Sign in with
Your question
Closed

$1500 - $2500 Gaming PC + Please leave some good advise for my build..

Last response: in Systems
January 16, 2011 4:59:26 PM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Approximate Purchase Date: this week !

Budget Range: $1500 - $2500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, video&photo editing, surfing the internet, watching movies

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the future...

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Hello,

I new to this forum, been reading alot from here, i need some feedback on the hardware that i've in mind for my new gaming rig, probably i will purchase it by this week. I'm upgrading from P4(2002), so i'm totally exited about this new build. Please do leave some feedback coz i would appreciate it alot, thank you.

1. Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost)

a. CORSAIR Hydro H70 CWCH70 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler

b. Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler

c. Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

2. ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME LGA 1155 Intel P67

3. EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi)

4. COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower

5. CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W

6. CORSAIR DOMINATOR 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

7. Logitech G35 USB 2.0 Connector Surround Sound Headset

10. Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

For the cpu cooler, can u suggest me which one is the best to suit my system on this rig, i'm totally open to any suggestions on the hardware, but please tell me why the hardware is more suitable for my build...

Thank You.

January 17, 2011 7:07:02 PM

Regarding the CPU cooling, I've been considering both options (liquid vs air) myself. Your options b) and c) are probably the best you can get on air cooling, while a) is probably more expensive (albeit less noisy) for a similar result.

Although the GTX 580 runs pretty hot, considering you will only have 1 card and 1 hard drive, you shouldn't have many temperature issues, even if you overclock the CPU, especially with such a massive case. I'd go for the air cooling (either option b or c).

The main source of noise here is probably going to be the GPU anyway!

Just my opinion, of course :) 
Score

Best solution

January 17, 2011 8:13:17 PM

Okay a lot of suggestions here

CPU cooler -- I have no idea how high you want your overclock to be but if it's less than 5ghz use the scmg-2100 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If planning to go for like 5.2ghz I would recommend the promlitech with two of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... these are pretty noisy and there are silent options as well but none will cool as well as these ones

Mobo -- This is not the best premium mobo out there and even at your budget you shouldn't be looking at premium mobos, only if planning tri - SLI (which has a lot of problems on P67) get the asus p8p67 pro with your CPU in a combo http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

GPU -- this is way overkill for this resolution get the GTX 570 superclocked instead http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU -- the hx850w is a solid psu but the xfx 850w is the same quality and is cheaper http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (the squealing issue isn't as common as the reviews would make you think but if it does squeal just RMA it xfx has great customer support) read the johnnyguru review

RAM -- ripjaws x is great and cheap http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... you could probably run this at cas 8 if you push it with 1.65v remember SB isn't too reliant on the RAM for overclocking

Headset -- Don't know much about this area

HDD -- the WD caviar black isn't as fast as this samsung and is more expensive than it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Great price right now might want to pick up two for RAID

SSD -- At this budget an SSD is essential, I wouldn't buy it now but when the sf-2000 controller is released buy the biggest you can afford ocz vertex 3 pro looks great

If you take all my suggestions you will save quite a bit of money use that extra cash to save up for future upgrades I wouldn't spend more than 2000 on an air-cooled system today

Related resources
January 18, 2011 10:46:04 AM

Hi,

Thanks Elbereth and joelmartinez for spending some time and give some good suggestions on my build... run air cooling + mid oc and it would be good if i can save more...

Now i'm still doing some comparison between the hardware, whether to go all out or just build a decent gaming rig so that i can have a decent fps in games...
Score
January 18, 2011 2:59:04 PM

joelmartinez said:
The antec df-85 is the same caliber as the haf x and is on sale at newegg right now for 140AR http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Later get a side fan to aid cooling even running the case with stock cooling will get you some cool (pun intended) results

Hi Joel,

The Antec df-85 that u recommend is nice too, but for the design i would prefer the haf x better, other than that i like the corsair 600T, the only down side on that casing is it doesnt have the see-tru side window. while the new white 600T is awesome, but i dont know when will it be available.

