Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
January 16, 2011 5:43:14 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Next month or two

Budget Range: ~1000 Before / After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming. New and future MMOs (Rift, Star Wars, etc)

Parts Not Required: Monitor, keyboard, mouse. Have Altec 900 case

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Microcenter/Newegg

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: Don't like ATI. Like GeForce.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution:1920x1080, 1920x1200

Additional Comments: Like it silent. Haven't built a computer in a few years but gathered stuff from these forums. Would like to see if there is any conflicts with hardware (mobo/ram/gpu)

CPU - 2500k
MOBO - Gygabyte GA-P67A, or possibly the ASUS P67 / PRO?
HD - Spinpoint 1TB F3
RAM - G.SKill Ripjaws X Series (4GBXM - 7-8-7-24) - is this better than say 8GB of regular Ripjaw? X series worth it ?
PSU - Corsair 750w, XFX 850W - Think i'll always do single gfx card
GPU - Possibly Geforce 570 unless I do the new 560 thats coming out - waiting to see price. Since I am doing single gpu, should I definitely do 570/560 over the 470? That much of an upgrade?
HEATSINK - Scythe 2100 or CM Hyper 212
CASE - I have an older (2-3years) 900 series Altec case. Really dusty. Am I good with just cleaning out completely or should I look into a new case? Like a Coolermaster HAF 922.

Thank you all , was just curious if you think this system would be pro or not.

More about : fast cents 1000 gaming rig

January 16, 2011 6:05:37 PM

So with your systems I have a few things that I would change, the first being your choice of a hard drive, I'd throw a Western Digital in there because I'm a fanboy of WD but it's your personal choice. Now onto the Motherboard question I'd stick with the Gigabyte board, from what I'm reading and helping customers with the Asus P8P67 Pro, Regular and Deluxe models are all having massive issues with Rebooting and Memory compatibility.

As for your power supply I would go with the Corsair Model, I actually own the XFX 650w and it's a great power supply but for what you're describing a 750w would do fine for you. The choice you have for Video Cards is amazing, if I was given a choice right now I would pick between the AMD 6850, GTX 570 or the 6950, the GTX 560 is rumored to be launching around the 25th so you could wait until then but I'm not able to guarantee a particular date.

The only other comment I have is for your Heatsink choice, I enjoy the Hyper 212, I really do. The whole reason you'd want to buy a 2500k is to overclock, if you're not planning on overclocking save yourself some cash and just grab a 2500 (notice the lack of the K suffix).

If however you do plan to Overclock the Hyper 212 will be able to Overclock but it may not be able to reach as high as some of the results in a lot of benchmarks. If you have a bit more money you could look into a Corsair H50/H70 or if you prefer Air Cooling the best cooler I have seen would have to be the Spire Thermax Eclipse II which retails for around $49.99 - $59.99.

Hopefully this has helped you, the 2500K is an amazing processor, the machine you have posted will surely max any of the games you're playing at 1920 x 1200.
m
l
January 16, 2011 6:19:35 PM

Thanks so much for the lengthy answer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Is that something you'd recommended then? I am not into tweaking an OCing really so you think I'd be better off just getting the 2500 and not the K ? and if so the stock fan should be enough from what I hear...

I won't be purchasing for another month or so..so I will probably end up getting the 560. I hope the price is somewhere around 250-300...the 370$ price tag on the 570 is a little much. EVGA is what i've usually gotten with cards, along with BFG in the past. Usually gather my date from highest rating's on Newegg and read reviews, whats the top 3 manufacturers for cards out these days ?

m
l
Related resources
January 16, 2011 8:35:22 PM

+1 to xTalent's post, with the exception of the WD suggestion. WD simply doesn't offer any mechanical drive that is more compelling than the Spinpoint F3s.

8GB of RAM should be a standard recommendation atm. The X Series thing is a bit gimmicky anyway.

I assume you mean you have an Antec 900? It's a solid case; just stick with it. It's not a silent case, but you shouldn't spend another ~$100 just for that.
m
l
January 16, 2011 11:03:49 PM

Thanks blackjello!

Yeah Antec 900. Good case I just didn't know if it's something I should just upgrade over time..

The X does seem gimicky, I'll just get the 8GB - I'll be running W7 64 Pro.

Thanks for +1 on Spinpoint, seems the like the most consistent haha

m
l
!