Sign in with
Your question

GTX 460 SLI running hot

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 17, 2010 2:13:31 AM

Hey guys, I just got my two Zotac GTX 460 1GB cards in today - one thing I immediately notice is that they run crazy hot under load. When playing Crysis the top card go up to almost 90* C and the bottom card was around 84-86*C with fans maxed (70% - but I can't turn it up any higher, and I think it's glitched anyway as 70% = 100% or something?). I have an Antec P182 case, has a 120 mm intake fan, 120 mm top exhaust fan, and 120 mm rear exhaust fan. They're the Antec 3-speed fans, I cranked the front one and the top one to high speed - rear exhaust is at medium speed. I recently ran Heaven 2.1 benchmark (Which I scored 35.7 FPS with everything maxed at 1920x1200 except Tessellation which was normal - I got 39.9 FPS when I had it at 4x AA instead of 8x) - and by the time the test was done (Like 5 minutes or so) the cards went from a roughly 45-50* C idle to 82* C on the bottom card and 88* C on the top card.

Now I came off two GTX 260's I ran in SLI as well and their load temps were about 74-76* C quite regularly with settings up fairly high. Idle temps for the 260's were about 55* C - but to be fair I never setup a fan profile for them so it was the auto one which liked to default at 40%, I setup a profile for the 460's so I don't know how much that is helping. So I'm wondering what's wrong here? I see some people saying the 460's don't go over 75* C under load, but I'm far from doing that at almost 90* C. I know the max temp is 104* C I'm just concerned that they're running so hot. They don't seem to go over 90* C, but I wouldn't want them hovering around that temperature. Using MSI afterburner right now and my fan speeds are 36% with idle temps at 48* C on both cards.

So do you think this is a problem with my cards, a problem with my case, or something else? I have airflow optimized the best I can in the case - can't really do much more to improve it I think. I do have a card inbetween the 460's - my sound card, but I can't put it anywhere else although it does not block the fans at all. I have a little over 6" of clearance behind the case (I have little choice where else to put it - it's under my desk, but it's not in a cubby hole or anything so the sides and front have plenty of space around them. My room always feels warm, thermometer says 30* C and that's with the heat on in the house set moderately (So it's 85* F in my room and the themostat is set at 74* F - and I do have the fan on too). Today it had just rained so it's 46* F outside (Roughly 8-12* C I'm guessing). So, given all those factors - what do you think is the cause?
November 17, 2010 7:24:34 AM

These cards are designed to run hot, and that they do.

I have the 470's in SLI and my top card runs around 85-90oc mark.

The only thing you have to worry about is when they get to the high 90's (98+) as the tolerance is 104/105oc for these.

Ive personally spoken to Nvidia in the UK, and many people who deal with these cards, with regards to the temps a while ago as i was a tad on the worried side that due to the temperatures being soo high, that they would void the warranty due to this. Both the POP and Nvidia explained the above is perfectly acceptable and well within the tolerance. So nothing to worry about, go and have fun.. :) 
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 17, 2010 7:37:42 AM

I would test without the sound card.
Do you have on m/b sound ?
If not, enable the sound out of one of the 460's.
Ramp up your fan profile, or try auto again.
Look for a bios update for those 460's, if you can't go over 70%, I've read about this before in another model.
Are these the EE 460's that blow air out of the case or release air internally ?
m
l
Related resources
November 17, 2010 8:45:41 AM

notty22 said:
I would test without the sound card.
Do you have on m/b sound ?
If not, enable the sound out of one of the 460's.
Ramp up your fan profile, or try auto again.
Look for a bios update for those 460's, if you can't go over 70%, I've read about this before in another model.
Are these the EE 460's that blow air out of the case or release air internally ?

No, my speakers use an digital coax output and my motherboard only has optical output. I don't know sound through the video card works - I am assuming over HDMI? However I have nothing that is HDMI, my monitor is DVI. When I looked it seems pretty unanimous with the fan not ever saying it will go over 70%. I have a Zotac, and I saw lots complaining on EVGA forums about theirs doing it and I read a few other brands here and there - I think it's an issue with the 460 series.

My cards look like this:

Air is directed out the back - not into the case.

