Closed

Can't Uninstall Drivers with black screen

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Drivers
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 16, 2010 4:02:29 PM

My old graphics card quit and I couldn't get any video to uninstall drivers and when I put in the new graphics card I just get a black screen even though I can hear the Windows 7 system boots up.

The trouble shooting tips from the new card's user guide tells me to disable the motherboards graphics or uninstall the old cards drivers.

How do I do that if I can't see the screen???

Ladave

More about : uninstall drivers black screen

November 16, 2010 5:49:15 PM

Quote:
Can you tell me the model no. of your mobo,old and new card?

ABIT IP35-E mobo
new card-EVGA GeForce GTS450 SC (PCI-E or 2)
old card-XFX GeForce8600 GT
psu- CoolerMaster 600W Extreme Power Plus

I just saw on the new card box that they want 22 amps on the 12v rail and the Cooler Master provides only 18 amps;
could that be the problem?

ladave
Score
November 16, 2010 6:19:53 PM

Quote:
That psu has two rails.More than enough for your gpu.Did you connect the pci express power connector?Does your mobo support onboard gpu?If yes then connect your monitor to the mobo vga port after removing the card.Then go to bios and disable the onboard gpu.

Yes pci express power is connected.

No onboard gpu
Score
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
November 16, 2010 7:59:27 PM

Remove the card and put your old card back first you unistall the driver of your old card and reboot you must see it play with the vga default driver of windows.

Then is safe to close the computer and add the new card, installing drivers, etc black screen you get becouse the timing is not set correctly to the GDDR of your new card.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
November 16, 2010 8:05:06 PM

Quote:
Remove the card and put your old card back first you unistall the driver of your old card and reboot you must see it play with the vga default driver of windows.

Then is safe to close the computer and add the new card, installing drivers, etc black screen you get becouse the timing is not set correctly to the GDDR of your new card.

But he said the old card QUIT so probably can't do that ! --- Do you get anything on the screen when it is first turned on ? (ie. the BIOS screen or is it black from the get go) -- If it displays the boot screen then you should be able to boot into safe mode to access the video card driver installation -- though with both cards being Nvidia you shouldn't need to reinstall the driver anyway - since they both use the same driver anyway !
Score
November 16, 2010 10:43:13 PM

JDFan said:
But he said the old card QUIT so probably can't do that ! --- Do you get anything on the screen when it is first turned on ? (ie. the BIOS screen or is it black from the get go) -- If it displays the boot screen then you should be able to boot into safe mode to access the video card driver installation -- though with both cards being Nvidia you shouldn't need to reinstall the driver anyway - since they both use the same driver anyway !

I don't get anything on the screen.

The PC boots up and windows comes on because I hear the beeps and tones of windows I just can't see anything as the screen is black ! !

Thank you everyone for your ideas.

What I thought I might try is to just get a very cheap video card so I can hopefully see the screen and then uninstall the offending drivers.
Score
November 16, 2010 11:57:15 PM

What do you think of trying a cheap card and should it be a non express card??
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
November 17, 2010 12:07:54 AM

Ladave said:
What do you think of trying a cheap card and should it be a non express card??

Doubt that would make any difference just try any card you have access to - was the old card using the same slot on the MOBO ?? - it's possible that when it went bad it might have taken the slot on the MOBO with it. - DO you have a MOBO with 2 PCI-e slots ? if so try putting the card in the other slot - if not perhaps try an old PCI video card to see if it will work. What happened that made you think it was the video card and is it possible that it was actually the PCI-e slot and not the video card that went bad ?

I doubt it is a driver problem since you are replacing the old card with a newer Nvidia card and they would both use the same driver anyway.
November 17, 2010 12:31:24 AM

Yes it is using the same slot on the MOBO and there is only one PCI-e slot.

The new video card user guide indicates that if "the computer will only display a black screen after it boots into windows" then it's due to "not having uninstalled the display drivers from your previous display drivers"

Their FAQ on the web site indicates this is also true if upgrading from a previous Nvidia card.

If it is the MOBO slot then getting a card that goes into a non express slot might be the thing to try???
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
November 17, 2010 3:44:08 AM

One thing you might try if you haven't already is resetting the CMOS using the jumper on the MOBO or by unplugging the system from the wall - removing the CMOS battery - pressing the on switch and then reinstalling the battery plugging it back in and try booting (sometime a CMOS reset will help - since it might just be the system went into sleep mode and is not exiting it properly and your original video card may be fine still also if it was the same problem that made you think it was broken)

The reason I don't think it is the drivers is they are not used until the system loads the OS - the bios just uses the old VGA drivers - which is why I asked if you were getting anything at all during booting ( the Nvidia driver is loaded as part of the OS loading so even without it you should get a display of the bios flash screen and memory check -- so I'm thinking it might be the PCI-e slot - check again and make sure the card is seated properly (sometimes it will seem like it is but will not be fully in the slot) -try removing the card and look at the slot and the card connector to ensure they look right (could be something in the slot blocking one of the connections causing a short or not letting it seat properly also !) - while your at it try a different monitor cable if you have one and try the different connections on the back of the card if it has more than 1.
Score
November 17, 2010 4:36:12 AM

The original video card has 3 capacitors that have bulged and oozed at the top.

I'll try the resetting and check the seating of the card and try another monitor cable.

I'll let you know if anything works and thanks for your help.
Score
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
November 17, 2010 8:45:52 AM

Then the only thing that can do is to reset the bios in most motherboards there is a jumper on board and you need to plug it for some seconds 60 secs maximum, look at your motherboards manual for it. If you don't have the jumper to close it remove the battery for the same seconds then is safe to put the new card and turn it on.

It will start with normal vga.
Score
November 17, 2010 8:52:24 AM

Dose you New card Boot up .(shows bios contact)
if so !!
Try this , Install the New card and before your system boot up to OS press F8 and Disable VGA mode...
Now its easy to uninstall the older Driver
Score
November 18, 2010 10:02:33 PM

:bounce: 
JDFan said:
One thing you might try if you haven't already is resetting the CMOS using the jumper on the MOBO or by unplugging the system from the wall - removing the CMOS battery - pressing the on switch and then reinstalling the battery plugging it back in and try booting (sometime a CMOS reset will help - since it might just be the system went into sleep mode and is not exiting it properly and your original video card may be fine still also if it was the same problem that made you think it was broken)

The reason I don't think it is the drivers is they are not used until the system loads the OS - the bios just uses the old VGA drivers - which is why I asked if you were getting anything at all during booting ( the Nvidia driver is loaded as part of the OS loading so even without it you should get a display of the bios flash screen and memory check -- so I'm thinking it might be the PCI-e slot - check again and make sure the card is seated properly (sometimes it will seem like it is but will not be fully in the slot) -try removing the card and look at the slot and the card connector to ensure they look right (could be something in the slot blocking one of the connections causing a short or not letting it seat properly also !) - while your at it try a different monitor cable if you have one and try the different connections on the back of the card if it has more than 1.

Thank you and everyone else who responded to my plight. I got it running and it was due to incomplete connection in the slot and the 12v rail hookup. I air sprayed the slot and ran a pencil eraser over the connections on the board and took the board out and put it back in several times and that apparently made the difference because the screen came on great.

Again :bounce:  Thank you for your suggestions !!!
Score
November 18, 2010 10:06:07 PM

Best answer selected by Ladave.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
November 19, 2010 12:40:44 AM

Glad to hear you got it going !!
Score
a c 169 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
November 19, 2010 8:11:40 AM