Sign in with
Your question

Imac won't boot

Last response: in Mac Os X
July 25, 2010 5:25:20 PM

Hello community!
I have a 2006 Imac. This morning I tried to boot and it hung at the silver/white screen with the Apple logo and the spinning circle of lines below it. The computer will just hang at this screen.

Every time I tried to boot I can eventually hear the hard drive turn off. I recognize the sound when the computer was working and I put it to sleep it made the same sound. Anyways, it will hang on that screen for however long before I turn it off. I am no expert with macs, I tried loading the install disc but it wouldn't even load that and now I can't seem to eject the disc either. Please help!

More about : imac boot

July 28, 2010 12:15:17 AM

apav said:
Hello community!
I have a 2006 Imac. This morning I tried to boot and it hung at the silver/white screen with the Apple logo and the spinning circle of lines below it. The computer will just hang at this screen.

Every time I tried to boot I can eventually hear the hard drive turn off. I recognize the sound when the computer was working and I put it to sleep it made the same sound. Anyways, it will hang on that screen for however long before I turn it off. I am no expert with macs, I tried loading the install disc but it wouldn't even load that and now I can't seem to eject the disc either. Please help!

You can try a thing or two, pressing Command-Option-P-R after shime, will reset the Parameter RAM. Make sure you can hear second shime (that's the sign that its reset). Sometimes it will fix many random things.

Press the option key when you power the machine, do not stop pressing until the computer gives you a screen where you have to choose which startup disc to start from. More information here: http://face.centosprime.com/macosxw/startup-keys-boot-o...

When you startup from disc, go to the above menu, open Disk Utility and fix permissions on your internal harddrive, or you can also choose to fix issues. More often than not, this will fix any problem you may have. BE CAREFUL not to erase your harddrive, this tool is the most powerful of all and if you choose to format or initialize your harddrive, there is no way to go back!

Good luck!
m
l
!