P.S. I just played TF2 for a couple hours, top card temp hit 74* C bottom card hit 70* C. So it seems only the most graphic demanding games make it go near 90* C. I just wish I knew why my 460's run as hot as 470 and 480's...most people praised the 460's for being much cooler and quieter and the like, and to me it doesn't sound like I'm getting much of that! I ran Furmark earlier and the top card hit 99* C...yeah I stopped it before it had the chance to hit 100* C - it just amazed me that they could get so hot! I touched the back of the case where they were and it was of course scoulding hot. Am I doing something wrong or do these people just have amazing cases and my Antec P182 is just really limiting my cooling?

Here's what my case looks like (I took the fan at the bottom and put it in the front where that little cage is - my PSU had such thick wires it would never fit down there!)

It had a door on the front, but it broke off (Grrr...plastic!) so now it has no door to hinder cooling (I used to prop it open anyway). I'm tempted by one of those cases with the giant fan on the side...surely that would keep it all cool...but I'm not saying I'm looking to get rid of my case, I just want these cards running cooler!
m
l
November 17, 2010 11:33:31 AM

That's bloody hot for a GTX460, although only using a single card mine (ASUS) tops out at under 60c on auto fan.

Your ambient temp is a bit on the warm side but the main issue is most likely the lack of a side or bottom fan, I imagine the airflow around that part of the case is pretty bad.

Perculiar that they're running hotter then a pair of GTX260's though.

Edit: Just a thought, tried running with the side off and sticking a fan next to them?
m
l
November 17, 2010 8:54:50 PM

flaminggerbil said:
That's bloody hot for a GTX460, although only using a single card mine (ASUS) tops out at under 60c on auto fan.

Your ambient temp is a bit on the warm side but the main issue is most likely the lack of a side or bottom fan, I imagine the airflow around that part of the case is pretty bad.

Perculiar that they're running hotter then a pair of GTX260's though.

Edit: Just a thought, tried running with the side off and sticking a fan next to them?

No, that I didn't. I'll give it a try the next time I'm playing a game and it gets up around 80*C. Like I said, they ran just the same as my GTX 260's did playing TF2 - never went over 74*C. They hated Crysis though, that got the top one to my aforementioned 88*C and the bottom one to 84*C. These guys definitely idle way cooler - right now they're both at 42*C, whereas my 260's would be at 55*C.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 17, 2010 9:34:44 PM

reccy said:
These cards are designed to run hot, and that they do.

For only a short time yet we get people who post on Newegg complaining that their card(s) have failed after a few weeks to a months use.

To the OP it is good judgment on your part for having posted here or any ware really about your thermal problem. The cores may last at those temps but the rest of the card however won't and each is different. You can't keep a card working for very long when the power vrm in running 90-130c while under full load and the vram won't hold up to 90c for very long. Dual gpu cards often suffer failures before they are genially obsolete due to these high temps and single gpu cards are not far behind. What you can do is place a fan near the rear of the cards to improve airflow and this will bring down your temps enough to not fry them right away. You need to place yet another fan or fans (they can be low rpm silent fans but better than nothing) near the top of the top card and another at the bottom to cool the lower card. If you do it right the temps should drop into the 70s. It doesn't matter much when the whole case has good airflow when airflow around the cards is nonexistent. My current sli rig was rather toasty till I did this and now I can abuse it daily but it isn't my main rig any more. The GTX460 isn't a power hog that needs a cooling plant just to keep it running but it does have needs and attention.
m
l
November 17, 2010 9:50:22 PM

Hmm - not sure what is going on but that sounds really hot. I have two in SLI (stock OC'ed) and they MIGHT reach 70C - even when playing Crysis.

m
l
November 17, 2010 9:51:14 PM

(Sorry, I should have mentioned that mine are eVGA)
m
l
November 17, 2010 10:03:30 PM

nforce4max said:
For only a short time yet we get people who post on Newegg complaining that their card(s) have failed after a few weeks to a months use.

To the OP it is good judgment on your part for having posted here or any ware really about your thermal problem. The cores may last at those temps but the rest of the card however won't and each is different. You can't keep a card working for very long when the power vrm in running 90-130c while under full load and the vram won't hold up to 90c for very long. Dual gpu cards often suffer failures before they are genially obsolete due to these high temps and single gpu cards are not far behind. What you can do is place a fan near the rear of the cards to improve airflow and this will bring down your temps enough to not fry them right away. You need to place yet another fan or fans (they can be low rpm silent fans but better than nothing) near the top of the top card and another at the bottom to cool the lower card. If you do it right the temps should drop into the 70s. It doesn't matter much when the whole case has good airflow when airflow around the cards is nonexistent. My current sli rig was rather toasty till I did this and now I can abuse it daily but it isn't my main rig any more. The GTX460 isn't a power hog that needs a cooling plant just to keep it running but it does have needs and attention.

