Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Fukushima 50

Last response: in News & Leisure
March 15, 2011 10:44:00 PM

The "Fukoshima 50" are what the Japanese are calling those brave engineers and technicians that have volunteered to stay behind and bring the reactors and pooling ponds under control after the devastating 9.0 earthquake and tsunami that swept over the backup generators last Friday. The othr 750 staff were evidently released to go home to what must be a mess considering they all live near the coast.

Two are now missing ...

Lets get behind these heroes and hope they get the situation under control.

They would not have gotten much sleep over the last few days, have probably been heavily irradiated, but I for one hope they all make it.

I tip my hat to them ... prayers welcomed... fingers crossed.

More about : fukushima

March 16, 2011 2:26:13 AM

Have you heard about the bad practices of this plant. Lying about safety in 07 falsifying documents and such. The last 50 workers have pulled out from what I seen on tv. This is very bad for the people of Japan.
March 16, 2011 11:34:14 AM

christop said:
Have you heard about the bad practices of this plant. Lying about safety in 07 falsifying documents and such. The last 50 workers have pulled out from what I seen on tv. This is very bad for the people of Japan.

Can you link to some sort of news source about this?
Related resources
March 16, 2011 6:26:45 PM

Reynod said:
The "Fukoshima 50" are what the Japanese are calling those brave engineers and technicians that have volunteered to stay behind and bring the reactors and pooling ponds under control after the devastating 9.0 earthquake and tsunami that swept over the backup generators last Friday. The othr 750 staff were evidently released to go home to what must be a mess considering they all live near the coast.

Two are now missing ...

They would not have gotten much sleep over the last few days, have probably been heavily irradiated, but I for one hope they all make it.

Indeed. I just mentioned this in the other thread about the incident. It takes guts to do what they are doing, which in some cases may be essentially committing suicide by taking high amounts of radiation.
March 16, 2011 8:53:08 PM

buwish said:
Indeed. I just mentioned this in the other thread about the incident. It takes guts to do what they are doing, which in some cases may be essentially committing suicide by taking high amounts of radiation.

The Japanese never had much hesitation with sacrifice, especially in an honorable way for family or country.
March 17, 2011 9:31:23 PM

I hope that the 50 have had time to say their goodbyes to their loved ones. they are very brave and we are all extrememly grateful for their efforts in trying to control this disaster brought on by nature. My thoughts and best wishes are sent to each of them and their familes. Good luck and best wishes
Teresa from South Wales, UK.
March 18, 2011 3:53:57 AM

Oldmangamer_73 said:
The Japanese never had much hesitation with sacrifice, especially in an honorable way for family or country.

That's for sure. WWII proved that beyond a doubt, i.e. the fierceness in which they fought on the various Pacific Island, rather committing suicide than being captured, and of course, the kamikaze pilots. Not saying that those were good things in the grand scheme of it all, but it goes to the point that they will do what they feel is honorable, regardless of what may happen to them.
March 18, 2011 5:58:08 AM

- 2 engineers quit in the early 1970's over the design because the containment container was made too thin. They said that in a full meltdown it will burn through the containment. Other plants built to withstand a full meltdown are built with much thicker casing but it costs much more than the GE plants were.
The GE plants were cheaper to build. I have heard this on the news before this tragedy.

- A plant worker who has worked at similar GE plants, stated that the practice of storing large pools of spent rods was actually a bigger worry than the meltdown.
At the start when the plants were new, the plan was to transport the spent fuel to much more safer storage places. But the "not in my back yard" scenario played out over the years resulting in the spent fuel stuck in the storage pools in the plants and it never has a place to go. To be put it frankly no-one wants a radioactive waste dump in their state or province no matter how safe people say it would be.
So at most of the plants around the world the spent fuel is stuck in limbo with no permanent storage for them. Some of the plants are, like this one are about 40 years old and as a result have 40 years worth of spent fuel sitting in storage ponds, most plants have had to resort to building extra storage ponds over the years.
There have been deemed safe places for storage such as emptied salt mines, but it is impossible to get approval for a dump site. Once it is suggested people around the mine picked protest and complain and the plan gets canceled. So the most dangerous way of storing the fuel is the result, which is at the plant.
Even in Canada the waste is stuck in limbo sitting in storage ponds at the reactors.
The radiation is very high, and the workers going in to try to do what they can are on a virtual suicide mission to try and save the many others in japan, all you can do is pray they beat the odds and not get ill after.

Everyone is praying that the containers still hold in spite of being made by the lowest bidder, and that their efforts and self sacrifices are successful.

Seeing the smoke pouring out on the video, it does not look good. I would assume the smoke is very high in radiation.

I think at this point the best you can hope for is that this is not worse than Chernobyl. That is the best case scenario today. No-one wants to think what the worst case is.

The Fukishima 50 have already given their lives to fighting this, maybe they have not passed yet, but the amount of radiation they endured is unimaginable.
They are already martyrs even before they pass on.
March 19, 2011 6:47:49 PM

It looks like they got the power line hooked up, which should enable them to restart the cooling systems on all of the reactors by Sunday. Hopefully neither of the reactors aren't so far gone that the cooling system will work as it is supposed to.
March 25, 2011 9:03:20 AM

Reynod said:

Two are now missing ...

To Help Pay fo the Damages can they take any of that Radiation Water un purified and Sell it to GNC Liquid Collodial Minerals in a business deal, or maybe they have some new nuclear elements that can power those mobile gundam suits/jets!
March 25, 2011 1:43:57 PM

teresa1968 said:
I hope that the 50 have had time to say their goodbyes to their loved ones. they are very brave and we are all extrememly grateful for their efforts in trying to control this disaster brought on by nature. My thoughts and best wishes are sent to each of them and their familes. Good luck and best wishes
Teresa from South Wales, UK.

With that speech ,and a Busch on the forum it reminds me of presidents busch's farewell speech, thank you for all you have done america, and going upstairs to Mars and Megatron! (aka Quake IV and PitchBlack or Deus Ex 2 Invisible Wars Mars Base!) :bounce: 
March 25, 2011 1:46:13 PM

buwish said:
That's for sure. WWII proved that beyond a doubt, i.e. the fierceness in which they fought on the various Pacific Island, rather committing suicide than being captured, and of course, the kamikaze pilots. Not saying that those were good things in the grand scheme of it all, but it goes to the point that they will do what they feel is honorable, regardless of what may happen to them.

Is that the Final Fantasy VII Mako Reactors that leaking ,or the Fukudome Reactor is it called?
March 25, 2011 6:37:19 PM

I believe it is reactor #3 at the Fukushima Daiichi plant that is possibly leaking.
March 27, 2011 1:47:54 PM

The title of this topic has been edited by Maziar
September 12, 2011 3:32:35 PM

This topic has been closed by Reynod
!