Incorrect Ram Displayed ... Help

elite-fusion

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
Hey guys, I have a weird problem. I got a company laptop, Dell, it originally came with a 4GB ram chip, but when I went to System properties, it shows 3.16GB, so I installed another 4GB ram chip to have a total of 8GB in the computer, but the computers System properties are still showing that I have 3.16GB ram. Please help me out here guys, what am I missing. I work in IT, but never seen something like this. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I am quite sure it is because your OS is not 64 bit. You cannot use the RAM because your OS is not 64 bit. All Window XP is not 64 bit apart from the Pro 64 bit version. If you have any other version of Window XP, then you cannot use more than 4GB of RAM.

I am pretty sure the QM67 chipset of the E6420 can recognise 8GB RAM. But the OS will not address more than 4GB. Use a 64 bit OS is the only way of using more than 4GB of RAM. If hardware is not registering 8GB of RAM, then check if RAM is defective. Take out the old 4GB RAM and place the new 4GB RAM in that slot and see if laptop boot.