About the mb, why do u recommend me the p8p67 pro instead of the deluxe? the Gigabyte P67A-UD7 seems good also, as for the budget i can spend more than $2k so dont worry about the budget. i need suggestions to get the right combination of hardware for the build. i will oc my procs but not 5.0mhz for 24/7, 4.6 to 4.8 should be ok for me.

GPU-sli/cf, maybe i will add another gtx 580 soc when the price drops but if i still can max out all the games with just one card than i will stick with it. The gtx 570 soc that u recommend me is as good as the 6970 but slightly better. At first i was thinking to get cf for the 6970, but when i read the reviews cf 6970 just have a slight numbers on the gtx 580 soc, so instead of getting 2 of those i've decided to get 1 gtx 580 soc first, later when i need to upgrade i'll just add one more.

While as for the rams, this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168..., is this better than the dominator or ripjaws x?

Thanks !

Score
January 18, 2011 3:09:23 PM

Hi Joel,

Forgot about the cpu cooler, does the Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler or
Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler fit to the mb, will it block the rams? m4e/p8p67 pro/deluxe/gigabyte p67a-ud7...
Score
January 18, 2011 3:30:19 PM

When you see the new UEFI BIOS screen for the first time in person, you'll drop your jaws. It's taken like decades for BIOS to advance to graphics. I'm running a 2500K gaming rig and loving it. I don't do video encoding anymore so I don't know how much of a difference it is between i5 750 & 2500K. My upgrade is mainly for gaming & mundane tasks. Especially RTS & GTA4.

Funny I'm holding the same liquid cooler bought for a buddy for his i5 750. I'm using the stock cooler in my pc. If you don't overclock & you just want turboboast, the stock cooler is ok. Given your budget, I'd go for the H70 hands down. In terms of overclocking, the sky is the limit.

If you're going all out on a new build, you should get a ssd or you're living in 1978 in terms of disk access speed. You won't understand what I'm saying until you've personally seen it in action. I don't have that kind of money to blow around, or else I'd have gone that route.
Score
January 18, 2011 9:24:09 PM

I don't understand why you prefer the df-85 to the HAF X, I have seen both in person and the df-85 looks very nice, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder but money certainly isn't. The reason I'm having you save money now is because later you're gonna want it for upgrades.

for mobo the p8p67 pro has the most features you really need the deluxe is more because of a couple marketing gimmicks if going for the top premium mobo (I have a thread about this) the evga classified p67 which has not been released yet will likely be the best.

you will not need a 580 for 1920 x 1200 a 570 will max it all out, add another once they are liquidated for the new series.

RAM the vengeance is a good series and those are good timings but the high profile may conflict with the cooler, the ripjaws x will not and you won't be able to notice a difference in real world performance.

As for the suggestion of the H70 that is a good beginning water solution but the megahalems with dual kazes will outperform it and be easier to maintain, dual gentletyphoons will match it.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
January 18, 2011 11:55:57 PM

http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore

The H70 isn't as quiet as most people think it is, it is actually louder than a 45 dBA. Another thing is the 570 is a great card, you could also use a 6950 if you wanted. Put the 6950's dual bios to use and flash to a 6970. 50$ cheaper (US wise) than the 570 for a little better performance.

Memory timings as Joel has said don't really matter until benchmark perf. Personally I think the Phantom or HAF X will do. The DF series is just changed up Antec 900s and 1200s. I would rather get an Antec 1200 tbh, I think the DF's aesthetically don't look as nice as the 1200.
Score
January 19, 2011 12:35:25 AM

The reason I recommend the 570 over the 6950 is drivers (nvidia is better) and heat an unlocked 6950 can run real hot, that's why it was binned as a 6950 and not a 6970.

For case, I like the look of the DF-85 and it is a great case read the reviews it runs cool. If you must go with the HAF X or Phantom (make sure to add fans on phantom) but the DF-85 is a better deal
Score
a b 4 Gaming
January 19, 2011 12:38:49 AM

Oh I just remembered he was going to buy this week, If you were to wait, I would've suggested waiting until non-reference 6950's to come out, but that's not really an option.

