Sign in with
Your question

A build for the future

Last response: in Systems
January 16, 2011 1:57:50 PM

Hi everybody!

I just want to hear your professional opinion about the following build and help me understand some issues.
What i want from the new pc is the ability to enjoy gaming and pro gaming to its fullest for at least 2-3 years.

CPU - Intel 2500k
MOB - Asus P8P67 Pro
Memory - 2X2GB G.Skill Ripjaws Dual Channel 1600Mhz
Graphics Card - GTX570/2XGTX460/HD 6950 (no idea)
PS - Corsair TX 850W
Case - CoolerMaster HAF 922
Monitor - Samsung 2233RZ 22" 3D Ready

Now,
1)My biggest issue is the choice of the videocard... I have no idea what to choose, because on one hand 2X460GTX are the best choice right now, but on the other hand for the future it may be better to buy one GTX570/HD 6950 and buy a second one in the future.

2)Is this PSU will be enough for SLI?

3)Is there is a real difference between Dual Channel memory and regular one?

4)What do you think about this Samsung 3D ready monitor?

Thanks in advance!:) 

More about : build future

January 16, 2011 4:44:09 PM

What, nobody cares?
m
l
January 16, 2011 4:53:56 PM

Its a sunday so there arent nearly as many people on right now so be patient.

I would go for a single card over starting with a two card setup as that leaves you with an upgrade option, i would take a GTX 570 over a 6950 right now.

That PSU will be fine for SLI, check the price versus the XFX 850W unit, its usually around the same price and is modular which is nice, its a solid seasonic built unit.

Running your memory in dual channel provides twice the bandwidth which can boost performance in applications that need a lot of memory bandwidth, its about how you set them up in the board though rather than what they are advertised as.

I wouldnt get that monitor, i would pick up a bigger one thats higher resolution instead, since that one is only 1680x1050, you can get a 1920x1200 thats bigger for less and will end up looking better.
m
l
Related resources
January 16, 2011 5:29:57 PM

I really appreciate your reply... I am nervous, because i need to buy it tommorow...

About the monitor... If there is a chance that the new wave of games would push for 3D(like Crysis 2, for example), then i will have to buy a new monitor... That Samsung is not the best monitor in the world, but for gaming and pro gaming i think its the best option right now alongside with Asus VG236H which is not available in my country right now and very expensive(cause it only sells with 3D glasses together), because they provide a good old technology with the option for new.

And by the way, do you think that 1680x1050 is a little low for full gaming experience?
m
l
January 16, 2011 5:35:42 PM

Its going to be quite a while before most games support 3D, i doubt any will require it within 5 years, so you wont need to buy a new monitor for quite a while. I just think that for the price a much better monitor can be picked up that will give you higher detail levels and make it look better.

Keep in mind that 3D cuts your FPS in half, so if you do play games in 3D you will need to turn down the settings to keep your FPS up in some games. By the time most things have 3D support monitors and TVs that support it will have dropped in price, and the glasses will have to, i just dont think its worth spending the money on right now if you are on any kind of a budget.
m
l
January 16, 2011 5:39:59 PM

It's much cheaper and must stronger to buy 6850 Crossfire instead of 460 SLI although single 6850 is weaker than a single 460.

And it's NOT a smart idea to buy 3D monitor now. Wait 5 more years and decide.
Right now, go to newegg and get samsung syncmaster bx2331 for $200 and that's awesome right there.
m
l
!