Help purchasing Mobo USB 2.0 & IEEE1394a connectors

wefishallday

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
First time builder and everything went great w/ new I7-2600K on Asus P8Z68-VPRO/GEN3 MB iin HAF X Case and connected the HAFX case Front I/o cables no prob and all work. Board has 12 USB 2.0 port potential (6 Back I/O - 6 from onboard) and 2 IEEE1394a potential (both onboard) I've used 1 USB 2.0 header on mobo to connect the front I/O panel of the HAF X case and 1 of the two IEEE 1394a ports/headers on mobo for case front Firewire.

So .. I have available 2 USB mobo headers (for 4 USB 2.0) and 1 IEEE1394a header for 1 more firewire. I need these extra USB and Firewire capabilities for what I'm connecting BUT I DON'T KNOW WHICH CONNECTORS TO GET -- Only enough to know that I must be cautious and match the pinouts correctly (and the size according to one vendor).

Asus shows a pic of the bracketed connectors in the Mobo Manual -- but have no product codes on them -- and Asus Support (talked w 6 people) say the Mobo is too new so they can't recommend which Asus supplies to use. The e-store has no info on the pins for their accessories.

I'm sure some generic product would work -- but don't know how to purchase it. COULD SOMEONE TELL ME WHICH PRODUCT - CONNECTORS TO BUY TO CONNECT TO THE MOBO PORTS/HEADERS (bracketed so I can use these extra ports out the back). SPECS On the mobo connectors onboard are:

The USB 2.0 ports/headers on the Mobo per the Asus manual are:
10-1Pin (5 across top) 4 across bottom. ONE of the USB 2.0 ports/headers reads:
Across the top 5 pins (L to R): USB+5V, USB_P14-, USB_P14+, GND and NC
On bottom 4 Pins L to Right: USB+5V, USB_P13-, USB_P13+, GND and then no slot/hole
Yes - The +5V top and bottom are side by side, as are the GNDs.

The other available USB 2.0 port/header on Mobo is the same except the USB_P#'s are different.

The still unused IEEE1394a ports/header has this port/header configuration:

Across the top 5 pins (L to R): TPA2-, GND, TPB2-, +12V, GND
Across bottom 4 pins (L to R): TPA2+, GND, TPB2+, +12V, and then no hole
Yes - the +12V holes are lined up together top and broom

Sorry for being so ignorant about this but want to do this right as don't want to connect the wrong product or the wrong way. And yes -- I DO know not to connect a Firewire to a USB port/header.

Thanks for any help you can give

liamkennedy

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011

I had the same question as I just recently purchased the motherboard. The bracket on the ASUS shop is not in stock - and only has one firewire port + 2 USB's... I didn't need that configuration anyway. I went searching for an alternative - although I was concerned the pinouts would not be compatible.

After a lot of research and online chat to support at Cables-2-Go I felt confident this one would work.
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-13413-Firewire-Bracket/dp/B000N9H4WK

It did... perfectly.

Hope that helps.

wefishallday

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011

Thanks so much for your help. MOST appreciated.