More Ram betetr fps?

Mrvapilot

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
I made a new system for my friend but the specs are storng but the system is slow , so if i make more RAM into it there would be a better fps rate in games??

AMDx x4 965 BE 4x 3,4 Ghz
Sapphire ATI6870 Toxíc
4GB DDr3 1600 ( i would upgrade it to 8GB then )

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
You didn't mention the motherboard or PSU.

Either way, throwing RAM at a slow PC doesn't speed it up, not if it already has 4GB installed. 8GB would be overkill, and you'd never see the difference in pure speed. Rather format the HDD, install the OS freshly, install motherboard drivers and then install graphics card drivers. Install a good antivirus and update your OS to the newest updates. Install his favourite game and check again. If the problem persists something might be broken... :/

EDIT: So in short, no. More RAM wouldn't increase the FPS, not even in a game such as Crysis 2 or Homefront. Sorry :(

oc_mania

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
The problem could be in the HDD - if you have an old HDD it could be making your system slow. And dont get a 1055t - the cpu you have now is better for gaming.

More RAM would not help unless you were running a virusscaner and a crap load of background services at the same time. I also agree that the Hard Drive could give you the feeling of having a slower system, especially if you went cheap and got a 5400 RPM hard drive without much cache. Better to overclock the CPU instead.

evanmayo

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Make sure that the ram has the correct voltage piping into it, especially if you manually adjusted the clock speed.

I have a phenom x4 955 be and some nice ripjaw ram. When I went into the BIOS and adjusted it to run at 1600 (as it is rated for) instead of 1333 I saw a performance drop.

Took me several days to realize that I wasn't giving the RAM enough juice.

uniman6699

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
i know how u feel i cant run crysis one high settings (high as in acceptable) with my 6870 my suggestion is that u replace ur Video card if ur ready to spend on CPU may as well on a video card for Fps? so i replace my main rigs cards, two 570s and ram because i had shitty 800mhz value ram but the ram made no difference in fps
ram is cool to but no major difference if at all
oh btw i will tell u something u dont have to read all of it but its realtive
Video ram stores ur textures and other information waiting for the Graphics processing unit to process the information and represent it as a frame on ur screen this is similar to how Ram on ur computer works in acordance to ur CPU however this is not for graphics accelerated programs it is for the overall computer, u can get wat is called bottlenecking but looking at ur gfx(graphics card) it is not the case. bottleneck is were the GFX card (video card or graphics card) are limted by the cpu because it is working slower than the GFX card so if u want better FPS u can go with a new gfx card, i suggest GTX 560 simply because if u use the formula that i use. Price divided by FPS the GTX 560 comes out on top but if u like AMD(ATI) cards for some reason u can get 6950 and that should last u long enough. if have any question comment here and i will explain anything further.

uniman6699

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
oh btw i looked at the comment above it might be worth getting a 560 or 6950 plus a good 60-80 dollar WD or Segate 7200 rpm 32 mb cache 1tb Hard drive

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Get the graphics card first, before you buy the HDD. Then decide if you still need the HDD. I have a GTX460, Core 2 Quad and 3GB or RAM, and I play Crysis with everything maxed out at 1920 x 1080, without any problems (50~60 frames per second). It's awesome, and I can't wait to try Crysis 2 after I get my other GTX460 to get the two in SLI... :)

RAM helps only in one instance: When there is not enough space in RAM for a programs resources at any one point, requiring pages to be written to the HD. Beyond that point, more RAM does not help.

Its also worth noting: On any application compiled as 32-bit, EVEN WHEN RUNNING ON 64-BIT WINDOWS, will only have access to 2GB of addressable RAM at any one point. As such, on most systems, you will not see a significant increase beyond 4GB of installed RAM.

^^ Which does nothing to address the simple fact that:

A: Ramdisks are still slower then normal RAM
B: If the system needs to extend the Swap File beyond what the RAM can physically handle...[BSOD's galore].
C: 32-bit applications are still bound by their 2GB Address Space, so beyond a certain point, you will actually get diminishing [and even negative] returns due to using the (slower) Ramdisk when not needed.
D: CPu's are smart; they do background tasks during IO operations, so the inherent benifit of lower IO times actually amounts to minimal performance gains. The highest priority [active task + OS events] gets a slight boost in performance, but thats about it.

My point stands: Adding RAM beyond 4GB or so will not lead to any significant performance increases for games, because that RAM WILL NEVER BE USED. Period, end discussion. If its 32-bit, you have slightly less then 2GB to play with for any single application.

coreydmorton

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

How on earth is that system slow? lol something must be wrong, or my judgment of your processor is wrong.

Misko195

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

If you don't know how to help, please stay out of this thread. x6 cpu will give him even worst performances in the gaming. Unless if it's not intel.

Rig is perfect, how many FPS you got in the Modern Warfare 2, example? Here one comparation, I have a intel i5 750, 4gb DDR3 1333, HD 5770 and I have 150-200 sometimes even more (depend of map), up to 250 fps. My setting is on higher and resolution is 1680-1050.

http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/103849492-4.jpg
http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/103849479-4.jpg

^misko, it's mrvapilots thread. He's not gonna stay out of his own thead :lol:

That X6 would be a step down for gaming performance indeed. Like I said, you're better off overclocking the CPU. Also get rid of stuff running in the background.

coreydmorton

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

HAHA!!!! that's funny

oc_mania

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Mrvapilot, you havent mentioned it yet, what games at what resolution and details is your friend playing and what are the framerates he is getting ? And ill say it once again : right now there are no games that use 6 cores so getting a 1055t wont help ! Tell me what hdd he has and how old is it. Also have in mind that the rig is good but isnt perfect, you cant max the settings in every game.

Mrvapilot

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
so I'm playing games like Flight Simulator X , on games liek black ops i get 70-90 fps, but the flight simualtor needs some power whcih I don't have probably..

oc_mania

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Everywhere i look arround the `net people are getting low fps in FSX, even with awesome rigs. I guess that game is badly optimised.

Is that your only problem ?

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

:O Never knew. I play at 1980 x 1080 though, not 1980 x 1200 (which is a bit more). Everything is maxed, AA at 8x. 16x AA becomes too much. It's only at 875MHz ~ 900MHz with stock volages though. It gets unstable at higher than 900MHz, haven't played with the voltages yet. Are you sure about the GTX580 statement? I know it currently gives a GTX560 reference card and most factory OC cards a run for their money, but a 580...? I dunno... :/

oc_mania

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011

I said it becouse as you see in this benchmark http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/313?vs=305 with the gtx460 you get 36fps, and with the gtx580 you get 56fps, as much you said you get with a gtx460, with every setting maxed out. I dont think that there is much of a difference 1980x1080 vs 1980x1200. Whateverrr :lol:

uniman6699

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
seriously ur rig great enter level Gaming Rig i dont undersatand y its slow plus if u want look at maybe getting Graphics card not x6 AMD the rest is up to u
and maybe do a fresh install of windows and reinstall everything
and lastly u can get game boosters that close unesscery processes in the background to play games