The Phantom already has 5 fans on it I believe. Two side, two top, one on the back and one in the front.
Score
January 19, 2011 12:42:36 AM

OCC review: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nzxt_phantom/6....

Quote:
Cons:
Finish fingerprints easily
Temperatures not the greatest, adding fans would most likely fix this
Cutout for heatsink access hole may not work on all motherboards

As i said before added fans would aid the temps, I still hold by me recommendation for the df-85 though due to its cheap price and good performance as well as nice extras
Score
January 19, 2011 3:52:40 AM

Thanks guys for all of the suggestions and feedback, u guys really have some good opinions and advise, that really give me so many ideas for the build... btw i'm in no rush to buy this rig, so u guys can suggestions me on the hardware that is coming out soon also... a week or two i still can wait...

Btw joel, when will the evga classified p67 be available? if this mobo seriously good as u say, i'm willing to wait for a week or two, but if its not than i just go with the p8p67 pro/deluxe...

Deos the evga gtx 570 soc seriously can max out on 1920x1200 for most of the games right now such as crysis, mafia2, sc2, masseffect2? i need some confirmation b4 deciding on this coz i have the budget to get the evga gtx580 soc. but if the 570 soc can handle it, i can spend the extra money on other hardware.

i've a problem here with the rams, my supplier here dont have gskill rams, they only have corsair, kingston and mushkin. thats why i was going for corsair between this four which will u recommend http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...|20-145-330^20-145-330-TS%2C20-233-144^20-233-144-TS%2C20-145-313^20-145-313-TS%2C20-233-147^20-233-147-TS
Score
January 19, 2011 4:00:20 AM

Hi,

Anyone have any experience on headset need some recommendation for that as well, there are a few that i'm interested with such as the roccat kave,logitech G35. Mostly i will use it for gaming and watch movies/tv series. i'm open to any suggestions...

Thanks !
Score
January 19, 2011 4:38:18 AM

I recently purchased the G35 for $80 on Amazon and love it. Really good sound quality. They're a bit tight on my head, but I have a big head haha. The only thing I'm concerned with is the mic noise cancellation. When testing it with the software it tends to pick up quiet sounds like key presses and mouse clicks. The workaround I did was to set Teamspeak to voice activation and played with the settings until it only picked up my voice in a normal speaking tone. If you're only using these for single player then I highly recommend them, but they work great for multiplayer also once you have the mic situation fixed.
Score
January 19, 2011 9:12:26 AM

jasonwf said:
I recently purchased the G35 for $80 on Amazon and love it. Really good sound quality. They're a bit tight on my head, but I have a big head haha. The only thing I'm concerned with is the mic noise cancellation. When testing it with the software it tends to pick up quiet sounds like key presses and mouse clicks. The workaround I did was to set Teamspeak to voice activation and played with the settings until it only picked up my voice in a normal speaking tone. If you're only using these for single player then I highly recommend them, but they work great for multiplayer also once you have the mic situation fixed.

Thanks jason for the info on the G35 headset, yeah i've read somewhere b4 about the mic issues, but overall most of the reviews says that it was a small problem yet to be solved. i like the G35 design if compare it with other headsets, but the reviews on it is like some ppl like it but some does not, i mean the sound quality.
Score
January 19, 2011 10:22:42 AM

Sorry i dont want to read. But if your after a fantastic headset then the Turtlebeaches are great, namely that of the Turtlebeaches Ear Force PX21's

Cheap, comfortable, reliable and excellent sound quality.
Score
January 19, 2011 6:50:23 PM

Out of the RAMs you posted I would recommend the sold out vengeances corsair if those don't come in stock soon then purchase the other vengeances, the first ones are good for what you need.

