Little Help / Advice For First Build

Enz

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
I have been doing my own research to the components that you will see below. Budget is around $900 or so. So, would all the following parts be compatible and work together?

PSU - Corsair CMPSU-650HX 650w HX Series 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply

GPU - XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB DDR5 2DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card HD577XZNFC

Tower - Antec Nine Hundred Steel ATX Ultimate Gamer PC Case (Black)

CPU - Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366 Desktop Processor

RAM - Corsair HX3X12G1600C9 XMS3 12 GB PC3-12800 1600Mhz 240-pin Triple Channel Core i7 DDR3 Memory Kit

Motherboard - Asus LGA 1366 Intel X58 Extreme Reliability and Durability ATX Motherboard Sabertooth X58

HDD - Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive (WD1002FAEX)

DVDRW - Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive IHAS424-98

(I would like to have 2 monitors eventually. I will not be overclocking anything. Gaming = Guild wars 2 / Starcraft 2)

Thanks

Enz

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Alright. I'll take that into account then. I'm not on these forums much and haven't ever built a computer before. What does SB stand for now? I'm sure I sound like an idiot rofl

Enz

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
aznshinobi , I like the 5770. The 6850 costs more than the card I had to begin with (looking to spend at max $140 for a card). The build looks good too. Could you tell me how the build on that site beats mine in all areas?

Well I'm glad you looked at my site makes me real happy :D

Well CPU-wise
The 950 and i5 2500(K) is practically the same performance, the difference is the i5 2500(K) has a lot of things that are pretty good one is Overclocking, you wont be using it so that doesn't matter, but also the new p67 chips have a lower power consumption and produce less heat than the old i7's and i5's. The i5 2500K also utilizes 32nm, not exactly sure the help it brings, but I do know it's related to OCing.

Ram, it is just a budget ram, but the ram is really pretty decent. G.Skill has made a rep to supply cheap but great ram at the same time. Probably will just perform the same as your corsairs.

PSU! The psu is a great psu, silver rating and so you can be assured that every bit of power is transfered nice and good. However since your not exactly using the most power consuming thing (My build on the site was with the thought of expansion IE Crossfire or SLI which is why I chose a 750w psu) you could just get like 650 XFX psu for 100$ or something along that line.

Case, meh I like both, the HAF 922 does offer more easy cable management though and is a bit newer.

Enz

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Alrighty. Well, I'll keep moving along here with questions till I'm super comfortable XD!

I like the i5 2500 after looking at it. Heck, I even SAVE $100 for the SAME performance! Let's say I go with your build from that site.. would the graphics card I originally had work fine in it? I would like to up the ram to at least 8 gigs.

Say I go with most of what I have so far.. would the i5 2500 work in that x58 motherboard?

How does the motherboard on the site beat the x58? (I read the x58 is good about keeping the heat down because of the material it's made out of)

I am going all windows 7. Both boards support windows 7 correct?

I'll keep thinking here while I wait for your reply :)

Well it's kind of hard to compare mobos. It really all depends on the user. For instance a lot of people like the Asus Crosshair or Maximus series motherboards because they OC really high really smoothly. I personally think that ROG is just a marketing scheme however it is true that ROG Overclocks really well. Now you've heard one of the names of great overclocking motherboards. Asus is one of the big brands when it comes to Overclocking. I personally like MSI and their Fuzion series motherboards (don't mix that up with the AMD Fusion).

No since your not overclocking, it is kind of pointless for a motherboard that can sustain high clock rates. So you could just get a cheap mother board. The motherboard on the site is a low priced but still good motherboard. It is one of the cheaper boards that run Crossfire at 8x/8x instead of Asus's 16x/4x. And Asrock isn't exactly a big name compared to say Gigabyte, MSI or Asus. But Asrock has been slowly making improvements.

X58 is just the socket, cooling is related to the Manufacturer moreover. For instance if you look on a motherboards picture (the best example is the EVGA X58 Classifieds) they have huge north and south bridge coolers to keep the mobo cool. Another thing to keep the life of a board longer is also the capacitors. So I like Asrock because they are cheap but they add gold capacitors to their mobos.

Anyway I find mobos just to be all the same if it's over 150$ (Depending on the company) others find the need to spend 300$ on a motherboard but I feel getting the Extreme4 or something like the Extreme6 is good enough, no reason to spend money that could be put towards a graphics card or a better cpu.

Enz

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Alright. I respect and understand what you are saying. I do like the motherboard that is on that site. I have been reading about it and it has its issues. Many were saying that comes shipped with some defect.

What boards out there support the i5 2500 processor? If the one on the site is good, it won't hurt to upgrade to the "pro" version of it? I know that the i5 is using 1155 socket. (I read about that too, Intel coming out with SO many sockets...) So, I know I need a board that is compatible with 1155 socket.

look at this board? I saw it on amazon. Just throwing it out there. I need something reliable xD.

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-LGA-1155-Motherboard-Sabertooth/dp/B004I8WD7I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1295149728&sr=1-1

and the Pro one - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131682

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157217&cm_re=extreme4-_-13-157-217-_-Product

Well the board on the site is that board and all the reviews look fine. The 1st board you posted is just a marketing scheme in my opinion. the "tactical vest" seems like something interesting but just a marketing scheme. Should you want something reliable, I've had my MSI GD70 790FX for a little over a year now maintaining a stock voltage 955 @ 3.6ghz and it runs real nice with no problems. The best thing about MSI boards they have a reset CMOS button so you don't have to use the jumper. And well it's pretty reliable IMO.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130553

Umm I like the Asus Pro you posted, but I'm a meh fan of Asus =P No offense. I just find their boards overpriced vs others like MSI or Asrock.

Enz

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Ok sir :D. I appreciate all of the information you have passed along to me. I will be following your build and look forward to my new computer <3!

MSI - Asrock it is ^_^

Have yourself a good one!