SATA Dual HD setup, boot problem on one

revan1013

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Hi all.

First time poster, long time watcher.

I have two SATA Drives on my custom-built "I Buy Power" computer. I've had it for about a year now, and it's been running just fine.

I woke up this morning and I got the dreaded "Disk Boot Failure" message in BIOS. I opened up the comp, cleaned out the cables and connections, and went into BIOS and changed the boot order from the one assigned to C:/ to the one assigned to D:/ . This worked upon startup, and I'm now scanning for disk failures through the Win 7 64-bit tool.

I also turned off SMART previously.

What can I do? What kind of problem do I have? Is there a command I can run in BIOS or in the console that can rebuild my boot profile on my first HD? I can access data just fine on it when the other drive does the boot.

I'm not terribly knowledgeable on this , so please spell it out Barney-style for me if there are a particular set of commands I should follow.

Thank you so much.

Solution
Hard drives fail. You are 99% ahead of the curve because you have backups. If you do image backups, you can restore the entire OS to the new drive and just boot (in most cases).

How to prevent a failed drive? Well, you can't. You can reduce the chance of a surprise by re-enabling SMART and checking it frequently - it's supposed to tell you when a disk is developing problems. You can reduce the pain by doing backups. You can buy more expensive enterprise-grade drives that have longer MTBF.

revan1013

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Update:

Removed faulty HD. Looks like it was clicking, so I removed it. I was lucky to backup my other files, but I had to reinstall Win 7 64-bit on my other drive.

Still, any idea how I can prevent this from occurring again?

Hard drives fail. You are 99% ahead of the curve because you have backups. If you do image backups, you can restore the entire OS to the new drive and just boot (in most cases).

How to prevent a failed drive? Well, you can't. You can reduce the chance of a surprise by re-enabling SMART and checking it frequently - it's supposed to tell you when a disk is developing problems. You can reduce the pain by doing backups. You can buy more expensive enterprise-grade drives that have longer MTBF.

Solution

revan1013

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Thanks WyomingKnott, I'll re-enable SMART. Didn't warn me about the last drive though, dunno if it'll help too much for prevention if this one fails. Good thing I also have externals!