I was wondering, is it possible they need to have the heatsinks removed and have thermal paste reapplied? Some people seeemed to mention this on their cards improving hot temps - I just would prefer not to have to do that.

I'm not sure how I'd go about mounting a fan on the back since the DVI ports and stuff are in the way. I guess I could get one of those slot coolers but thing is - I cannot put anything at the bottom. My bottom card is just about touching that area in the middle that seperates the mobo section from the PSU section below. I can put a cooler on the top but not the bottom. These things point me towards a new case, but there's no way I could buy a nice case like this one again ($180 case that I lucked into being on sale for $110 when I bought it). I like quiet but I want good cooling too, and it seems the cases with the mesh offer wonderful cooling - but more noise too.

Heh I was looking at one case that had two 120mm fans on the back - two 120 mm fans on top, four 120 mm fans in the door and I think two 120 mm fans in the front. It's tempting to buy such a case to prevent hot temps at all, but I wonder how much noise that would all make? I mean if you have a ton of 120 mm fans you can set them to do medium probably and get good airflow I suppose? I don't know though. An important question relating to the video cards - do you think this is any defect that I would need to return them for? I just bought these so I can still return if that is an issue and get Newegg to send me replacements. I have rebates and extra content that I'm holding off on using and sending in so I can still return if need be - but boy I'd rather not do that if it's not a defect of some kind.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 17, 2010 10:59:13 PM

RavinRivie said:
I was wondering, is it possible they need to have the heatsinks removed and have thermal paste reapplied? Some people seeemed to mention this on their cards improving hot temps - I just would prefer not to have to do that.

I'm not sure how I'd go about mounting a fan on the back since the DVI ports and stuff are in the way. I guess I could get one of those slot coolers but thing is - I cannot put anything at the bottom. My bottom card is just about touching that area in the middle that seperates the mobo section from the PSU section below. I can put a cooler on the top but not the bottom. These things point me towards a new case, but there's no way I could buy a nice case like this one again ($180 case that I lucked into being on sale for $110 when I bought it). I like quiet but I want good cooling too, and it seems the cases with the mesh offer wonderful cooling - but more noise too.

Heh I was looking at one case that had two 120mm fans on the back - two 120 mm fans on top, four 120 mm fans in the door and I think two 120 mm fans in the front. It's tempting to buy such a case to prevent hot temps at all, but I wonder how much noise that would all make? I mean if you have a ton of 120 mm fans you can set them to do medium probably and get good airflow I suppose? I don't know though. An important question relating to the video cards - do you think this is any defect that I would need to return them for? I just bought these so I can still return if that is an issue and get Newegg to send me replacements. I have rebates and extra content that I'm holding off on using and sending in so I can still return if need be - but boy I'd rather not do that if it's not a defect of some kind.

/Face palm

The DVI end of the card is the front end and the rear is ware the plugs are. You need to feed air near that rear of the cards and a single 120mm fan will do the job as any thing is better than nothing. The problem is that you don't have enough air feeding into the coolers on the cards to be effective. As for the software bug I don't know a quick fix or one that comes to mind. If they begin becoming dead bricks on your RMA them complaining of thermal issues that have resulted in problems. As for the case having just two 120mm fans isn't going to be enough it is confined spaces between the cards that is causing you problems. Add a fan near the cards to force air between them.
m
l
November 17, 2010 11:15:49 PM

That Zotac card has fairly terrible airflow, most of the vent on the back is blocked by that DVI port. You could return them for a couple of EVGA EE cards which should run a little cooler than those.
m
l
November 17, 2010 11:39:38 PM

I bought the Zotac cards because they were in my price range...EVGA cards cost more, no lifetime warranty. I bought EVGA before but I refuse to buy from them if they are going to make you pay extra for lifetime warranty - and my last two cards gave me issues and they were EVGA.

