it does not; the case sends a momentary signal to the MB's power switch connector, which then either powers it off or does an orderly shutdown, normally the latter...

The only way to fully power a MB down (and instantly) is to switch off the PSU at the rear...(not adviseable with your system up and running, better to do orderly shutdowns when possible...)

AJK101

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
sorry, should have been more detailed : I do not have a case, just a bunch of parts put together on a table, now when i switched on the main power supply, power LED came on, but nothing else works. For this reason, i was wondering about this.

Some motherboards have built in power and reset switches. Most do not. If you have a breadboarded (assembled without a case) system, the simplest way to start the computer is with a paper clip. From the back of the plugged in main power connector, momentarily short the green wire to one of the adjacent black wires.

Because I do a lot of breadboarding, I made a small breakout box from wiring salvaged from an old case.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboarding

And, as the thread noted, the eVGA 680i board does have builtin switches.

AJK101

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Thanks a lot, I did that, and yet the led that shows the power on/off doesn't pass any current onto the buzzer I have, so I am guessing there is some other problem that I cannot comprehend yet :(