Getting Back into Winplan.

Last response: in Video Games
June 22, 2005 10:29:44 PM

Hi Guys,
After several years away I am getting back into Winplan.
I have a registered, if somewhat dated, copy of Winplan 3.5 that I
brought about 10 years ago.
Can anyone please tell me what web sites I should visit to obtain the
latest updates?
What is the latest version host program?
Also what add-ons are recommended?
Many shanks,
Loki

More about : back winplan

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 10:29:45 PM

Hi Loki welcome back. Go to Tim's site to get the latest updates... he
still has them there as well as some of the other hosting sites too.. Tim's
is still

http://www.vgaplanets.com

Once there, just chose the Version 3 link and it will take you to his
Version 3 site!

Again, welcome back.

PS.. As far as addons... depends... there are still the same ones out there,
but with a lot of updates.. others here can help name them, but a few pop to
mind such as Echoview, VPA, and others.

Ed
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 10:29:45 PM

Loki Avalon wrote:
> Hi Guys,
> After several years ... Winplan 3.5 that ... 10 years ago.
> what web sites ... the latest updates? ...
> Many shanks,
> Loki

Looks like the game is coming out of a slump with so many returning for
the taste of conquest once again! Welcome back!
Several host sites are active still, and many info related also.

http://vgap.net/ - mine :-)

vgaplanets.com - the 1st site.

and bunches of others i have listed here:
http://vgap.net/battlefields.html

updates & addons here..
http://vgap.net/files/downloads.html
June 23, 2005 10:02:54 PM

Hey, lets start a trend!

I got too busy for games a few years ago, but things have changed - I now
have lots of free time, and re-joined this newsgroup yesterday. Already two
"oldies" have posted that they are starting to play again....now there's
three!

I'll get my archived WinPlan and VPA files over the weekend, and then, watch
out for the cloaked avenger!

Best regards
Tweety Bird
(anybody out there from my bad old days??)

"Stormbull" <host@vgap.net> wrote in message
> Loki Avalon wrote:
> > Hi Guys,
> > After several years ... Winplan 3.5 that ... 10 years ago.
> > what web sites ... the latest updates? ...
> > Many shanks,
> > Loki
>

> Looks like the game is coming out of a slump with so many returning for
> the taste of conquest once again! Welcome back!
> Several host sites are active still, and many info related also.
>
> http://vgap.net/ - mine :-)
>
> vgaplanets.com - the 1st site.
>
> and bunches of others i have listed here:
> http://vgap.net/battlefields.html
>
> updates & addons here..
> http://vgap.net/files/downloads.html

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 3:54:34 AM

"M Wright" <nospam@please.net> wrote
> Hey, lets start a trend!
>
> I got too busy for games a few years ago, but things have changed - I now
> have lots of free time, and re-joined this newsgroup yesterday. Already two
> "oldies" have posted that they are starting to play again....now there's
> three!
>
> I'll get my archived WinPlan and VPA files over the weekend, and then, watch
> out for the cloaked avenger!
>
> Best regards
> Tweety Bird
> (anybody out there from my bad old days??)

Hi Tweety,

I think I never played you, but I remember (at least I think I do :) )
reading some of your messages here. One tactic that specifically stuck
to my mind (I never had to use it, though) was about what a priv could
do when being attacked by birds. You suggested building lots of cheap
br4s with high-damage beams and cloaked intercepting his freighters.

Matthias
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 7:18:01 AM

edsvga wrote:

> PS.. As far as addons... depends... there are still the same ones out there,
> but with a lot of updates.. others here can help name them, but a few pop to
> mind such as Echoview, VPA, and others.

Be careful to get an addon that was updated relatively recently, as the host
data format was changed slightly, and some older ones no longer work
properly. I believe on of the WinPlan updates also takes the change into
account as well, but I don't use WinPlan myself, so I'm not positive about
that.

If I remember right, the last Thost version of the old format was
3.22.027... ??? can anyone else confirm?

We're up to 3.22.047 now (tho on Tim's site, he only has 3.22.046 up on it)

-- Smoovious

--
_______________________________________________________ _/azz /|/|aster _____
Kenn "Jazz" Booth II The Imperium, VGAP host

Kenn 'Jazz' Booth II wrote:
> edsvga wrote:
>> PS.. As far as addons... depends... there are still the same ones out
>> there,
>> but with a lot of updates.. others here can help name them, but a few
>> pop to
>> mind such as Echoview, VPA, and others.
>
> Be careful to get an addon that was updated relatively recently, as the
> host data format was changed slightly, and some older ones no longer work
> properly. I believe on of the WinPlan updates also takes the change into
> account as well, but I don't use WinPlan myself, so I'm not positive about
> that.

The only change I am aware of was the introduction of allied targets
("FF allies") in Host .36. Those are stored in a slightly different way
than normal targets. But the change has no really negative effects.
Clients which do not support that (e.g. planets.exe) simply don't
display them.

Previous changes were the introduction of the 1000-UFO file in 3.22,
Host999 and the SRace host.

Stefan
!