BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
I have Road Runner and I can connect from my router across the room to another PC when I need to do some downloading on it. I'm trying to connect useing a lan card on a pc with ME.I did the internet connection wizzard and told it to detect the settings automatic.When I try to go to the internet it can't find page.I have had no prblem in the past. In the past all I did was plig my cat 5 cable in the lan card and use the internet connection wizzard and I was able to connect.What can I do to let it reconize or connect using my road runner coming out of my router. Thanks Bruce

Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
If you have a router on your network you shouldn't have to worry about doing any sort of wizard. Usually you will be assigned a dhcp ip and you will be good to go. If you do run the network setup wizard make sure you choose "this computer connects directly to the internet through a residential gateway or through another computer on the network".
Go to a command prompt and type in ipconfig /all
Make sure you have the correct default gateway and dns servers. Usually both the gateway and dns server is your router when using default dhcp settings home routers. Home routers will usually have an ip of 192.168.x.1.
From a command prompt do a ping www.google.com to make sure you can get outside the network and that dns is working. If you can ping but you aren't getting anything in IE still see if IE has a proxy set in it for some reason.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>