Sign in with
Your question

4GB ram show 2.98GB on windows 7 64-bit

Last response: in Windows 7
December 30, 2009 6:11:18 PM

as the above, i used windows vista 32-bit before, and the ram showed 2.98 gb, and its ok bcoz i knew that 32-bit only support just up to 3 gb, but now i am using win7 64-bit, it still shows 2.98 gb usable. this is my specs. is there any incompatible hardware on my specs?

mobo: GA-VM900M
strontium 4GB ram/2GB x 2
5700 series graphic card
E7300 @ 2.66 ghz
December 30, 2009 6:30:25 PM

yus_29 said:
as the above, i used windows vista 32-bit before, and the ram showed 2.98 gb, and its ok bcoz i knew that 32-bit only support just up to 3 gb, but now i am using win7 64-bit, it still shows 2.98 gb usable. this is my specs. is there any incompatible hardware on my specs?

mobo: GA-VM900M
strontium 4GB ram/2GB x 2
5700 series graphic card
E7300 @ 2.66 ghz

Is your integrated graphics taking that ram? You may try disabling the integrated video in the BIOS.
m
l
December 30, 2009 6:32:11 PM

how to do that? could it reduce/increase any performance when do that?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2009 6:41:40 PM

If you're *sure* you're running the 64 bit version of the OS, from here I see two possibilities. The first is your motherboard may have a limitation - either by design or by BIOS setting. Check that.

Click the Start orb, and type in msconfig. Right click the msconfig app to run it as Administrator. That brings up the configuration utility. Click the Boot tab, and then click the Advanced Options button. In that window, there is a setting for Maximum Memory - Make sure the checkbox for it is clear (not checked), then reboot your computer.
m
l
December 30, 2009 6:45:55 PM

Hi,

some motherboard needs to have "Memory remapping" activated in bios to show all 4GB in x64 oses.

Brad
m
l
December 30, 2009 6:49:15 PM

Scotteq, the checkbox is already uncheck when i open it.
brad, what is memory remapping? is there any setting for that? how to activate it in bios?
m
l
December 30, 2009 7:13:36 PM

Quote:
VIA chipset, YUCK.

Well I'd like to know what revision you have of that mobo (rev1 or rev2)?

I think this has something to do with the Via Chrome9 graphics.

I would first go into the bios and disable onboard graphics/vga/video or whatever it's referred to. You never want something your not using enabled.

You should also know that the E7300 is NOT supported by either Rev1 or Rev2 of that model motherboard according to Gigabytes website.
yes i
knew about the cpu, but i has been running well for approx 2 years, and i have posted thread about that and they said it doesn't matter if its running well. its Rev2 model.

but i cheked at the display properties, total video memory is 2271 MB and dedicated memory just 1024MB. shared memory is 1247MB. so is that the matter?
m
l
December 30, 2009 7:31:19 PM

yus_29 said:
yes i
knew about the cpu, but i has been running well for approx 2 years, and i have posted thread about that and they said it doesn't matter if its running well. its Rev2 model.

but i cheked at the display properties, total video memory is 2271 MB and dedicated memory just 1024MB. shared memory is 1247MB. so is that the matter?

Besides needing a 64bit OS, your BIOS also needs to either support a "memory remap" feature or automatically support this kind of feature. Look thru your bios for any kind of memory option that mentions 'mapping'

Most people take for granted that a 64bit OS fixes the 4GB issue but you also need a MB Bios that does.

I'm guessing your MB doesnt not have the possibility of using more then 4GB ram.. Havent checked the MB specs tho.
m
l
December 30, 2009 10:23:18 PM

i don't get any specified answer here, i am not computer guy so i am a little bit confuse about memory mapping or so. my mobo specs does show that its support up to 4 gb ram and it does support 64 bit. i am using the latest bios version. okay i have another question, let say if my mobo doesn't support more than 3 gb ram, do i get other benefits from 64-bit feature?
m
l
December 31, 2009 12:14:13 PM

Quote:
Quote:
dedicated memory just 1024MB

That's your missing 1gb. Your still asking us questions but you have not told us if you have tried the suggestions we have given you.

If your not going to try the suggestion I gave you, then I'm done helping.
of course i did try all of them, there is no memory mapping option in the bios, i did try the scotteq's advice, and disabled integrated memories. still same.
m
l
December 31, 2009 8:07:07 PM

Quote:
What is integrated memories? There's no such thing, so how you disabled something that doesn't exist is beyond me.

I think you need to read your mobo manual. I'm sure the answer to your question is in there.
actually, i did make the vga share
memory smaller=64 mb, just didn't remember the term. the Init display is already PEG but there is no dual display function option. i save the setting and i rebooted, and nothing happen, still same.
m
l
!