Getting Back into Winplan.

Hi Guys,
After several years away I am getting back into Winplan.
I have a registered, if somewhat dated, copy of Winplan 3.5 that I
brought about 10 years ago.
Can anyone please tell me what web sites I should visit to obtain the
latest updates?
What is the latest version host program?
Also what add-ons are recommended?
Many shanks,
Loki
7 answers Last reply
More about getting back winplan
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

    Hi Loki welcome back. Go to Tim's site to get the latest updates... he
    still has them there as well as some of the other hosting sites too.. Tim's
    is still

    http://www.vgaplanets.com

    Once there, just chose the Version 3 link and it will take you to his
    Version 3 site!

    Again, welcome back.

    PS.. As far as addons... depends... there are still the same ones out there,
    but with a lot of updates.. others here can help name them, but a few pop to
    mind such as Echoview, VPA, and others.

    Ed
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

    Loki Avalon wrote:
    > Hi Guys,
    > After several years ... Winplan 3.5 that ... 10 years ago.
    > what web sites ... the latest updates? ...
    > Many shanks,
    > Loki

    Looks like the game is coming out of a slump with so many returning for
    the taste of conquest once again! Welcome back!
    Several host sites are active still, and many info related also.

    http://vgap.net/ - mine :-)

    vgaplanets.com - the 1st site.

    and bunches of others i have listed here:
    http://vgap.net/battlefields.html

    updates & addons here..
    http://vgap.net/files/downloads.html
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

    * Loki Avalon <drewontour@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

    > Many shanks,

    http://www.akseli.net/~akseli/vgap/alt.games.vga-planets.faq

    Regards, Heiko
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

    Hey, lets start a trend!

    I got too busy for games a few years ago, but things have changed - I now
    have lots of free time, and re-joined this newsgroup yesterday. Already two
    "oldies" have posted that they are starting to play again....now there's
    three!

    I'll get my archived WinPlan and VPA files over the weekend, and then, watch
    out for the cloaked avenger!

    Best regards
    Tweety Bird
    (anybody out there from my bad old days??)

    "Stormbull" <host@vgap.net> wrote in message
    > Loki Avalon wrote:
    > > Hi Guys,
    > > After several years ... Winplan 3.5 that ... 10 years ago.
    > > what web sites ... the latest updates? ...
    > > Many shanks,
    > > Loki
    >

    > Looks like the game is coming out of a slump with so many returning for
    > the taste of conquest once again! Welcome back!
    > Several host sites are active still, and many info related also.
    >
    > http://vgap.net/ - mine :-)
    >
    > vgaplanets.com - the 1st site.
    >
    > and bunches of others i have listed here:
    > http://vgap.net/battlefields.html
    >
    > updates & addons here..
    > http://vgap.net/files/downloads.html

  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

    "M Wright" <nospam@please.net> wrote
    > Hey, lets start a trend!
    >
    > I got too busy for games a few years ago, but things have changed - I now
    > have lots of free time, and re-joined this newsgroup yesterday. Already two
    > "oldies" have posted that they are starting to play again....now there's
    > three!
    >
    > I'll get my archived WinPlan and VPA files over the weekend, and then, watch
    > out for the cloaked avenger!
    >
    > Best regards
    > Tweety Bird
    > (anybody out there from my bad old days??)

    Hi Tweety,

    I think I never played you, but I remember (at least I think I do :))
    reading some of your messages here. One tactic that specifically stuck
    to my mind (I never had to use it, though) was about what a priv could
    do when being attacked by birds. You suggested building lots of cheap
    br4s with high-damage beams and cloaked intercepting his freighters.

    Matthias
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

    edsvga wrote:

    > PS.. As far as addons... depends... there are still the same ones out there,
    > but with a lot of updates.. others here can help name them, but a few pop to
    > mind such as Echoview, VPA, and others.

    Be careful to get an addon that was updated relatively recently, as the host
    data format was changed slightly, and some older ones no longer work
    properly. I believe on of the WinPlan updates also takes the change into
    account as well, but I don't use WinPlan myself, so I'm not positive about
    that.

    If I remember right, the last Thost version of the old format was
    3.22.027... ??? can anyone else confirm?

    We're up to 3.22.047 now (tho on Tim's site, he only has 3.22.046 up on it)

    -- Smoovious

    --
    _______________________________________________________ _/azz /|/|aster _____
    Kenn "Jazz" Booth II The Imperium, VGAP host

    Kenn 'Jazz' Booth II wrote:
    > edsvga wrote:
    >> PS.. As far as addons... depends... there are still the same ones out
    >> there,
    >> but with a lot of updates.. others here can help name them, but a few
    >> pop to
    >> mind such as Echoview, VPA, and others.
    >
    > Be careful to get an addon that was updated relatively recently, as the
    > host data format was changed slightly, and some older ones no longer work
    > properly. I believe on of the WinPlan updates also takes the change into
    > account as well, but I don't use WinPlan myself, so I'm not positive about
    > that.

    The only change I am aware of was the introduction of allied targets
    ("FF allies") in Host .36. Those are stored in a slightly different way
    than normal targets. But the change has no really negative effects.
    Clients which do not support that (e.g. planets.exe) simply don't
    display them.

    Previous changes were the introduction of the 1000-UFO file in 3.22,
    Host999 and the SRace host.

    Stefan

Games VGA Video Games