Still a little hazy

divinedragon

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
Before I begin, let me preface this by hoping there's a couple slick pros out there who can shed some light on this. I'm new here, but everyone starts somewhere.

*****Skip this if you don't need to know how I arrived here*****

After many months of frustration over any lack of control over my rig, my fantasizing over computer components needs to be sated. I felt it's time to finally upgrade to something a bit beefier from a cheaper pre-built system, to one I can control the type and quality of components going into my system.
My current rig isn't terrible by any means, but I'm finding out around every turn how stuck I am with it. It's a pre-built HP system that, at the time, I got at such a steal on I couldn't resist. Although it has it's many shortfalls, it still does the job relatively well. (it can almost play crysis 2 on extreme)
My main frustrations have come from the gaming end, but also from use of Adobe software. Every time I want to render video on Adobe I want to throw my computer out the window because of how long it takes. Another thing I find is that I get a bottleneck between my processor and CPU because of a terrible motherboard when trying to find optimal gaming settings. (ZERO ability to overclock anything)

Here is where I get confused. After reading an article on the sight comparing CPUs I was surprised to find that a i7 2600k was only slightly better than it's little i5-2500k brother. That didn't make a lot of sense to me as that wouldn't justify the $100 difference (but what do I know, right?) Of course there are differences, but as far as processing power, I got the impression it was better to go for the i5, and put the money I saved towards something else.
Here's my snag. Will adding in Adobe software make the decision easier as I like to dabble in it quite frequently? Maybe I'm off my rocker completely as rendering utilizes the RAM and has little to do with the CPU. Is there a magic combination of CPU and RAM timings for this kind of performance? What say ye?

Solution

That is a decision only you can make

Is the 100 dollars worth the increased performance?

Kinda of hard not knowing your HP specs to judge also

Plus I would rather spend the money on a cpu in the beginning and upgrade something elso (video card)
later

also if you are playing Crysis 2 with current system then you must have a reasonable video card in the HP tower
use that for now in the new system and spend the extra on the 2600k

in the long run the 2600k is going to be more "Future Proof" (that is such an overused phrase but it applies here)

software development is...

majin ssj eric

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Any kind of video rendering will greatly improve using the 2600k's 4 additional threads over the 2500k. If your usage is just gaming the i5 is the obvious choice, but if rendering times are important to you I'd say go for the i7.....

That is a decision only you can make

Is the 100 dollars worth the increased performance?

Kinda of hard not knowing your HP specs to judge also

Plus I would rather spend the money on a cpu in the beginning and upgrade something elso (video card)
later

also if you are playing Crysis 2 with current system then you must have a reasonable video card in the HP tower
use that for now in the new system and spend the extra on the 2600k

in the long run the 2600k is going to be more "Future Proof" (that is such an overused phrase but it applies here)

software development is already getting more and more multithreaded so more cores the better

Solution

divinedragon

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
@ king - I was definitely trying to make sure I was set for a while, and a main reason I wanted to get the 2600k. I just wasn't able to understand the main advantages of choosing the more expensive over the other.

Right now as it sits, I'll be upgrading everything piece by piece, but I plan on getting the main core essentials all arty once, and carry over the things that are still viable. I need a case, MB, new ram to go with it, processor, and psu to feed then all. I feel better about investing into the 2600k for overclocking and longevity now. The case and MB is for a different topic.

Thank you for selecting me as Best Answer
I hope I helped

the 2600k even in everyday applications (browsing,gaming,multimedia)
will be better when you are running many programs at once (multitasking) due to having
more cores

programs create processes and processes create threads

windows 7 which is a multicore aware OS at any time has an average
of 500 threads or more running

so being able to handle more threads is always advantageous

even when the extra cores are HyperThreading cores it gives
the ability to process more during a given cpu cycle