Sabertooth X58 not detecting sata drives in bios

jaco501

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Hey guys when I boot into the bios v.1304 and look on the main screen there is no sata drives detected... But the computer still boots fine and everything im on it right now... I'm just curious why it doesnt show up it is a caviar black 1tb 6gb/s drive.. what do you guys think ?

If you have it plugged into the sata 3 port then you will not see it in the main screen , you will have to go into the sata 3 screen to see the drive , that is under another tab in the bios should be something like intergrated perihpials or advanaced menu under AHCI configuration if you have enabled AHCI.

jaco501

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
would it be better to have ahci enabled because im not overly liking the speed of the cavar black at the moment it just has some lag that I fell shouldnt be there..,. And im pretty sure its comming form there.

jaco501

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Alright if I do do a fresh install what are some of the advantages of AHCI ? or advantages that can happen... I will hopefully soon be getting an ssd I was thinking the crucial m4 what do you guys think ? thanks

If you do the fresh install then by all means at that time change to AHCI , especialy if you plan on getting a SSD since the SSD will run a lot better with AHCI enabled. A lot of people like the Crucial M4 but for pure speed the Corsair Force GT is just about the fastest. What size where you thinking of getting and what is your budget?

jaco501

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
well I was wating at least someting in the 100+ Gb range for around 200 bucks 230 max... I'm looking more or less for stability and that kind of stuff seeing as it will already be 4 times faster lol ... thanks

lafings

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
a lot of people like the Crucial M4 but for pure speed the Corsair Force GT is just about the fastest.
g.php

jaco501

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
alright that one looks equally as good is it really stale and stuff like that ? thats all im worried about im not the best when it come to tinkering with stuff... but im learning haha I do like corsair products tho ! they seem really good.. and if i wait for lets say another 4-6 month will the prices have dropped or do u think the prices that are there are here to stay for a while?

Convert from IDE to AHCI

Open Registry Editor and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msahci.

Right click on the Start registry DWORD and select Modify.

Set the value to 0 and click OK.

Now the Start setting should be set to 0.

Reboot and enable the AHCI setting in your BIOS.

=============
http://tweaks.com/windows/44119/improve-sata-hard-disk-performance-convert-from-ide-to-ahci/

You can do that if you want , and about the prices of the SSD's , if you check in with Newegg often you will notice that the prices do fluctuate up and down and there are rebates offered occasionaly so by paying attention to the SSD that you want you can track the price and offers and end up with a good deal. That's what I do.