mooska

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
This computer I'm making is for my girlfriend who want's to raid on super high settings in WoW, but needs headroom for games in the near future like SW:TOR. It's about perfect, budget wise, but I wanted to know if any one part of this computer will bottleneck the performance on any of the other components. I've never built an AMD system either =/....

List below or you can just look at my wishlist on Amazon here: http://amzn.com/w/38K9ZATVVKNEJ

MoBo: Gigabyte AMD AM3 6 Core MotherBoard GA-880GM-UD2H

CPU: Phenom II X4 965 Black AM3 3.4Ghz 512KB 45NM 125W 4000MHZ

GPU: XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB DDR5 PCIE Graphics Card HD577AZNFC

Memory: Crucial CT2KIT25664BA13​39 4GB 2GBx2 240-pin PC3-10600 DIMM DDR3 Memory KIT

Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Power Supply

Hard drive: Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Blue SATA 7200 RPM 32 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive WD10EALS

Case: Antec Three Hundred Gaming Case External 3 X 5.25; Internal 6 X 3.5 2*Usb2.0

Thanks in advanced for any help. Being so new/rusty at this, I really do appreciate it.

Solution
Well, I build my PC about 11 months ago, so my knowledge is all old, but here's how I did the research:

1. Search wikipedia about the different AMD chipsets that motherboards have, to see which one has the features you're looking for. Start here: Comparison of AMD chipsets.

2. Find the major brands that build motherboards with the AMD chipset(s) you're interested in (an easy list is Asus, Asrock, Biostar, Gigabyte, and MSI), and go to their motherboard product pages to see what they're offering (for example, for Asus, click here--on the page that loads, click on "AM3" and it will show you the list of AMD chipsets that they have motherboards for).

3. Then (or simultaneously), for the motherboards that are sparking your...

Hastibe

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Looks good! No bottlenecks that I can see. A few thoughts/suggestions though:

- The motherboard you're getting has integrated graphics, if you're getting a video card, you shouldn't need the integrated graphics, and normally boards with integrated graphics are more expensive.

- Also, your board is a Micro ATX-size board; the case you're getting can fit a standard ATX-size board--are you sure you want a micro ATX board?

- Your board supports SATA 3.0 GB/s, make sure your hard drive does, too!

- Check Newegg.com for cheaper prices (for instance, you can get your motherboard for only $90 on Newegg), as well as Superbiiz.com (especially for RAM prices).

Hastibe

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Well, I build my PC about 11 months ago, so my knowledge is all old, but here's how I did the research:

1. Search wikipedia about the different AMD chipsets that motherboards have, to see which one has the features you're looking for. Start here: Comparison of AMD chipsets.

2. Find the major brands that build motherboards with the AMD chipset(s) you're interested in (an easy list is Asus, Asrock, Biostar, Gigabyte, and MSI), and go to their motherboard product pages to see what they're offering (for example, for Asus, click here--on the page that loads, click on "AM3" and it will show you the list of AMD chipsets that they have motherboards for).

3. Then (or simultaneously), for the motherboards that are sparking your interest, search Newegg and Amazon (or Google Shopping) for prices.

4. Compare prices and features of the motherboards with the chipset you want, and decide what to get! :)

Solution