Evga p67 classified Not sure when the release date is a quick google research didn't uproot the date, EVGA isn't letting on as far as i know, the p8p67 pro is a great choice

I will try to find more information regarding the p67 classified :D 
Score
January 19, 2011 7:04:48 PM

It seems the evga p67 classified is due out in mid-February, go with the p8p67 pro
Score
January 20, 2011 2:35:21 AM

Thanks everyone for giving me some feedback on my build, especially joel... you really help me alot along the way... now i'm totally ready to purchase this build, coz i cant wait to try games on the build, lately been playing games on my xps m1530 and its getting old, i cant stand the mid-low(most of the game is low) setting anymore, maybe gonna take a few days off just to play with it,hehe....
Score
January 20, 2011 2:35:55 AM

Best answer selected by sauzavr4.
Score
January 20, 2011 10:12:10 AM

I hope you see this before you buy, since I'm building a system quite similar to yours (look at my config under "more information", below my avatar) and have just found some new info.

I just found out some people are having problems with the P8P67 motherboards, big CPU coolers, such as the Noctua, and Corsair Vengeance RAM, since the RAM slots will partly be covered by the heatsink and one of the fans of the cooler, and the Vengeance modules are a bit tall due to the built in heatsinks.

This motherboard only has 1 conector for the CPU fans, and it's a 3 pin connector. The Noctua fans are 4 pin, so the current ASUS BIOS can't control the cooler fan speed and sets it to maximum all the time. Your case fans should be louder, so noisewise you shouldn't be able to tell the difference, but it's a waste of energy. More importantly, since there is just one connector, you will need something like this if you want to connect both fans to the mobo:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB...
This cable also converts the 4-pin into 3-pin, so the moherboard will be able to control the fan speeds. There are other solutions, look through the motherboard/cooler forums or the ASUS forums, but I think this is the best one.

Regarding the case, do look at some video reviews on youtube. I was going for the HAF-X, then decided I like the 600t better (it looks more solid, and I like simple looks). What I didn't like about the DF-85 was the plastic latches covering the optical bays. The 600t has no side window, but I think you can already find some places where they sell mods for this case. Since I will be keeping the PC next to the TV, I like it without windows, and will probably disable the LEDs too.

I will assemble my new rig this Saturday, so by early next week I will have more info on all of these.

Let us know how it goes!! :) 
Score
January 20, 2011 1:19:43 PM

Elbereth said:
I hope you see this before you buy, since I'm building a system quite similar to yours (look at my config under "more information", below my avatar) and have just found some new info.

I just found out some people are having problems with the P8P67 motherboards, big CPU coolers, such as the Noctua, and Corsair Vengeance RAM, since the RAM slots will partly be covered by the heatsink and one of the fans of the cooler, and the Vengeance modules are a bit tall due to the built in heatsinks.

This motherboard only has 1 conector for the CPU fans, and it's a 3 pin connector. The Noctua fans are 4 pin, so the current ASUS BIOS can't control the cooler fan speed and sets it to maximum all the time. Your case fans should be louder, so noisewise you shouldn't be able to tell the difference, but it's a waste of energy. More importantly, since there is just one connector, you will need something like this if you want to connect both fans to the mobo:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB...
This cable also converts the 4-pin into 3-pin, so the moherboard will be able to control the fan speeds. There are other solutions, look through the motherboard/cooler forums or the ASUS forums, but I think this is the best one.

Regarding the case, do look at some video reviews on youtube. I was going for the HAF-X, then decided I like the 600t better (it looks more solid, and I like simple looks). What I didn't like about the DF-85 was the plastic latches covering the optical bays. The 600t has no side window, but I think you can already find some places where they sell mods for this case. Since I will be keeping the PC next to the TV, I like it without windows, and will probably disable the LEDs too.

I will assemble my new rig this Saturday, so by early next week I will have more info on all of these.

Let us know how it goes!! :) 

Thanks Elbereth for the info, yes on other forum ppl was complaining about the problem also, the tight space with noctua as a cooler, maybe i'll just go with the H70 better but i'm still surveying for the best option at the moment, this go the same for my mobo, my best 4 options is the p8p67pro/deluxe, m4e and gigabyte ud7. The new white 600T is really nice, if i can get it from my supplier i will get that instead of the hf-x.

Yes i will update on my rig later, dont forget to update me your build as well...
Score
January 20, 2011 8:07:52 PM

Your welcome have fun :D 
Score
a b 4 Gaming
January 21, 2011 7:21:48 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!