E6750 + mini ITX = how many watts?

UrbanNomad

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
I'm building a mini ITX setup for my wife, and am planning to drop my current comp's E6750 into it (at full load it consumes 65-70W). Beyond the CPU, there will be 2 or 4gb DDR2-800, one slim DVDRW drive and one HD (possibly SSD), plus of course a keyboard and mouse.

The problem is that I'm not sure about the PSU. Our space is quite limited, and really can't go with anything other than a slim case (i.e., cooler master elite 100), but all cases in this category seem to come with no more than a 150W PSU, which I believe is really intended for some kind of onboard cpu setup, like an atom.

Will 150W actually be enough for the setup I'm planning?

4745454b

Titan
With onboard video perhaps. I don't know those PSUs so I don't know how much of that 150W is available on the 12V rail. 12A (144W) would be best, but its probably closer to 8-10A. If it is 8A, then you only have 96W, and your CPU is going to use 75W. This doesn't leave you with a lot for board, ram, and other. Even if it has 10A that's only 120W and only ~50W after the CPU. (official TDP is 65W.)

Your best bet might be to underclock the CPU. Drop the Vcore and CPU speed down and you should be able to get it down to 45W or so. I don't know the settings, you'll have to play around with it and a kill a watt.

UrbanNomad

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it will be an onboard video setup. I thought about underclocking the CPU, but I'm not sure what options are supported on the motherboards for it.

As for the PSU, I'm afraid I don't know if this helps but they ran some tests on it in this review. They also say that it looks like it's a re-labelled FSP150-50LE, if that helps.

Thanks again.

EDIT: After sifting through the specs, if that review is right about the PSU being a FSP150-50LE, then the manufacturer claims 10a on the 12v rail. So it looks like maybe it's doable? As far as I can tell from research on the net, the HD will draw 10-15W, and as for the DVDRW, Pioneer has a slim drive that is supposed to only draw 5W even while writing. Trouble is, I don't know how much to expect from the mboard + ram...