dominnater

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Hi I have some easy questions to ask some of you guys. I'm looking for a good CPU to throw into a new build and thought I might have a look at the i3.

If I buy a mobo without on-board video, could I use the i3 as on-board video until I could buy the 6850 I'm wanting to get?

Does the i3 beat the Phenom II x4 in gaming? all around multitasking?

Any other CPUs I should look at like i5?

Build is due very soon. main use for gaming and entertainment.

my budget is less than $450 and I need other parts so please don't recommend a $500 CPU :non:

Solution
Question 1: The i3 2100 has integrated graphics, so you'll have graphics with any H67 based motherboard.

Question 2: Yes, in gaming, it will beat every single AMD processor on the market, including the x6's. However in heavily multithreaded applications, like Photoshop for example, you will see lower performance than a processor with four physical cores.

Question 3: i3 2100 and i5 2500k are the only ones to really look at, and unless you need the extra cores I'd say go with the 2100, especially for your budget.

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Question 1: The i3 2100 has integrated graphics, so you'll have graphics with any H67 based motherboard.

Question 2: Yes, in gaming, it will beat every single AMD processor on the market, including the x6's. However in heavily multithreaded applications, like Photoshop for example, you will see lower performance than a processor with four physical cores.

Question 3: i3 2100 and i5 2500k are the only ones to really look at, and unless you need the extra cores I'd say go with the 2100, especially for your budget.

Solution

walterm

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Only the P67 Chipset overclocks the Cpu, and only the K CPUs overclock more than minimally. The H67 will over clock ram. The H61 I do not know.
NOTE: not all H61 or H67 motherboard include video connections.

dominnater

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I see. Ok so the i3 wont be overclockable or very little overclocking. So intel is charging extra for an overclockable CPU! Seems a bit rediculous but oh well. So i guess I'll have to settle for graphics overclocking then.

I think it's an issue of being required to lock the bus speed due to architecture. Because of this, an unlocked multiplier is required. I suppose AMD really gives unlocked multipliers for free though with it's Phenom II's.

Also, the onboard video will do everything you NEED. But it won't look good in games at all. It should hold you over in the meantime though.

To clarify, $450 includes your graphics, right? If not, you can get an i5-2500K and new build for $450 and add graphics later*.

*P67 requires a discrete graphics solution--even a really crappy one will do.