Also...how was I to know which end is the front or back? I would call the part with the DVI ports that faces out the back of the machine to be the back and the part facing towards the front of the machine to be the front. It's not really possible to put another fan in there. My hard drive bracket has a thing where I could add one but it is so close to the cards and my PSU cables are very thick - not the cheap kind with a few stranded wires, these are big fat cables that I can't make any smaller. Here's what my PCI-E cables look like to give an idea:

And consider I have four of those in a tight area (But I've tried to route them so they are not hindering any airflow. So if that is a problem, essentially my case would be the problem. I have no room to do anything else (Crazy considering this isn't what I'd call a tiny case). Again - any credibility to reapplying the thermal paste?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 17, 2010 11:58:33 PM

/FACEPALM -.-

OK stick a fan at the end of the card ware you plug you 6pin cables ok. Is that HARD to understand, I am patient by only for a while when it is tested. You have to forst air between them or let them burn up.
m
l
November 18, 2010 12:32:08 AM

nforce4max said:
/FACEPALM -.-

OK stick a fan at the end of the card ware you plug you 6pin cables ok. Is that HARD to understand, I am patient by only for a while when it is tested. You have to forst air between them or let them burn up.

How hard is it to understand that there is NO ROOM to put a fan where you're saying? Here, pics of my rig:

Please, do tell where I'm supposed to put a fan "at the back" or "front" of these cards? The fan mount I have fits on the end of that cage you see - and consider it being even longer with a 120 mm fan sticking out from it...yeah it won't fit. The wires will not bend that much and I hate having them as bent as you see in the picture. They're very thick and not easy to manipulate - plus those REMI cores make them less flexible too. With my old GTX 260's the plugs were on the sides and I could have put a fan where you are suggesting with these cards if they had done that...but they don't. There is a fan behind that cage in the front turned on high taking air in, but like I said I don't have anywhere I can put a fan down there - I can put one above them - but not below. And the case fans meant to cool VGA cards via the PCI slots seem to be designed to be stuck underneath the card - not above.

So again, it sounds more like my case is the cause of the problem here. This is what I'm trying to determine. If so...a lot of good it did me to buy an expensive case, I could have bought a cheap one and had better cooling.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 18, 2010 1:01:55 AM

I got worse and still found room. You need skill and the mind to do the job. Even designed a bracket for one on of my fans that would fit onto the card its self to mount a small 40mm fan. You can mid mount a fan over the top of the two card using a bracket that suspends it from the i/o plate but there hasn't been much engineering talent for decades thanks to the state of education in Europe and America dropping like a rock. I am a modder and have my own ideas to solving problems at a low cost.
m
l
November 18, 2010 1:38:32 AM

nforce4max said:
You need skill and the mind to do the job ... there hasn't been much engineering talent for decades thanks to the state of education in Europe and America dropping like a rock. I am a modder and have my own ideas to solving problems at a low cost.

What is that supposed to mean? I don't feel I should have to go outside the normal methods of installing something to fix this problem. When I keep reading reviews of people saying they never hit over 70*C on Furmark and I almost hit 100*C I want to know WTF is wrong. Is it just everyone perpetually lies like a SOB on the internet? Jesus, I'm just tired of never getting what other people do. I could SLI two GTX 580's and some guy with two GTX 260's would post a 3Dmark score that smokes me. I just don't get why my setup never ends up being as good as it should be, despite the fact I bought pretty nice components.

While you may enjoy jerry rigging your case, I do not - I like everything to be firmly mounted to things, and attached to something substantial - more than just a lousy zip tie or something holding it there. I could just set a fan in the hard drive cage (An 80 mm would fit, maybe a 120 mm), but then it's not secured at all. I wouldn't mind as much if I had bought a cheapo case, but this stupid Antec was expensive. Besides, how do I get standard cooling temps using my 260's (mid-70*C is a normal temp for them) and yet I get a card that is by design supposed to run cooler and it goes to near 90*C playing intensive games and mid-70*C on standard games where others can't even get theirs to 70*C using Furmark? Hmph, apparently I'm no better off than having a GTX 480 as far as heat goes - I wouldn't feel so bad if it ran hot since that's supposed to be normal.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 18, 2010 2:32:50 AM

Don't ever use the Lord's name in vein like that again -_- go post some ware else if you don't like the answers that you are getting. If you want pretty then go buy a $4k Mac Pro and be done with it.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 18, 2010 3:05:48 AM

There are two possibilities I see.

A) Cards aren't getting enough air flow. You can test for this by removing the side and using a large fan to blow air in. Obviously this doesn't explain why the new cards run hotter than the old ones.

B) There is something wrong with the design of this particular card. Perhaps it is the 1/2 blocked back port or the lack of a cut around the fan (for when cards are placed in close SLI).

