Your question

New computer

Tags:
  • Cyberpower
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 16, 2011 5:41:21 PM

I know I am crazy but I need some help from the smarter than me group. I just purchased a computer from Walmart, which I know is crazy, for cheap. The system is an inexpensive 600 dollar system CyberpowerPC Gamer Xtreme i107 Desktop PC with Intel Core i3 530 Processor, Windows 7 Home Premium. The specs are very basic and the GPU is integrated, which from what I have read from reviews is not a horrible graphics setup for gaming like WoW. What I want to know is if I want to upgrade the graphics and put in a card what card should I use? Also is this system expandable to the point where I could piece-meal it into a better system? Thank you for your help.

More about : computer

January 17, 2011 5:10:29 PM

How much are you looking to spend? Chances are that the prebuilt will not be very expandable. You'll see how many PCIe 2.0 16x slots there are and how many expansion slots are open in the case. The easiest way to do this is to find out the model number of the motherboard (PCIe slots) and look at the back of the case for removable strips beneath the USB/internet ports. Or you could open up the case and compare the how the slots look to any current motherboard through Newegg.com's prictures.

Another problem is likely to be the PSU or power supply. Prebuilts often come with the bare minimum required to run the machine. See if you can find a model number or at least a maximum wattage provided on the unit being used. You'll also need to compare it's dimensions or the case's PSU mounting dimensions to see if you can replace it. You'll also need to check the board for what type of power connector it uses. It'll be the largest plug in the board, usually on the right side of the board, beneath the RAM slots. Finally, if you've found the PSU wattage, and it's more than 400W (the basic minimum for a discrete GPU worth buying), you need to see how many extra PCIe cords are open. Again, look at the pictures on Newegg to see what you're looking for.

Once you've checked that out, come back with what you want to spend. If you've got around $200, you can still get a great GPU, even if you need to replace the PSU.
m
l
January 24, 2011 3:39:45 PM

MadAdmiral said:
How much are you looking to spend? Chances are that the prebuilt will not be very expandable. You'll see how many PCIe 2.0 16x slots there are and how many expansion slots are open in the case. The easiest way to do this is to find out the model number of the motherboard (PCIe slots) and look at the back of the case for removable strips beneath the USB/internet ports. Or you could open up the case and compare the how the slots look to any current motherboard through Newegg.com's prictures.

Another problem is likely to be the PSU or power supply. Prebuilts often come with the bare minimum required to run the machine. See if you can find a model number or at least a maximum wattage provided on the unit being used. You'll also need to compare it's dimensions or the case's PSU mounting dimensions to see if you can replace it. You'll also need to check the board for what type of power connector it uses. It'll be the largest plug in the board, usually on the right side of the board, beneath the RAM slots. Finally, if you've found the PSU wattage, and it's more than 400W (the basic minimum for a discrete GPU worth buying), you need to see how many extra PCIe cords are open. Again, look at the pictures on Newegg to see what you're looking for.

Once you've checked that out, come back with what you want to spend. If you've got around $200, you can still get a great GPU, even if you need to replace the PSU.

I did not see this before I bought a card. I did end up purchasing a GTX460 before I got my box. The PSU is a 500w but when I tried to install the card I realized after I seated the card that I had no power connections.The card required two, i beleive, 6 point plugs in the back and I had no power at all for the card. I sent the card back but I am still left with integrated graphics and in need of more. Any thoughts?
m
l
January 24, 2011 4:03:49 PM

What extra PSU plugs did you have? Again, how much are you looking to spend?

Here's your two options:

#1: If the current PSU has at least 4 molex (4 pin connectors, same as the power going to the HDD/optical drive), you can buy two 4 pin to 6 pin adapters. That would allow you to power any GPU that need 2x6 pin connectors.

#2: Buy a new PSU with a new GPU. The Antec Earthwatts 500W is only $50, and is a high quality PSU that would power all low end GPUs and most mid range GPUs. I'd guess that anything under the HD 6850 would be feasible.
m
l
!