Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What temps should a Radeon 5750 be running at?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Internet Explorer
  • Radeon
  • Fan Speed
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 17, 2010 8:05:15 AM

Hey all,

Just wondering what sort of temps a stock Gigabyte Radeon 5750 should be running at?
At max load (ie. when playing crysis at max settings etc) The card gets up to around the high 70's (celcius),
but lately while the card is just idle the temps have been averaging 57 degrees. Isnt this quite high just for being idle?

Oh and Ive never changed fan speed settings or overclocked it etc, but the fan speed is set at 37%
Should I be increasing the fan speed if its getting this hot while idle?

More about : temps radeon 5750 running

a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2010 8:19:00 AM

Ive searched google and found nothing about the highest temperature this card can handle, but people say there 5750 ranges under load from 70-77oc.

As a guess, i would say this card has a limit of around 85oc?? This being based on google comments and the such?

Even check ATI/AMD's website and nothing about temperatures. If no-one can give the definate answer, then suggest emailing ATI/AMD themselves just to confirm the top load temperatures of the card.
m
l
a c 190 U Graphics card
November 17, 2010 8:41:07 AM

Your card is really fine (70's C), don't worry about that, and no need to manually increase your fan speed, let it set to auto...
m
l
Related resources
a c 206 U Graphics card
November 17, 2010 2:56:11 PM

Make sure you have good airflow through your case. While those temps are safe, I don't think I've ever had a card run that hot.
m
l
November 17, 2010 9:48:56 PM

ok thanks for the info everyone. Dont you think 55 - 57 is a bit high for when the system is idle though?
m
l
November 17, 2010 11:25:42 PM

that is definitely high for idling, and fan speed 37% is pretty normal idle speed.

If you're confident, you could try reapplying the thermal paste to your heatsink and reinstalling it, but if your load temps aren't going much higher than 70C, I wouldn't really bother with it at all, as it's only really dangerous if it goes beyond the maximum thermal limits of the components.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2010 11:38:36 PM

What case are you using and what kind of airflow do you have through your case? My 5770 never gets aboves 70 °C OC at 935/1378, and it idles at around 42 °C. When I run at stock I idle at around 35 °C and at full load I barely hit 62 °C. I would say your temps are high, but I would think it is due to poor case air flow. Also for your card, do you have a blower design( it blows air outside the case) or an egg shaped fan. I have the latter on my card . Good case air flow should bring down temps with either type of fan, but would be more important for the egg shape fan blowers because if you have poor case air flow then it would just be trying to cool with the hot case air that is sitting stagnant in the case. Not the best idea to be only venting by natural convection with that much heat being dissipated in a case.
m
l
a c 190 U Graphics card
November 17, 2010 11:40:52 PM

My HD4850 idle at 59'C and goes up to 65'C full load (28'C ambient temp)...
Your temps are fine, buddy. ;p
m
l
November 20, 2010 12:04:13 AM

Thanks for the replys. I have just noticed that the GPU is averaging about 62'C now and all I have been doing for the past half hour is checking emails and reading forums. This seems rather ridiculous. I am also pretty sure I often used to see the GPU idle in the high 40's back when we first got the card installed.

Im not sure of what case I am using as my dad got someone to build the computer for us and there is no writing on it except for a barcode on the back but it is too small for my android phone to focus on. As far as fans, apart from the PSU, stock CPU and stock GPU fans there is only one exhaust fan on the back of the case.

Also heres a link to my video card: http://i.neoseeker.com/p/Hardware/Video/Video_Cards/Gam...
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2010 1:49:30 AM

RealityClash said:
Thanks for the replys. I have just noticed that the GPU is averaging about 62'C now and all I have been doing for the past half hour is checking emails and reading forums. This seems rather ridiculous. I am also pretty sure I often used to see the GPU idle in the high 40's back when we first got the card installed.

Im not sure of what case I am using as my dad got someone to build the computer for us and there is no writing on it except for a barcode on the back but it is too small for my android phone to focus on. As far as fans, apart from the PSU, stock CPU and stock GPU fans there is only one exhaust fan on the back of the case.

Also heres a link to my video card: http://i.neoseeker.com/p/Hardware/Video/Video_Cards/Gam...

Well now that you mention the card, seems you are not alone

This is taken from a newegg review

Quote:

Other Thoughts: I'm not sure if this is a con so I didn't put it in there. The temp idles at 56 Celsius, under max load the temp is 83 Celsius. It's probably normal and even though I have a well ventilated case I'm going to get an additional case fan.

I bought this card mainly because I thought it would go well with my GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P mother board. Also because it has Directx 11 and because it has cross fire meaning with the right mother that has 2x PCI-E 2.0 slots you can equip 2 cards and get double the performance.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

So your not the only ones, as long as your card stays stable, it shouldn't cause to much concern. My 5770 crashes if it gets above 84°C(I could only get that by overvolting it and overclocking it while stressing it on furmark).

A couple things you may want to try.
Play with your case open on its side, put a fan on it if you have one. This should determine if you are getting poor temps due to poor case temperature.
Another option would be to create a custom fan profile for your card with MSI afterburner( I highly recommend it, and it works for all cards, not just MSI).
Another thing you could try with MSI afterburner is to undervolt your card a little bit. This is assuming your card has voltage control like my XFX 5770 does. Just take it down 25-50 mA, have it do something demanding(like furmark, but be careful cause furmark would roast your card) or maybe just play a quick game to determine it is stable. If it crashes, don't worry, just reboot. If successful and stable, you should see temps drop at load a couple °C.

One last question, what MHZ does your card idle at, does it wind down while idle? For instance at stock with load on a 5770 it is at 850Mhz, but it winds down to 200Mhz while idle. If your card never reduces cycles, that could be one reason why it is higher than normal while idle.

Like someone else said, you can take off the heat sink and reaaply thermal paste, it may help, also while searching for issues with your card I found this on Tom's already. Basically says the same thing we have been saying, but more resources there for you to look at. Overall that card is warmer than other 5750, Bottom line, as long as your not crashing due to instability at high temperatures, your good. And even if you crash, as long as you shut off the machine/restart it your card is under no real danger. It is quite hard to damage your video card, so don't worry too much.
November 21, 2010 10:54:49 PM

If you do open your case up, don't leave it exposed without using an external fan to blow air into the open side. This is because closing your case actually helps your circulation because it creates better vacuum for your exhaust fan to push air from inside the case out.

I might also suggest a PCI slot fan, they are fairly cheap and you can mount them in the PCI slot right next to the GPU's heatsink, and the slot fan will draw air right off the top of the GPU's heatsink and exhaust it out the back. Usually helps GPU temps about 3-5C, maybe more depending on how powerful of a fan you get.

I have this fan in my comp, it's very quiet and does a decent job of moving warm air out the back.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It is out of stock, but thats just an example of a possible solution. Make sure you get an exhaust fan if you go this route.
m
l
November 26, 2010 11:22:52 AM

My card idles at 400MHz then at goes up to 750MHz with load. I just bought another monitor the other day and so I now have the 5750 connected to 3 monitors. But strangly the card now idles at 49'C with 3 monitors connected, instead of when I only had 2.
m
l
November 26, 2010 11:23:12 AM

Best answer selected by RealityClash.
m
l
!