temp doesnt matter, it varies a lot depending on the fan profile and really isnt too important to the processor, as long as your load temp is okay its fine.

Whats your room temperature? 17C seems to low to be possible so i would ignore those numbers. Get HW Monitor, and Speedfan see if they match up. Sometimes BIOS readings are higher because it hasnt engaged the power saving features on the CPU yet so its running full speed but doing very little, its often higher than idling on your desktop.

Not sure how intensive that is so i dont know. Load up prime95 and have it do the stress test, that will get you up to your max load temp in a couple minutes, 57C isnt too hot for a load temp but its not great either, you might want to see about improving your case airflow if you can.