Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Life expectancy of PSUs

Last response: in Systems
a b ) Power supply
January 16, 2011 5:59:17 PM

Does anyone know the average life expectancy of Power Supplies? I'm considering buying a used Corsair 750W ATX power supply on ebay, but it's almost a year and half old, so I wonder if it will still be any good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CORSAIR-750W-SLI-CF-core-i7-compati...

I need this PSU to run my twin HD 5850's in CrossFire mode, with a bit of OC on them, so I figured I would need every bit of that 750W, but if this PSU deteriorates over age and becomes unstable under max load, I really don't want it to fry the rest of my system.

More about : life expectancy psus

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a c 271 ) Power supply
January 16, 2011 6:04:56 PM

Corsair warranties them for 5 years, so at least that long, good units like that generally last ~7 years. It should be fine for 2 5850s in CF.
January 20, 2011 7:11:54 AM

If I remember correctly, my 550 W corsair is rated for 100,000 hours. That's a lot of MMORPG grinding.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2011 5:09:02 PM

It is hard to say with something that was pre used, as you do not know how the previous user may have abused it. I would look for a decent one on a discounting website like www.directron.com, eaglebit (not sure if they are still selling stuff), or the like and save yoruself the worry. Not to mention you will know what you qualify for the warranty as with a used one, the previous owner may have opened the thing up and voided the warranty.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 27, 2011 1:27:38 AM

Best answer selected by thismafiaguy.
m
l
!