How to Maximise CPU Performance?

draiklord

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
Okay so recently I've noticed that a lot of tiny actions I do on the computer, although small, take a long time.
The thing is that when doing these actions, my cpu is seen as only maybe 6% used.

So for exampe openning a tab takes maybe 10-15 seconds sometimes instead of one, and locking the computer takes maybe 15 seconds instead of instant. Before these actions were all done instantly, but they seem to be slowing done. At the same time the CPU does not seem to be stressed or anything (still indicating maybe 4-12% used).

I have done numerous virus checks, and all came up with nothing.

My CPU is a T9900 3.06 GHZ. CPU temperature is also normal.

So I'm wondering, is there any ways I can maximise the CPU? Even make it use more of it's resources if possible? It seems almost as a waste that it's only using 6%, and yet other actions are so slow compared to before. This also makes me think, is there any ways I could essentially "clean" my CPU to get to to run as fast as before? Lastly, whats the main problem happening here?

Solution
there is nothing that can make a CPU work more efficiently except microarch, and OS coding.

And just because you have 8 gigs of RAM doesn't mean you have enough virtual memory, your virtual memory is probably circa 4 gigs now or even 6 gigs, i usually max out my virtual memory even on a new computer, which is usually 2 gigs higher than your RAM so you should have 10 gigs of Virtual memory...

Upendra09

Distinguished
To clean your computer:

1. run disk cleanup

2. Defrag the HDD

then go to startup apps and uncheck things you don't need running on startup this will create a small difference in your performance, noticeable but not significant, in the same program you should be able to see what apps you want running in the background this should make a bigger difference

As for pure CPU power....... Try to OC it, i also recommend increasing virtual memory

draiklord

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
Okay, is there any programs that dictate the CPU to work at a higher efficiency than it's currently running at? Like reprograming the CPU to use 50% of it's resources as opposed to 10%?

Also, I don't think power is the issue, since it's not even slightly reaching 100%, just that it's low usage, but also low speed. My laptop has 8GB RAM, so I don't think that should be a problem either.

Upendra09

Distinguished
there is nothing that can make a CPU work more efficiently except microarch, and OS coding.

And just because you have 8 gigs of RAM doesn't mean you have enough virtual memory, your virtual memory is probably circa 4 gigs now or even 6 gigs, i usually max out my virtual memory even on a new computer, which is usually 2 gigs higher than your RAM so you should have 10 gigs of Virtual memory...

Solution