Sign in with
Your question

Uninstalling windows 8 through a windows 7 boot.

Last response: in Windows 8
March 9, 2012 2:47:16 PM

Hi,
I currently have installed both windows 8 and windows 7 64 bit in my system.
I was unimpressed by W8, so I tried to revert back to windows 7. AT the startup, it didn't prompt me to choose an OS, and under the system & maintenance -->Advanced-->startup and recovery, I cudn't find my win 7 OS listed.

So, now I am unable to uninstall win 8.

Please help.
March 9, 2012 3:05:13 PM

If you installed Windows 8 over Windows 7, you replaced Win7. You cannot "uninstall" an operating system that was installed in this way. Unless you configured it to dual boot Win7 and Win8, you're out of luck and will need to reinstall Windows 7.

How exactly did you install Windows 8? If you did an "upgrade" then Win7 is gone. Sorry.
m
l
March 9, 2012 3:16:26 PM

I didnt configure it as dual boot. So that means I require re-installing my win 7 again?
Will the win 8 files be completely gone with that? Or wud I need to delete them manually?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
March 9, 2012 3:17:10 PM

I agree with Willard depending on how you installed it you're most likely screwed... My advice if you ever want to do something like this again especially when it's a beta either run it on a spare system or install it in a virtual environment. Oracle has virtualization software for free called Virtual Box. It's not complicated to setup and you can install any operating system you want and it won't mess with your main system... did I mention it's free!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 9, 2012 3:19:00 PM

gam0reily said:
I didnt configure it as dual boot. So that means I require re-installing my win 7 again?
Will the win 8 files be completely gone with that? Or wud I need to delete them manually?

When you begin the installation process for Win 7 choose to format the drive or delete the existing partition and create a new one. That will remove all of the old files and any others remaining from Win 8.
m
l
March 9, 2012 3:21:24 PM

gam0reily said:

If you don't want to save anything from Windows 8, like documents, bookmarks, things like that, then the easiest thing to do is just have the Windows 7 setup format the hard drive for you. This will destroy all data on the drive.
m
l
March 9, 2012 3:27:30 PM

ok, so i am gonna make a clean install now. thx for the reply.
m
l
March 23, 2012 5:19:23 AM

gam0reily said:
Hi,
I currently have installed both windows 8 and windows 7 64 bit in my system.
I was unimpressed by W8, so I tried to revert back to windows 7. AT the startup, it didn't prompt me to choose an OS, and under the system & maintenance -->Advanced-->startup and recovery, I cudn't find my win 7 OS listed.

So, now I am unable to uninstall win 8.

Please help.

It's really sad that some of the respondents have no idea on what to do other than "reformat"because you were unfortunate enough to trust in windows.

Windows does in fact have a roll-back facility in case the installation of win (H)8 goes wrong as is evidenced by many of the good suggestions found on this website (restoring Windows.Old).
What MS does not do, however, is to provide users with an easy access to this process.
As an IT professional I have successfully restored 2 production machines using these methods, one Win7 and one XP. Most of the published methods work perfectly well except perhaps when your original installation was installed on a directory called Win7 or WinXP rather than Windows (and even then there are workarounds).

Having tried win (H)8 on my Desktops I have to say that I agree with 50% of the respondents to Tom's Hardware that Win (H)8 is currently not suitable for the desktop and only satisfies the Xbox, PlayStation, I phone,I pad etc fans.

Sorry that you got bad information. For me and my desktop, Win7 rocks.
m
l
!