Some other ideas to check, what temps do you get when only ONE card is physically in the case. If temps drop significantly, there may be a severe blockage problem.
m
l
November 18, 2010 3:48:55 AM

nforce4 - sorry Father, I shall repent my ways...please, if you're going to be so melodramatic and not be reasonable then don't bother. I jerry rigged an 80mm fan in my case pretty much solely based on what you were saying to see if that helps any - but whatever. For the record, Mac = fail. I'm not about pretty, I don't like having to modify an expensive case - if it costs all that it should have thought of such things. But again, whatever.

As I have pointed out before, the reason I bought the Zotacs was price. I bought them for $190 each - totaling up to $380, take off 10% from my promo code and it was only $350 after shipping. Mail in rebate for $20 for each one takes it down to $310, comes with two copies of HAWX 2 ($50 game) I plan to sell each for $25 - knocks cost down to $260. Everyone else had no mail in rebates, no discounts or anything, and no lifetime warranty. If someone could show me an equally good deal to what I just mentioned, I'd consider it. I bought these from Newegg last week and they got here just the other day so I'm well within the time to return for refund and I haven't registered anything for that exact reason.

Performance wise I like them, although I'm disappointed I can't play Crysis maxed out - still stutters once in awhile. But seriously...I was using a 6800 Ultra as a temp card, I need a real replacement and quick if I returned these. The 6800 Ultra is a horrible hold over as it can't animate ANYTHING (Even Mahjong Titans and the like, it lags horribly). If I return the 460's I'm afraid my only choice will be something like a single GTX 470 as most other GTX 460 1 GB SLI combos are too expensive at $400. I wanna stay under the $300 price range. Please do make suggestions, I'm well within contemplation of a return.
m
l
November 18, 2010 5:32:21 AM

well i guess that is a pretty good deal... I say stay with it then and live with the increased temperatures. Yea if you look at the reviews for it on newegg others are also complaining about the noise and heat produced by this particular model.

What do you mean by not being able to max out crysis, i have a single gtx 460 768mb and I can max it out at 4x aa easily. Maybe something is wrong with one of your cards (probably not since they are working). Check them separately and do furmark on each seeing what temperature they each reach.

IMO though if you plan to replace them go for a single 6870, don't get a 470 because you will just be sad about the heat again, unless you get one with a good cooler. But 2 460's at the price you got is by far better price/performance than anything.
m
l
November 18, 2010 7:48:38 AM

nforce4max said:

Shut up..

These cards have a max temp load of 105oc.. All cause they are in the 80's/90's doesnt mean they fail... Some might granted. Cant believe that nvidia would design a card to run hot, but when it does, they fail.. These cards have been designed and tested to run at these loads otherwise they wouldnt be on the market. Yes, some brands have reserached and produced a design to keep these cooler, but by no means a reference design card running at 80/90oc set to fail like you suggest.

You really think nvidia produce cards to fail?? :non: 

m
l
November 18, 2010 10:24:14 AM

I do have two Galaxy 460's SLI, in a smaller case than yours (the original poster) although I have see your case in the shops.
In total I have put 6 extra 120mm fans in the case, for front and back intake and exhaust, while two more can be mounted above the 460's I have them blowing in. My cards are sat right next to each other in the case, so they are SLI'ed next to each other.
When gaming I have one card at 80-90c and the other card at 40-50c, the very noticeable thing is that one card is simply sucking in the other cards heat as the fan is facing the back of the other cards PCB.

All your problem is going to be is that, the 460's are hot if not cooled properly, the heat sinks and fans on my cards look fairly comprehensive, and I am sure the other brands are the same, my heatsink covers the entire card, and once the fans have been turned up to 100% they make quite a noise. A single card under load 20% fan will run to 60-70C the fan at 100% will run 30-40C at 100% load (GTA4)

I would say two things, make sure you have installed the correct control software that came with the cards so you can get the fans spinning at 100%, sounds dumb, but I actually didn't notice/bother looking at the bundled software for a week, after purchase.

Also get some small fans (80mm) and tape them/stick them to the back of the PCB on the offendingly hot card behind the area where the actual GPU is, if its a tight fit - make it fit, the fan doesnt need to be centered or flush, just making the air move. Also some how get some fans behind the cards around the south bridge area, same thing, make them fit (another part of my rig which is too hot) Some one else made this suggestion and I totally agree, the fans will make a difference and unless you have a see through case with pretty lights who really cares.

