win2K vs. win2K server

ledzepp98

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
stupid questions but here goes....how much more complicated is the server version than regular 2000? i only have experience with win98/ME and would like to try 2000. can regular win2000 act as a server also? i would like to do two things, host a business web site and have the computer act as a router. has anyone set up a server behind a cable modem and does it work well (i have the cablevision cable modem service). what kind of hardware would i need to use as a server machine (i have built computers so that is not a problem but i would like to avoid scsi). the web page at the moment only gets a few hundred hits a day at most but i would like to have something that could handle a few thousand hits a day. are there "win2K server for dummies" books that are helpful? thanks for any help....

p.s. as far as the server, i don't want to use intel. i only use amd, please no flames...
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ledzepp98 on 12/16/00 04:16 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Lucol

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There really isn't much of a diference in terms of instalation is concerned between Win2K Professional and Server. You'll likely have to use Win2K Server to host the web page since it includes Internet Information Server, unless of course you're planning on using a different hosting software. Win2K is a RAM eater, so be sure to install at a minimum, 256Mb. SCSI or IDE, well, for just a few thousand hits a day, you could probably stick with IDE without any problems.