Computer powers on, no beeps,no video

will759227

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
So i finally got my rma'd motherboard back from ASUS and here we go again? Anyhow, i built it on a piece of cardboard and it seemed to be fine (note i didn't test video). I just connected the basics. First thing i did notice that was odd, was the after jumping the mb to start on the cardboard. The fans would shut off/computer would shut off But, the fans would respin for a split second. I thought nothing of it, and proceeded to build on the inside of the case.

So i hook up everything, push power and the thing starts up, but no beeps and no video. All fans are running, optical drives open/close Video card fan spins fine. I've tried connecting the video to the MB and video card, no video on either. I am not sure what is wrong? 550watter from fatality... I've tried with no ram,1 ram and both ram.Still same thing. What to try or do next? What's going on?

This is the first and last time, i switch cases because i'm feeling board. A perfectly working Gaming pc now with all these issues just because i moved from 1 case to another.

I have the 8 pin connected to motherboard, as well as the big power plugs (yes even the 4 that go along the side of it) I have the CPU fan plugged into "CPU_FAN1" i couldn't remember if i did that or cha_1 but just went with cpu_fan1.

I'm so frustrated and i've wasted now many hours on something that should be so simple. *SIGH*

I have gksill ram f3-12800cl9d-4gbrl

Which is ddr3-1600 pc3-12800 2gbx2 ram

I forget these go in the blue slots or the black slots? I swore it was 1 and 3, nonetheless it doesn't matter since it won't even beep at me with no ram in it..

**SIGH***

jUST RESEATED the cpu, no change, Going to remove battery now, and see if that does anything.

*** pulled battery , no change ***

Should i run to a computer store and buy a psu to test with and just return it , if i find that to be the problem?

Work systematically through our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-problems
I mean work through, not just read over it. We spent a lot of time on this. It should find most of the problems.

If not, continue.

I have tested the following beep patterns on Gigabyte, eVGA, and ECS motherboards. Other BIOS' may be different, but they all use a single short beep for a successful POST.

Breadboard - that will help isolate any kind of case problem you might have.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboarding

Breadboard with just motherboard, CPU & HSF, case speaker, and PSU.

Make sure you plug the CPU power cable in. The system will not boot without it.

I always breadboard a new build. It takes only a few minutes, and you know you are putting good parts in the case once you are finished.

You can turn on the PC by momentarily shorting the two pins that the case power switch goes to. You should hear a series of long, single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence indicates a problem with (in most likely order) the PSU, motherboard, or CPU. Remember, at this time, you do not have a graphics card installed so the load on your PSU will be reduced.

If no beeps:
Running fans and drives and motherboard LED's do not necessarily indicate a good PSU. In the absence of a single short beep, they also do not indicate that the system is booting.

At this point, you can sort of check the PSU. Try to borrow a known good PSU of around 550 - 600 watts. That will power just about any system with a single GPU. If you cannot do that, use a DMM to measure the voltages. Measure between the colored wires and either chassis ground or the black wires. Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4&feature=youtube_gdata

A way that might be easier is to use the main power plug. Working from the back of the plug where the wires come out, use a bare paperclip to short between the green wire and one of the neighboring black wires. That will do the same thing with an installed PSU. It is also an easy way to bypass a questionable case power switch.

This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if it can not pass this, it is dead. Then repeat the checks with the PSU plugged into the computer to put a load on the PSU.

If the system beeps:
If it looks like the PSU is good, install a memory stick. Boot. Beep pattern should change to one long and several short beeps indicating a missing graphics card.

Silence, long single beeps, or series of short beeps indicate a problem with the memory. If you get short beeps verify that the memory is in the appropriate motherboard slots.

Insert the video card and connect any necessary PCIe power connectors. Boot. At this point, the system should POST successfully (a single short beep). Notice that you do not need keyboard, mouse, monitor, or drives to successfully POST.
At this point, if the system doesn't work, it's either the video card or an inadequate PSU. Or rarely - the motherboard's PCIe interface.

Now start connecting the rest of the devices starting with the monitor, then keyboard and mouse, then the rest of the devices, testing after each step. It's possible that you can pass the POST with a defective video card. The POST routines can only check the video interface. It cannot check the internal parts of the video card.

will759227

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
I was able to figure out that it was the video card, when the video card was in it wouldn't post. I then hooked up everything but 2 fans (the other 3 fans inside were working) and it all worked. I then proceeded to add another of the fans .As soon as i powered on, the thing started and quit immediately. i quickly turned it all off, i then removed the fan, but now the motherboard green light was doing it little flashing/flickering,I figured it must be something touching the board or something. So i unplugged it all and started over on cardboard from scratch, the thing kept blinking, i decided to unplug the 24 pin and plug it in back in, the light went back to solid green, *yay right*? no, after first beep from posting the motherboard light began to flash very fast. I assumed this meant oh sh!t... I saw a little poof of smoke near a transistor, i quickly unplugged it all and tried again. Including removing cmos. No green light on motherboard. i figured i either fried the motherboard or the PSU, well i shorted out the PSUand it turns on and stays on fine, so i go over and try the PSU i just purchased (which does work) and same thing happens, no green light comes on. Bottom line, i think it's fried some how. Moral of the story? 3 fans i guess is enough, or else maybe i piggy backed a molex that overloaded something. I got greedy, i didn't need 5 fans on the system. 3 would of been fine. I'm annoyed at myself, now i gotta rma this video card, and the motherboard again. ASUS is gonna love me LOL