The other thing that i do is have my tower on its side, remember heat rises so the card underneath the other card is going to be cooking the one above it, if neither card has a card below it, well that must be better, right?

m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 18, 2010 1:54:42 PM

reccy said:
Shut up..

These cards have a max temp load of 105oc.. All cause they are in the 80's/90's doesnt mean they fail... Some might granted. Cant believe that nvidia would design a card to run hot, but when it does, they fail.. These cards have been designed and tested to run at these loads otherwise they wouldnt be on the market. Yes, some brands have reserached and produced a design to keep these cooler, but by no means a reference design card running at 80/90oc set to fail like you suggest.

You really think nvidia produce cards to fail?? :non: 

Narcissistic euro brat -.-

No one tells me to shut and gets away with it.

I am a collector and know more about gpus than most one here except for a few. It is not Nvidia that makes the damn cards and same for ATI. It is the third party manufacturers that in the end decide the final quality of the product and with this global economy on the rocks they are cutting corners more than ever. Like any one takes notice how the fiat monetary systems globally are failing and the dollar that makes up 60% of the total currency in circulation world wide is soon to be entirely worthless.
m
l
November 19, 2010 12:31:27 AM

nforce4max said:

I am a collector and know more about gpus than most one here except for a few. It is not Nvidia that makes the damn cards and same for ATI. It is the third party manufacturers that in the end decide the final quality of the product and with this global economy on the rocks they are cutting corners more than ever. Like any one takes notice how the fiat monetary systems globally are failing and the dollar that makes up 60% of the total currency in circulation world wide is soon to be entirely worthless.

Okay really...no need to get political here. My question was about how to deal with the heat my cards are making - not about the socio-economic issues the world is facing or anything like that. Not right well much I can do about it, I just want video cards that run cooler. The 80mm fan in front combined with the 120mm front fan is not really helping. I'm thinking of just setting the card on top of the video card on top and see how that does...the heat is just everywhere when I put my hand around the card and doesn't feel like it's dissipating much, it's all just hovering around the card. A more permanent solution would be a PCI slot cooler - assuming they make one that would work from above (Most seem to be designed for you to put them BELOW the card which is not possible).

I think I'll fiddle with these cards until Black Friday/Cyber Monday - if I see a great deal on something else I'll go for that and send these Zotacs a-packin'. If not, I think I may just return and buy a single GTX 460 that runs cooler and OC it (Again I come off two GTX 260's and I see that one 460 is nearly equal to that setup). On another note, I ran 3Dmark Vantage - my score was a lousy 19k something, why so bad? I have a stock clocked Core 2 Duo E8400 at 3 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 ram, Win 7 64-bit, and my dual GTX 460's. Other people seemed to be getting scores like 26,000 and 32,000 using Core i7 processors - is my CPU really that much of a bottleneck? I always thought a dual core was still perfectly sufficient since no games utilize quad cores yet. It claims I'm just under that 75% of PCs line. Is my setup really not any better than that, or is the Core i7 difference really why their 3Dmark Vantage score is so much higher than mine? Here's exactly what I got:

3DMark Score P19049 3DMarks
CPU Score 31073
Graphics Score 16873

Why is my graphics score SO bad!? Other people were getting a graphics Vantage score of 17k with ONE GTX 460 1 GB - and I have two!!! I just don't understand this - perpetually when I do 3Dmark testing my score never equals what other people claim to get. I want to know - WHY? What am I doing wrong? Are these people getting higher scores because they paid money for 3Dmark Vantage and I'm getting a crappier score because I used the trial edition? I just don't get it...
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 19, 2010 1:43:37 AM

I have the same board as you and Nvidia chipsets aren't the best I know but overclocking the cpu will help you out enough to bump up those scores a bit. If the other fans aren't working for worth a damn then you can try this as a last resort but I didn't like it. You can try to force feed air between them with a single 1U server fan but those are noisy as hell but do channel air well enough as well move it to make a difference. You can try something else with that spare 80mm fan. The pci slot fan is an option but you need to have room and without having proper room for air flow it won't work period.

I got this odd thing and it blow air up and is ok, its a shame that its power cable isn't longer or it would have been a little better.
m
l
November 19, 2010 7:03:47 AM

nforce4max said:

Here you go mate, you dropped your dummy...

:pt1cable:  :pt1cable: 
m
l
!