Why is my router accessible if you type the ip address that my internet service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
I have a linksys router that I installed the DD-WRT firmware. The control panel for my router is 192.168.1.1. If I type this address it will take me to the control panel. Today I noticed that if I type the IP address that my internet service provider gave me, that this control panel will also come up. Can anyone please tell me since I am accessing this ip address through my network, is this ip address viewable to me because it is on my network or can anyone online can see it. I am concerned because if anyone can access the control panel online, they can change the settings if they figure out the password and username. Thank you in advance.

G

It seems highly unlikely that anyone could access your router in the way described.

Are you sure it's not just another Linksys router that you're accessing ? Check things like the wireless SSID in the setup pages, for example.

In fact I'm a bit confused, clarify whether you are using wireless and whether you have wireless security turned on.

You can actually setup your router for remote connection. Check through the documentation or settings and you will find something called "remote management" or something similar.

What that does is allow you to do exactly what's happening. Shut off that option if you don't want to use it. It should be off by default, you may have turned it on when looking around the router config maybe.

This is NOT a problem, so there’s no need to worry. The router is behaving normally. The fact your router is addressable via its public IP does NOT necessarily mean its remote administrative interface is open and accessible to the Internet at large.

Your router always has two IP addresses by which is can be addressed; the public IP (assigned to the WAN) and the local IP. It has to, it’s a router, it straddles both networks and routes between them. The mistake by the OP is assuming the mere fact someone uses the public IP indicates the direction of access. It doesn’t. That’s determined by the router by examining the IP address of the device that’s attempting to access it! If it’s a local IP address (i.e., behind the router), access is always permitted (assuming a valid logon is provided). If it’s a public IP address, access is denied (by default) unless remote administration is enabled (again, assuming a valid login is provided). IOW, it’s the originating IP address that’s determinative, not the destination IP address.

Based on this knowledge, it should now makes sense why there’s no way to determine if your router is remotely accessible short of actually attempting access from the Internet side of the WAN. The router is perfectly happy to allow anyone w/ a local IP address to access it, regardless whether they specify its local or public IP. However, go to a friend’s house and have the router see your public IP address, and it’s a different story. Now it refuses (unless you’ve enabled remote administration).

After everything that's been said, if it were my router, I'd still want to go in and change the admininstrator password and the wireless security key - just in case.

Bobbym007

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015

Thanks your explanation was easy to see thanks for clarity as I had exact same question and already responded as you recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.