Sign in with
Your question

Sabertooth X58 not detecting sata drives in bios

Last response: in Motherboards
December 17, 2011 6:47:42 PM

Hey guys when I boot into the bios v.1304 and look on the main screen there is no sata drives detected... But the computer still boots fine and everything im on it right now... I'm just curious why it doesnt show up it is a caviar black 1tb 6gb/s drive.. what do you guys think ?
a c 176 V Motherboard
December 18, 2011 2:06:06 AM

If you have it plugged into the sata 3 port then you will not see it in the main screen , you will have to go into the sata 3 screen to see the drive , that is under another tab in the bios should be something like intergrated perihpials or advanaced menu under AHCI configuration if you have enabled AHCI.
December 18, 2011 2:09:20 AM

would it be better to have ahci enabled because im not overly liking the speed of the cavar black at the moment it just has some lag that I fell shouldnt be there..,. And im pretty sure its comming form there.
Related resources
a c 176 V Motherboard
December 18, 2011 3:22:36 AM

Once you have the operating system installed you can't enable AHCI or else it will corrupt the OS. There is a registry fix that can be done but I don't know it and I have heard that it works no problem.
December 18, 2011 8:41:22 PM

Alright if I do do a fresh install what are some of the advantages of AHCI ? or advantages that can happen... I will hopefully soon be getting an ssd I was thinking the crucial m4 what do you guys think ? thanks
a c 176 V Motherboard
December 18, 2011 8:52:10 PM

If you do the fresh install then by all means at that time change to AHCI , especialy if you plan on getting a SSD since the SSD will run a lot better with AHCI enabled. A lot of people like the Crucial M4 but for pure speed the Corsair Force GT is just about the fastest. What size where you thinking of getting and what is your budget?
December 18, 2011 8:55:47 PM

well I was wating at least someting in the 100+ Gb range for around 200 bucks 230 max... I'm looking more or less for stability and that kind of stuff seeing as it will already be 4 times faster lol ... thanks
a c 176 V Motherboard
December 19, 2011 4:03:14 AM

Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F120GBGT-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$199.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I like the Corsair Force GT and have three of the 180gb with two of them in raid and they are really fast. The 120gb would be a good choice to go with.
December 19, 2011 10:45:15 AM

a lot of people like the Crucial M4 but for pure speed the Corsair Force GT is just about the fastest.
December 19, 2011 9:30:56 PM

alright that one looks equally as good is it really stale and stuff like that ? thats all im worried about im not the best when it come to tinkering with stuff... but im learning haha I do like corsair products tho ! they seem really good.. and if i wait for lets say another 4-6 month will the prices have dropped or do u think the prices that are there are here to stay for a while?
December 20, 2011 6:47:57 AM

especialy if you plan on getting a SSD since the SSD will run a lot better with AHCI enabled.
a c 328 V Motherboard
December 20, 2011 9:21:55 AM

Advantage of AHCI

Hot-Plugging (will not cover here as it will not affect computer performance)
Native Command Queuing (might improve computer/system/hard disk responsiveness, espcially in multi-tasking environment

a c 328 V Motherboard
December 20, 2011 9:24:12 AM

Convert from IDE to AHCI

Open Registry Editor and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msahci.

Right click on the Start registry DWORD and select Modify.

Set the value to 0 and click OK.

Now the Start setting should be set to 0.

Reboot and enable the AHCI setting in your BIOS.

=============
http://tweaks.com/windows/44119/improve-sata-hard-disk-...
December 20, 2011 5:41:36 PM

alright im just worried if something goes wrong there so it might be better to leave it on ide for the time being then do a fresh install on ahci when I get the ssd
a c 176 V Motherboard
December 21, 2011 2:24:58 AM

jaco501 said:
alright im just worried if something goes wrong there so it might be better to leave it on ide for the time being then do a fresh install on ahci when I get the ssd

You can do that if you want , and about the prices of the SSD's , if you check in with Newegg often you will notice that the prices do fluctuate up and down and there are rebates offered occasionaly so by paying attention to the SSD that you want you can track the price and offers and end up with a good deal. That's what I do.
!