Sign in with
Your question

15-2500K/i7-2600K & motherboard choice - need advice

Last response: in Motherboards
December 15, 2011 3:20:39 AM

Hi, My first post here.

My old desktop died and I'm needing to get a new one fast, this is a borrowed computer And I've been overclocking every processor since the late 80's. I haven't been keeping on top of what's the latest and greatest but what I've come to find out is overclocking the Intel K seems to be a better bet than AMD at the moment. I read about 4.5GHz on air and I like it.

I don't do much of any gaming though I do have an EVGA GTX275 GPU I mostly got that so with CUDA I could work the GPU with BOINC as well as the Quad core CPU and still have a nice fast computer when I wanted to. Most of what I do with the computer deals with database manipulation but I do use ConvertX2DVD to make MKV files suitable for playing in a DVD player and sometimes that takes 2-3 hours if the files are full size from a Blu-Ray. I want to cut that down & these newer processors will surely do that.

So the two processors I've come to think might be good are the i5-2500K & the 17-2600K I think the 2500K is probably going to be just as good for my needs as the 2600K but I don't know.

Question 1: If I want to run BOINC / ConvertX2DVD is there any major difference I'll see between the two processors?

Looking at the different motherboard reviews I've been looking at the ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 and the ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) Both seem like really nice boards, I don't know if there's much advantage for me in the ASUS P8Z68, it's $40 more, All the looking I've found hasn't addressed the benefits I'd get from the pricier board. The one thing I don't want to do is get a board that is at the end of its life expectancy, I'd like one where the bios improvements will continue awhile.

Question 2: Are either of these two boards more future proof for the next generation of intel CPUs? And; any common knowledge if these boards are about to be orphaned & made obsolete soon? And is there any real benefit my needs will get from the ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 @ $270 vs the cheaper P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) @ $210?

As to RAM I've been tossing between 2 sticks of 4GB or 4 of 4GB And the sticks I'm considering are G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB If I get 8GB they will be the same, I like their 1.35V requirement. 16GB for $90 is really sweet.

Question 3:These are pretty affordable and after talking with the techs on the G.Skill site, these will match up nicely with those ASUS motherboards. Are there other ram in the same price range I should consider?

I do need to decide quickly so your thoughts & reasons for them are much appreciated.

Cheers
a c 973 V Motherboard
December 16, 2011 4:57:59 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Overclocking to section Motherboards & Memory by Area51reopened
m
l
!